Known to be safe Molex-to-SATA Adapter?

piemadd
Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
12 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

I've read in some places to look for a specifically built sata connector which is a lot less likely to shorts. My drives dont require 3.3v, but if they did I could probably get away with splitting the 5v line and adding a resistor to one side. Might just end up making my own since I really don't want to trust any manufacturer lol.

If you have the ability to make your own.... make your own.

I can hear the comments already, "don't use molex to sata" blah blah blah...the thing is I have no choice. I am rocking a Supermicro CSE-828 / 8026B-6RF 2U with 2 1200W/1400W PSUs(depending on wall outlet voltage). I have the standard 24 pin out, 3 eps power connectors for the motherboard (If you would like to see the motherboard I am using, refer to LTT's 64 core on the cheap workstation vid), and 4 molex connectors. 2 of the molex connectors are for the sas backplane, with the other 2 presumable for miscellaneous parts. This means I will need to get a molex to sata connector for my boot ssd and general storage ssd, as they quite obviously don't have molex connectors on them. Does anybody know of a trusted, tested, and known to not light stuff on fire adapter? I don't have many other options unless I want to wire up an adapter of my own (which doesn't sound like a half-bad idea ngl).

i like trains 馃檪

for low power applications like 1 or 2 hard disks, i wouldnt stress too much about it being a fire hazard unless it's a short or something

but take note that there's no 3.3v from molex, which sata power have

if your storage requires that, it wont work

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for low power applications like 1 or 2 hard disks, i wouldnt stress too much about it being a fire hazard unless it's a short or something

but take note that there's no 3.3v from molex, which sata power have

if your storage requires that, it wont work

I've read in some places to look for a specifically built sata connector which is a lot less likely to shorts. My drives dont require 3.3v, but if they did I could probably get away with splitting the 5v line and adding a resistor to one side. Might just end up making my own since I really don't want to trust any manufacturer lol.

i like trains 馃檪

12 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

If you have the ability to make your own.... make your own.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe聽Boot + Main Programs聽- -聽Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x聽- -聽Sound BlasterX EA-5聽- - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block聽- -聽XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2聽- - Acer Predator X34 --聽Logitech G502聽- - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500聽- - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - -聽Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server:聽Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM鈥檚

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

As long as you're keeping below the ~30w SATA connector maximum power, you should be fine with any crimped pin design of Molex to SATA, like聽this one.

It's the moulded style ones which are prone to spontaneous combustion.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro |聽32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[聽ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz聽|聽O11D-XL聽|聽HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm |聽XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks |聽Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop

On 10/22/2020 at 6:21 AM, HM-2 said:

As long as you're keeping below the ~30w SATA connector maximum power, you should be fine with any crimped pin design of Molex to SATA, like聽this one.

It's the moulded style ones which are prone to spontaneous combustion.

I ended up finding a crimped pin design adapter which came with my seasonic prime platinum, so I think its fairly trustworthy at that

i like trains 馃檪