Are used PS4s reliable?

Shammikit

So I have always wanted a PS4 to play the PS exclusives but never could afford one as they are quite expensive in our country. The used market isnt that cheap either. However when the PS5 hits the stores im expecting many people would sell their PS4s to upgrade to the PS5 and as a result im hoping the prices will go down a bit lower. My biggest concern however is their reliability. The last console I had was an Xbox 360, had 2 of them and both got RROD. I really dont want to go through another one of those situations as consoles are pretty much un-repairable to my experience because everything is on the mobo. Is it 'safe' If i were to get a used one of those early 500gb PS4 models or even the ones that came later?

Same as every used product, they can be good or bad.

RROD was a plague, but MS fix it in newer models.

PS4 afaik doesn't have such problem, or at least not as prevalent as RROD, they called it BLOD btw.

Just like the PS3, get the slimmer one instead of the fat one, it got better (newer) component.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I think you're safe buying a used PS4. Even an early one. I've had two PS4s (1st gen and a PRO). Never had any issues  with either of the. PS4 has solid reputation for reliability.

If possible check the console before buying: Disc drive reads discs, usb ports work (charging and connection), controller works and no overheating problems during game play.

When I've sold used consoles, I always give the buyer the opportunity to play a game for a while to see, that the console doesn't overheat. 

If you can get it for the same price, go for the slim model. But you should be ok with any model.

Consoles I take as fine to buy used I got 3 Xbox 360s used One redringed because of me but fixable, a ps4 if it turns on that's it there could be a low chance of bad HDD but I would not think so

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

PS4 has nothing like the plague of RROD that the early 360 had (I personally went through 5 XBox 360s until Microsoft finally sent me an Opus board 360 in 2009 that has worked fine since). Still, I wouldn't buy the original model PS4. You'd be much better off on average with a PS4 Slim since the original consumes anywhere from 50% to 100% more power than the Slim and any Slim you get you'd know it would be no more than four years old. I have heard the original model PS4 are also pretty loud, but my PS4 Slim is quiet on every game I have played other than God of War.

Do you have Black Friday sales in Sri Lanka? Because the US Playstation Store runs some of its best deals the two weeks or so around Black Friday, so if you're looking to buy digital games might keep that in mind. Two recommendations since you're interested in the exclusives:

1. Buy the complete edition of Bloodborne. I think it's the game of the century and the DLC has the best bossfights in the game.

2. If you're into RPG pay the extra for Persona 5 Royal instead of Persona 5. Not only for the new content, but it also fleshes out the story better and Royal is quite a bit less grindy than the original Persona 5 is. Easily my favorite RPG this gen and probably my third favorite turn-based RPG ever made, behind Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and Fallout 2. Speaking of SMT Nocturne, that's coming out in English on PS4 in Spring 2021 according to the publisher Atlus.

When you really think about Playstation brand occupies hundreds of good exclusive games besides multiplatform titles. Great console, and yes, eventually/maybe all games will end up on pc platform. You my friend, don't waste time WAITING to play those games. Just buy the console, worth every penny.

1 hour ago, centurion_08 said:

When you really think about Playstation brand occupies hundreds of good exclusive games besides multiplatform titles. Great console, and yes, eventually/maybe all games will end up on pc platform. You my friend, don't waste time WAITING to play those games. Just buy the console, worth every penny.

Yeah PS4 is one of the greatest consoles to ever release. I still have PS2 as my #1, nothing touches the amount of groundbreaking games that were designed for that system, but PS4 edges out the Super Nintendo for my #2 slot all time. I think I'd rank

1. PS2

2. PS4

3. SNES

4. NES

Kind of a coin flip between XBox 360 and Switch for my #5 slot.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Do you have Black Friday sales in Sri Lanka?

sadly no. a few computer stores give like 5% off pathetic discounts which hardly counts as a discount. For consoles theres no proper agent here. there are a few companies that bring sony devices such as TVs but not consoles. The stores that bring them probably keep a high profit margin and sell them which makes the console very overpriced. Which is why even the used market price is pretty high.