Starting my IT Degree Need a laptop!!

So as the title explains, I need  a laptop for uni. I am studying IT, more specifically Networks and Security.

My university doesn't have a preferred OS.

So I'm stumped on what to get.

My budget is no more than $2200 AUD

THANKS

Unless your program is using something weird, you don't really need that powerful of a computer for networking and security. It helps to be able to run at least one VM, so a multicore processor and at least 8GB of ram, preferably 16G should be good. For reference, I am finishing my networking degree, and our whole course was based on online tools (Cisco Networking Academy aka netacad and Canvas, a site used for online courses). I used a MacBook since that's what I prefer with a core I7 4750HQ and 8GB of ram and I have been able to do everything on it. The one thing I would have liked is a bit more ram, I was able to run everything but 16GB would have given a smoother experience. For the things that required Windows or Linux, I created VMs for them that I would only need to run one at a time. I don't know how similar your program will be, I would suggest asking the professors/instructors what programs will be used and any other requirements. Hopefully this helps. 

43 minutes ago, Dennis Tech Tips said:

So as the title explains, I need  a laptop for uni. I am studying IT, more specifically Networks and Security.

My university doesn't have a preferred OS.

So I'm stumped on what to get.

THANKS

I'm from Belgium, not really sure what models you have in Australia. When I started my IT degree, I bought an overkill laptop for 2000 euros. It had way more than I ever needed.

Right now, for 1099 euros, there is the HP Pavilion 15-e1575nd. Probably a different model in Australia, but you could get something similar. It features a Ryzen 7 4800H with 8 cores and 16 threads, 512GB NVMe and 16 GB RAM. Also equipped with a GTX 1660-Ti Max-Q, so should play some games as well.

Try to find something with at least 8 threads, 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM. You don't NEED to go overkill with a core i9 and 32 GB RAM, but if you want to use the full budget, you definitely can :)

45 minutes ago, Dennis Tech Tips said:

Any preferences on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 5:41 PM, genexis_x said:

Any preferences on weight and battery life?

The weight isn't a concern, however I would like a really good battery life

40 minutes ago, Dennis Tech Tips said:

really good battery life

min how many hours?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128