Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What solutions are for a home network with needs for dual IP access to Canada and USA

Searching for a solution to implement a dual network one to allow US content on a home network, with also devices connected to a Canada network. In thinking about solutions here are the thoughts...

1) Setup a dual internet services with separate networks one dedicated with a VPN for Canada and the other USA issue having two separate lines, two separate equipment sets for this setup

2) Setup two separate VLAN's one Canada and one USA but not sure how to setup router to point to the right IP in the USA or Canada

3) Setup two separate VPN hardware devices and connected the devices physically to each via separate wireless access points connected to a switch connected to a router connected to a modem in bridge mode

4) Setup a VPN service on the router but it only allows for one setup at a time resulting in one country having to manually change settings for the other

5) VPN software on device is a pain as it's not homogenous across devices like Apple TV, Netflix on LG WebOS TV

Perhaps there are other easier solutions than the list above to implement solutions to allow content from multiple countries onto one network. 

Here is my existing capability. 

Current equipment

1) Cisco SG-200 26 port switch 

2) Ubitquiti edge router 

3) Asus RT-AX88U

4) Shaw internet connection 1gb 

5) NordVPN 

End user connections 

1) Apple TV

2) LG WebOS 

3) Amazon Alexa devices 

4) Ipad

5) Laptops 

6) Apple Music 

7) Google play

8) Xbox 

9) Amazon Alexa 

Applications 

1) Netflix

2) Youtube 

3) Hulu

4) SiriusXM

5) iTunes

6) Microsoft Store 

7) Microsoft Office 

8) Windows 10 

In having experimented with VPN the Microsoft Windows and Store experience provided the most problems with country region issues. Xbox and other devices the problem in Canada is that some features continue to be unavailable. 

In summary....

1) Trying to solve the challenge of features not being available in Canada 

2) Trying to solve the issues of content regions preventing access to streaming content without manual intervention 

3) Trying to solve the setup locations of stores for purchases 

The ultimate solution would

1) Be setup via hardware with no user intervention 

2) Self maintain connections if a VPN drops to reconnect 

3) Monitor activity and usage 

4) Require limited hardware to setup and configure 

5) Not cause additional problems with applications with existing subscriptions 

6) Not require two internet connections and separate networks for each device 

I don't know if it's possible but I would like one network with all of the routing and VPN solutions behind the scenes so that it's transparent to the users so that websites like Netflix, Hulu, and anything else country centric works without having to manual configure or change network settings. This may simply not exist, but if there is a simple solution to this complex problem I would be entirely grateful to learn more. Willing to invest in equipment if needed that provides a solid maintenance free high performance solution. 

2 minutes ago, James Laitinen said:

I don't know if it's possible but I would like one network with all of the routing and VPN solutions behind the scenes so that it's transparent to the users so that websites like Netflix, Hulu, and anything else country centric works without having to manual configure or change network settings. This may simply not exist, but if there is a simple solution to this complex problem I would be entirely grateful to learn more.

If you have a good router, yes, you can configure dual-WAN on it and you can route traffic to specific addresses over specific WAN-interface. The two WAN-interfaces don't have to both be physical ones; one of them can be a VPN-connection, yes.

It's quite a lot of work to set up and you need to learn the basics of networking, routing and DNS, plus how to operate a proper router. To get started, install a proper router-OS like e.g. Opnsense or Pfsense on a box you want to use as the router, then learn how to use it. (No, I'm not going to hand-hold you through the whole thing, unless I get paid for it. It's too much work.)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@James Laitinen

Since you have an EdgeRouter already, you can look into policy-based routing over a VPN, but keep in mind that the EdgeRouter CPU will be its bottleneck when it comes to handling OpenVPN. So your maximum bandwidth for clients connecting through the VPN will probably be too slow for more than 1 user.

One possible solution to this would be to run an OpenVPN client off of a separate device that sits in between the primary router and all of the clients needing to connect through the VPN. I’ve done this before using AdvancedTomato on a Netgear R7000 with varying success.

I agree with @WereCatf that you should upgrade your router. I love the EdgeRouter, but your needs require better-performing hardware.