Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3700X and Dark Rock Pro 4 hitting 85c and more in stress tests in undervolt

Go to solution Solved by DangerPizzaSlice,
3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Filling big gaps with thermalpaste is by far not ideal but it may work here.

I put another paste, cooler master one, and noticed a scratch on a cooler surface.

Turns out top mount was pushing way more than bottom one, making the pressure uneven.

I put a rubber pad below the screws (DIY) and remounted.

Temps at prime 95 AVX load 62 open case, 65 closed case.

Up to 80 still when Prime95 working along with Furmark, GPU is going up to 67 (WHAT? it was 72 in games before wtf?) 

Still with a reasonable load it seems to be a shitload cooler.

Faulty mounting it is. Case closed, thanks everyone! Another win for humanity

IMG_20201022_145744.jpg

IMG_20201022_145425.jpg

IMG_20201022_145414.jpg

IMG_20201022_145404.jpg

IMG_20201022_145258.jpg

IMG_20201022_145246.jpg

Screenshot_7.png

As a title stands.

All reviews indicating that temperatures must be around 40 idle and 70-75 under load, but i have 55 idle and 85 under load, in games, when the GPU also producing heat, it can go all the way to 95.

Definetely something is wrong.

Thermal paste is MX4 2019

I re-seated the tower a couple of times, trying to make it better, with no success.

Coolers stays cold to the touch when the cpu is 10 minutes under the torture with 85C, straight line.

Bad contact? Bad mounting pad?

And yes i removed the plastic cover.

No idea where to look at.

undervolt -0.0750 offset, LLC level 4, all energy saving features ON, frequency under torture ~4000-4050

Just now, DangerPizzaSlice said:

All reviews indicating that temperatures must be around 40 idle and 70-75 under load, but i have 55 idle and 85 under load, in games, when the GPU also producing heat, it can go all the way to 95.

Definetely something is wrong.

What are you ambient temperatures, the temperature in the room the PC is sitting in?

If the review was tested under 20°C ambient and the room your PC is in is 30°C ambient, that means the temperatures actually line up (because the way to measure temperature is °C over ambient, AKA delta over ambient).

But I would say 95°C is kind of warm.

What case are you using?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

1 minute ago, minibois said:

What are you ambient temperatures, the temperature in the room the PC is sitting in?

If the review was tested under 20°C ambient and the room your PC is in is 30°C ambient, that means the temperatures actually line up (because the way to measure temperature is °C over ambient, AKA delta over ambient).

But I would say 95°C is kind of warm.

What case are you using?

H440 NZXT

My room is cold AF, it's almost winter in Russia, i'd say 23 is the ambient. 18 if i open the balcony.

Airflow.jpg

You already have a 3080? o.o

Is there a possibility to remove the front panel for testing purposes?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, 19_blackie_73 said:

You already have a 3080? o.o

Is there a possibility to remove the front panel for testing purposes?

got it from a greedy store in greedy country, costed me 1000$. but we have msrp for FE 815$, so, not THAT bad i guess.

Removing the side AND front panel gives 2C less.

2 minutes ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

got it from a greedy store in greedy country, costed me 1000$. but we have msrp for FE 815$, so, not THAT bad i guess.

Removing the side AND front panel gives 2C less.

You may indeed have a bad touching cooler here. The h440 isn't a good airflow case but even with the panels removed you are having those temps so I have a feeling your cooler may have a hardware defect. Did you try using the included paste? Did you use enough paste? Rather too much than too little the leftovers are squeezed out anyways.

12 minutes ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

when the GPU also producing heat, it can go all the way to 95.

I'm willing to bet that the GPU is heat soaking the DRP4. Had the same issue with a GTX 1080 HOF (open air card) and a DRP4 on a 3950X. Had a blower RTX 2080 Ti for a bit  and the issue didn't appear. Granted I'm using a much smaller case (Lian Li TU150) so some airflow penalties are to be expected. But I'd say for sure that it's GPU heat rising and cooking the cooler,

12 minutes ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

Bad contact

Could be this also. Doesn't help with the positioning of the Zen 2 dies under the IHS.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, jaslion said:

You may indeed have a bad touching cooler here. The h440 isn't a good airflow case but even with the panels removed you are having those temps so I have a feeling your cooler may have a hardware defect. Did you try using the included paste? Did you use enough paste? Rather too much than too little the leftovers are squeezed out anyways.

MX4 is doing alright in other PC i have built, also have a CoolerMaster MasterGel Pro

It is about the same performance as MX4 but a bit harder to spread out.

I always use a credit card to even out the layer, whole cpu is covered good.

When i remove the tower print is just perfect, i don't know what the hell is going on. 

I used to have Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO, and thought it was not enough.

Swapped it for BQ DRP4 which is literally double the size, and temps are EXACT same.

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I'm willing to bet that the GPU is heat soaking the DRP4. Had the same issue with a GTX 1080 HOF (open air card) and a DRP4 on a 3950X. Had a blower RTX 2080 Ti for a bit  and the issue didn't appear. Granted I'm using a much smaller case (Lian Li TU150) so some airflow penalties are to be expected. But I'd say for sure that it's GPU heat rising and cooking the cooler,

Could be this also. Doesn't help with the positioning of the Zen 2 dies under the IHS.

i guess scalping isn't a thing on zen 2? somebody did that as i remember, but it was almost one way to trashcan ride.

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

1070 was a little more cool even with overclock, but the CPU temps was the same as now, with 3080

2 minutes ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

MX4 is doing alright in other PC i have built, also have a CoolerMaster MasterGel Pro

It is about the same performance as MX4 but a bit harder to spread out.

I always use a credit card to even out the layer, whole cpu is covered good.

When i remove the tower print is just perfect, i don't know what the hell is going on. 

I used to have Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO, and thought it was not enough.

Swapped it for BQ DRP4 which is literally double the size, and temps are EXACT same.

I'd say instead of spreading the paste out try to just put a big blob in the middle and see if that helps. It all really points to bad contact and that may fix it.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I'd say instead of spreading the paste out try to just put a big blob in the middle and see if that helps. It all really points to bad contact and that may fix it.

BRB doing that

1 minute ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

BRB doing that

Do you have any very flat surface at hand to check if the cpu is flat? If it spins on the heatspreader or worst case wobbles you might need to flatten it to get better temps

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

25 minutes ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

i guess scalping isn't a thing on zen 2? somebody did that as i remember, but it was almost one way to trashcan ride.

Delidding doesn't appear to be a major thing for Zen 2. Zen 2 is soldered so the risk of destruction is pretty high. der8aur did some testing and dropped 5C~.

24 minutes ago, DangerPizzaSlice said:

1070 was a little more cool even with overclock, but the CPU temps was the same as now, with 3080

I'm fairly convinced that it's the GPU heat rising and heat soaking the cooler (purely based off my experience with open air and blower GPUs). The stock fans on the DRP4 are kind of pathetic imo. Maybe more powerful fans would move the heat but if would definitely be noisier.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

21 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I'm fairly convinced that it's the GPU heat rising and heat soaking the cooler (purely based off my experience with open air and blower GPUs). The stock fans on the DRP4 are kind of pathetic imo. Maybe more powerful fans would move the heat but if would definitely be noisier.

Agreed. OP can try to setup his motherboard in a test bench style. The GPU temp wont influence the CPU as much and it will be easier to check if the DRP2 is broken. If you check the base of the cooler and the heat pipe temperature when the CPU is under load you might be able to determine where the heat isn't coming through and if the cooler is actually broken.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

I put another paste, cooler master one, and noticed a scratch on a cooler surface.

Turns out top mount was pushing way more than bottom one, making the pressure uneven.

I put a rubber pad below the screws (DIY) and remounted.

Temps at prime 95 AVX load 62 open case, 65 closed case.

Up to 80 still when Prime95 working along with Furmark, GPU is going up to 67 (WHAT? it was 72 in games before wtf?) 

Still with a reasonable load it seems to be a shitload cooler.

Faulty mounting it is. Case closed, thanks everyone! Another win for humanity

IMG_20201022_145744.jpg

IMG_20201022_145425.jpg

IMG_20201022_145414.jpg

IMG_20201022_145404.jpg

IMG_20201022_145258.jpg

IMG_20201022_145246.jpg

Screenshot_7.png

2 hours ago, CHTot said:

Agreed. OP can try to setup his motherboard in a test bench style. The GPU temp wont influence the CPU as much and it will be easier to check if the DRP2 is broken. If you check the base of the cooler and the heat pipe temperature when the CPU is under load you might be able to determine where the heat isn't coming through and if the cooler is actually broken.

it was kinda broken as it turned out.