Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fortnite insstall size dropped to lessthat 30% previous instal with new optimistations.

This isnt quite "news worthy", but I think its pretty cool. Yesterday morning, Fortnite released it's v14.40 update for "Fortnitemeres" update. One thing about the update thats not a nightmare? The total install sze. Origonally, it was almost 100gb for PC, but with this new update, it dropped to only 26gb, a mear 25% of the origonal zsize. 

Now, if COD Warzone could have these optimisations, imagine having Warzone at ~75GB. That would be nice.

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:                                                                /\

(was a H1 build, but I cant spend 400$ on a case)                |

DREAM BUILD BIT BY BIT                        |

• Ryzen 5 5600x                                                                         |
  • ROG Strix B550-f GAMING                                                 |
  • 2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200mhz cl6   |
  • Old drives from Grandma -------------------------------------/
  • New Crucial P1 and Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB
  • Whichever 3070 I can get
  • Meshify C with tempered glass
  • 6 Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo
  • Full custom loop water cooling.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/HelpfulTechWizard/saved/s8XrD3

Damn that's impressive that they were able to optimize it that much, now if only more game developers would do the same. 

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Now, if COD Warzone could have these optimisations, imagine having Warzone at ~75GB. That would be nice.

A few years ago who would have thought that 75GB for a single game would be considered nice and optimized lol.

Makes you wonder why there was 75 GB of apparently unnecessary data before now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Keep in mind that there was probably a lot of cleanup (and probably compression) involved when it came to shrinking Fortnite's install size. 

MW2019 does not have that luxury. I don't believe the game uses compressed archives (I don't think any of the CoD tech has ever used it to help with not overusing resource budgets), not to mention shader data, large texture files and lossless audio will eat up space very quickly. From what I remember, all of the audio in Fortnite is encoded in Opus.

Local dickhead and VHS collector who also has an unhealthy obsession with the 6th generation of consoles.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 94% (content loudness 0.6dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

monchin moo dash

89mph!!!

9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Damn that's impressive that they were able to optimize it that much, now if only more game developers would do the same. 

A few years ago who would have thought that 75GB for a single game would be considered nice and optimized lol.

Yeah,, Ill have to clean up some first, but FN may regain its place on my tiny 128gb boot ssd.

My new PC I'm saving for:                                                                /\

• Ryzen 5 5600x                                                                         |

28 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This isnt quite "news worthy", but I think its pretty cool. Yesterday morning, Fortnite released it's v14.40 update for "Fortnitemeres" update. One thing about the update thats not a nightmare? The total install sze. Origonally, it was almost 100gb for PC, but with this new update, it dropped to only 26gb, a mear 25% of the origonal zsize. 

Wow really that's very cool

And I don't even play Fortnite LOL

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

-= Topic moved to PC Gaming =-

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This sounds a lot like downgradaton to me, so how much worse does the game look now? 

Tho tbf it never was a looker, maybe it's not even noticeable... 

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This sounds a lot like downgradaton to me, so how much worse does the game look now? 

It looks the same. I think they compressed a lot of skins and other stuff and also removed unused assets that it got over the last few years.

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Though I should say that I don't play on high. I play with competive settings (All low or off, view distance high)