Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Known to be safe Molex-to-SATA Adapter?

Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
12 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

I've read in some places to look for a specifically built sata connector which is a lot less likely to shorts. My drives dont require 3.3v, but if they did I could probably get away with splitting the 5v line and adding a resistor to one side. Might just end up making my own since I really don't want to trust any manufacturer lol.

If you have the ability to make your own.... make your own.

I can hear the comments already, "don't use molex to sata" blah blah blah...the thing is I have no choice. I am rocking a Supermicro CSE-828 / 8026B-6RF 2U with 2 1200W/1400W PSUs(depending on wall outlet voltage). I have the standard 24 pin out, 3 eps power connectors for the motherboard (If you would like to see the motherboard I am using, refer to LTT's 64 core on the cheap workstation vid), and 4 molex connectors. 2 of the molex connectors are for the sas backplane, with the other 2 presumable for miscellaneous parts. This means I will need to get a molex to sata connector for my boot ssd and general storage ssd, as they quite obviously don't have molex connectors on them. Does anybody know of a trusted, tested, and known to not light stuff on fire adapter? I don't have many other options unless I want to wire up an adapter of my own (which doesn't sound like a half-bad idea ngl).

for low power applications like 1 or 2 hard disks, i wouldnt stress too much about it being a fire hazard unless it's a short or something

but take note that there's no 3.3v from molex, which sata power have

if your storage requires that, it wont work

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for low power applications like 1 or 2 hard disks, i wouldnt stress too much about it being a fire hazard unless it's a short or something

but take note that there's no 3.3v from molex, which sata power have

if your storage requires that, it wont work

I've read in some places to look for a specifically built sata connector which is a lot less likely to shorts. My drives dont require 3.3v, but if they did I could probably get away with splitting the 5v line and adding a resistor to one side. Might just end up making my own since I really don't want to trust any manufacturer lol.

12 minutes ago, pierom_qwerty said:

If you have the ability to make your own.... make your own.

Rig: i9 9900k @ 5Ghz - - Z390 Auros Elite  - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz @ 3600MHz - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM650i - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS 11.3-U2 - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

As long as you're keeping below the ~30w SATA connector maximum power, you should be fine with any crimped pin design of Molex to SATA, like this one.

It's the moulded style ones which are prone to spontaneous combustion.

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P
Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

On 10/22/2020 at 6:21 AM, HM-2 said:

As long as you're keeping below the ~30w SATA connector maximum power, you should be fine with any crimped pin design of Molex to SATA, like this one.

It's the moulded style ones which are prone to spontaneous combustion.

I ended up finding a crimped pin design adapter which came with my seasonic prime platinum, so I think its fairly trustworthy at that