Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

power consumption of sleeping pc?

It depends on what hardware you have, there is no one definitive answer.

Edit: I was going to use my Kill-a-Watt to let you know how much my system draws when it is put to sleep, but windows decided to be windows and is updating, so... I'll let you know whenever it decides to actually fully start. 

Edit 2: @dfsgsfaComputer finally finished updating, at idle my system with a 9600k and a GTX 1080 draws between 39 and 40 watts, after putting it to sleep Kill-a-Watt shows a power draw of between 0.7 and 0.9 watts. 

depends on hardware

but last time i checked, my PC consumes ~1W even when shut down (RGB lighting)

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

18 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

anyone knows the exact w per hour used?

Fun fact, watt's is already a unit of time. Since that is confusing.... its going to be very, very low. All that is on is your mobo and your RAM, and a little bit of loss through the PSU.

I would assume 1-2 watts tops. 

Rig: i9 9900k @ 5Ghz - - Z390 Auros Elite  - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz @ 3600MHz - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM650i - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS 11.3-U2 - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

23 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

anyone knows the exact w per hour used?

Just enough to keep the ram on standby. Like a 1-2 watts.

If you like you can enable hibernate which will save the memory to the hdd for 0 watt sleep.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

54 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Computer finally finished updating, at idle my system with a 9600k and a GTX 1080 draws between 39 and 40 watts, after putting it to sleep Kill-a-Watt shows a power draw of between 0.7 and 0.9 watts. 

shit my system with a 3900x and 980ti idles over 100w lmao, near 90w with a 3600...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

8 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

shit my system with a 3900x and 980ti idles over 100w lmao, near 90w with a 3600...

Just checked my main system with a 7700k and a 1080ti, that one idles at almost 120W... yikes. There are a few reasons for that though, the 9600k system has a fresh install of windows with about 5 programs on it, while my main one has a lot of background processes running. Also the 9600k is going to be an HTPC so it doesn't have any rgb lights, only storage right now is a m.2 SATA drive, and there are no case fans. My main one in contrast has rgb lights on the ram and graphics card, has an SSD plus multiple 3.5" hard drives, and 8 case fans.

@dfsgsfa in case you wanted some more data, the main system idles at almost 120W like mentioned and when sleeping draws 2.3W - 2.7W.