NASA reaches out and touches an asteroid 320 million kilometers away

Pickles von Brine

The spacecraft's performance at the asteroid Bennu, which is only about as wide as the Empire State Building is tall, was remarkable. Because the asteroid is so small, its gravity is negligible, which complicates orbital maneuvering by the spacecraft around what is, essentially, a rubble pile.

Despite these challenges, at a distance of 320 million kilometers on Tuesday, NASA engineers and scientists programmed a spacecraft to autonomously touch down within a single meter of its target area.

Newly released images of the encounter show the spacecraft's sampling arm moving toward the asteroid at a speed of 10cm per second and crushing rocks beneath it as it reaches the surface.

"Literally, we crushed it," said Dante Lauretta, principal investigator of the OSIRIS-REx mission. "When the spacecraft made contact, that rock appears to fragment and shatter, which is great news." This is because the "head" of the sampling arm can only collect material less than 2cm in diameter.

Source

Not sure if this is appropriate for technews, but this is technews in a way. We have successfully touched a distant body and have also retrieved a sample of said body. Really a glorious achievement. I am excited to see what the samples will tell us about Bennu and the solar system at large. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

That's impressive, being able to grab a sample of an asteroid and try to send it back to Earth. NASA is also going to announce an "exciting new discovery" about the Moon on Monday.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

I never how nasa orchestrated these missions. Just trying to wrap my brain on how precise everything has to be and thats its further than you're local mcdonalds. Fascinating. Well at least I know why people say "it isn't rocket science."

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Most of this is automated by the space craft itself seeing as there is a several minute delay in communications. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

fbd.jpg

They do such amazing work over at NASA 😮

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

"exciting new discovery" about the Moon on Monday.

Nasa: the moon is not made of cheese! We can now confirm it with a 99% accuracy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

NASA found an alien colony on the dark side of the moon. More info on Monday.

5 hours ago, LWM723 said:

NASA found an alien colony on the dark side of the moon. More info on Monday.

Funny enough thats one of the theories on why we never have gone back. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

What was weird to me was how desiccated and fragile it looked when the arm touched it.

It gave the impression like it would take almost nothing to break the whole thing into little pieces.

I kept thinking after watching the clip that it was like a big styrofoam rock.

Space is strange.    

😄

3 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

What was weird to me was how desiccated and fragile it looked when the arm touched it.

It gave the impression like it would take almost nothing to break the whole thing into little pieces.

I kept thinking after watching the clip that it was like a big styrofoam rock.

Space is strange.    

😄

Bennu is a rubble pile. Basically, it is held together with its gravity and very litle else.