Too early to start a Ryzen 5800x system build plan?

Delicieuxz

Dunno if it's too early for this - particularly when it comes to motherboard options, as I want to be sure that whatever motherboard I get will take proper advantage of Zen 3's capabilities and not some Zen 2-optimized board that just works with Zen 3. At the same time, I want to have an idea of what to buy so that when Black Friday is here I can look for useful deals.

The budget is flexible, but I don't want to be throwing money away. I don't care about RGB and I won't be seeing inside of my case anyway.

I already have a graphics card, monitor, keyboard and mouse, and some 2.5" SSDs.

So, what I'm looking for are the following components:

Case - Good airflow, easy-to-clean dust-filter, room for plenty of SSDs, preferably 4 - 5 USB connectors on the front. My current case, a Corsair 600T, has 5 USB connectors on the front, and I sometimes am using all of them.

PSU - Reliable, solid warranty, and has to be able to handle an RTX 3080 with a Ryzen 3800x and a bunch of SSDs.

CPU - Ryzen 5800x is the plan.

Air CPU cooler - I have a Noctua NH-D15 in my current PC, and I think it's great.

Motherboard - No idea what to look for. It should be capable and reliable, caters to Zen 3, quality components, not throwing money away. Not looking for small form-factor.

1 TB or 2 TB NVMe drive - I like Samsung drives, but I'm open to looking at other things.

RAM - 2x16 32 GB, potentially 4000 mhz. Whatever is best-suited for the CPU, has good timing, and doesn't cost a crazy amount. I think that I saw a 4000 Mhz version of this RAM on sale for around $200 CAD in the past month or so. I hope there will be a similar deal available during Black Friday.

Optical drive - I haven't bought one since 2011 and don't really know what's good.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I don’t have the time or sanity to open pc part picker on mobile rn, so stick with.

case: meshify c is a good pick, good airflow, good cable management

Psu: Corsair rmx 650 will probably be fine, maybe a 700 but you won’t need it 

Cpu: your pick seems perfect 

Motherboard: I have the auros b550 pro, and it’s a cheaper option that I can whole heartedly recommend, it’s 5th gen so you get the goodies like pcie gen 4, etc.

Ssd: please don’t go Samsung, there’s better alternatives like a sabrent rocket

ram: 4000mhz isn’t needed, go for 3200mhz cl14, or 3600cl15, either are fine, but the 3200 seems to be a litttle cheaper

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Zen 3 is designed for am4 so it’s the chip being designed for the motherboard rather than visa versa. supposed to only be drop in compatible with b550 and x570.  B450 will become possible supposedly but not till next year.  All the x3xx stuff is right out.  The most recent board is b550 and tends to have the newest port types on it.  X570 has versatility advantages but it is older so you may need extra cards to get equivalent port functionality. 

Case: front panel connectors will matter.  There’s several types of USB ant they all have different front panel connector plugs.  You’ll need to match the motherboard with the case for that.

CPU.  Might be early.

CPU cooler. They’re claiming 105w but chip density is unknown.  A Dh15 will likely work.  How well is still unknown.

motherboard:  B550 has 3.0, 3.1, and sometimes other stuff generally. B450 tends to not have 3.1.  X570 depends wildly from mobo to mobo.

NVME: I still remain unimpressed with nvme myself though I suspect that will change very soon.  My personal move would be to leave any nvme4.0 ports empty and buy a drive for them later after it is known if they are needed.  Meanwhile a single big sata SSD is like 95% as useful and you can turn it into a storage drive later so no waste.  

RAM:  I’ve heard the sweet spot for ryzen3 has been bumped to 4000mhz from 3600mhz.  It’s just a rumor though.  One reason things might still be too early. 16mb gb preferred for gaming possibly more for other stuff depending

Optical drive:  neither have I. They’re considered antique.  Some cases don’t even have 51/4” bays anymore.  They’re slow enough an external USB one could be slapped on later if it turns out you have a use for it

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, litragex said:

like Pong? maybe Space Race or Chrome Dino Game

Lol.  Point. 16gb

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Case - Good airflow, easy-to-clean dust-filter, room for plenty of SSDs, preferably 4 - 5 USB connectors on the front. My current case, a Corsair 600T, has 5 USB connectors on the front, and I sometimes am using all of them.

Phateks p500A,p400A,p 300 mesh

corsair 220t airflow.

PSU - Reliable, solid warranty, and has to be able to handle an RTX 3080 with a Ryzen 3800x and a bunch of SSDs.

Any tier A psu form this tier list: 

wattage wise 650w is enough.

Air CPU cooler - I have a Noctua NH-D15 in my current PC, and I think it's great.

Will work great

Motherboard - No idea what to look for. It should be capable and reliable, caters to Zen 3, quality components, not throwing money away. Not looking for small form-factor.

Any asus entry x570 will be fine or any decent b550 board (asus prime p, prime pro) (b550: msi a pro, tomahawk, VDH wifi)

checxk this tier list and get anyhign form tier C- tier B, Ter A,S- or S are way overkill for air cooling.

1 TB or 2 TB NVMe drive - I like Samsung drives, but I'm open to looking at other things

Overpriced

Rocket Q

sx 8200 pro

Rocket 4.0

AM - 2x16 32 GB, potentially 4000 mhz. Whatever is best-suited for the CPU, has good timing, and doesn't cost a crazy amount. I think that I saw a 4000 Mhz version of this RAM on sale for around $200 CAD in the past month or so. I hope there will be a similar deal available during Black Friday.

16 gigs for gaming is plenty. 32 gigs is overkill.  4000mhz is hard to accomplis at Zen 2. *We do not know if you can get it to work with the 5800x. but 3600mhz ram is good enough

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

I found a case with close to the ideal feature set for me.

https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-obsidian-series-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811139024

- 4 front USB ports

- lots of internal drive slots

- optical disc drive slots

- easy-to-access and clean dust filter

However, it's quite a bit more expensive than a lot of other cases. And I don't know why two of the USB ports on the front are only USB 2.0, and I wish that the USB ports on the front were on the top of the case and not pointing-out from the front where devices plugged into them will create more strain on the ports and possibly get broken more easily from something (like my leg) hitting them. A USB-C port would be cool, too.

This one is similar at less than half the price, but with only 2 front USB ports:

https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-carbide-series-200r-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139018

Also a possible contender. Although, I wonder if the silent design would mean more heat in the case (though I do like quiet operation):

https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-110q-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139151

A bit ugly, but it has the necessary features:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_1937&item_id=119866

Is it possible to replace the front USB 2 port on this case with a USB 3 port (and have it function at USB 3 speeds)?

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352069?Item=N82E16811352069

I'm surprised at how awful most cases look, and how lacking in a smart selection of features they are.

2(+) front USB 3.0 + USB-C + 1x 5.25" + 4 internal drive space + easy-access front dust-filter + good airflow + sleek look = bingo.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Dunno if it's too early for this - particularly when it comes to motherboard options, as I want to be sure that whatever motherboard I get will take proper advantage of Zen 3's capabilities and not some Zen 2-optimized board that just works with Zen 3. At the same time, I want to have an idea of what to buy so that when Black Friday is here I can look for useful deals.

The budget is flexible, but I don't want to be throwing money away. I don't care about RGB and I won't be seeing inside of my case anyway.

I already have a graphics card, monitor, keyboard and mouse, and some 2.5" SSDs.

So, what I'm looking for are the following components:

CPU - Ryzen 5800x is the plan.

1 TB or 2 TB NVMe drive - I like Samsung drives, but I'm open to looking at other things.

RAM - 2x16 32 GB, potentially 4000 mhz. Whatever is best-suited for the CPU, has good timing, and doesn't cost a crazy amount. I think that I saw a 4000 Mhz version of this RAM on sale for around $200 CAD in the past month or so. I hope there will be a similar deal available during Black Friday.

Optical drive - I haven't bought one since 2011 and don't really know what's good.

Assuming the motherboard you choose has a usb C on the back would a USB C hub with a long cord work so you can place it where you want if you cannot find a case you like?

If so then what about the Corsair Crystal Series 680X? Assuming its within your budget and if you like it the airflow potential looks decent enough.

1 minute ago, kyn1972 said:

Assuming the motherboard you choose has a usb C on the back would a USB C hub with a long cord work so you can place it where you want if you cannot find a case you like?

Yeah, probably. I don't actually have a current need for USB-C. However, I'm building a PC expecting it to last 5+ years, like my current one that I built in 2011 (with some select upgrades along the way) and I'm only speculating that in 3 years USB-C might be more relevant to me. Then again, maybe it won't be.

Do not forget a number of cases have USB C port on the front as well so you could maybe get by with a hub c with a shorter cord connected to it should there be a signal issue with having to long of a cord for the usb c hub.

7 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Rocket Q

I recommend the tlc, over the qlc, since the op was gonna go Samsung, it will still be cheaper than the Samsung, and have better speeds then the rocketq and a little better durability if he plans to use the drive for a while.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

See i am at the same point... upgrade my 8 year old gaming rig... and i also selected same 5800x CPU... but i will re-use some of my components...

So my case, i will be using my trusty old Cosmos 2, it's big, bulky and has plenty of space, no need to change... especially because i am switching to an ATX motherboard from a EATX, so will even have more space.

I planned for as you read, 5800X, and need ram and motherboard, for the Ram i took 4x16GB (64gb Total) of G.Skill Ripjaws CL16 at 3200.. sweet spot for me, since 64Gb isn't cheap... i do some gaming but i need memory and core/threads for my VM's that i run on a regular basis... no need for a 5900X or 5950X either... 5800X is the sweetspot to replace my now older i7-3930k... i needed more cores and more thread... plenty with the 5800X

For the motherboard, i elected the Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, due out at the same time that the Zen 3 will be available... and i already got a few M.2 PCIe laying around, but i will pick one as a PCIe 4.0 to benefit from the speed for the Boot drive... rest is my old stuff i am running, an old PC Power and Cooling 950w PSU, plenty of power... and my old HDD's that are still fine... just waiting on the GPU, i will wait for Big Navi and see if it can compete with current new lineup of Nvidia 3000... no need for a 3080 or 3090, but sweet spot would be a 3070 when the go out... but will wait on Big Navi and see the benchmarks, and will select the better one for the buck when available...

SO i wanted a new CPU/MOBO/RAM like you, mostly, and we selected same CPU... gave you my choice of Mobo... which i think is plenty for me, and it's due out same time Zen 3 will go out... can't be wrong with this, and the Dark Hero has no chipset fan for cooling, which is a BIG PLUS for me, as i hate those tiny whining fans... so fanless is better for me. Will be re-using my trusty older H100i cooler, it is compatible with AM4 socket, and served me well for a few years, will get some more out of it...

Like you did, my last upgrade was in 2012, so i tend to select premium components that will last 5+ years... which explains my choice here.

Happy upgrading!

A slight update to my plan.

Case - still undecided.

PSU - Corsair RM750x

CPU - Ryzen 5800x

Air CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard - possible choices:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE

storage drive - I have some SSDs and will hold-off getting an NVMe, hoping for a price-drop somewhere.

RAM - still planning on 4000 mhz 32GB (2x16GB).

Optical drive - still undecided. Whether it's internal or external will depend on which case I end up getting.