Just FYI Microsoft Edge for Linux, Dev Is Out

This is a pre beta Dev build and may eat your children, it may beat you up like Mike Tyson in his prime.  

That said so far ... it is Awesome in how not remarkable it is.  It feels just like the native browser in KDE and seems to have fully and seamlessly without any special considerations integrated into KDE except for storage of and logging into a Microsoft account.  So I can't just sync everything over from Windows.  When this is done it is going to be awesome. 

I just used this in the ultimate stress test.  I taught online remotely using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra to screen share and application share  and video conference with students.  It did not miss a beat.  It did not crash.  It did not fail.  It did everything I asked it to with no drama.  I don't know about legacy websites in it though.  I suspect they'll be fine if Chrome is fine.  

The next test is Netflix.  Getting Netflix to work has taken some extra work.  Netflix works...just works. 

Untitled.png

It's basically chromium. Even on Windows I just use it with IE compatibility mode when I need it.

It would be interesting to see if MS manages to bring that to Linux aswell

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

So you removed Microsoft's kernel code?

You talking to me?  No MS did this officially.  They seem to want to be able to get their apps on the Linux desktop.  Some have been thinking that MS would at some point, if this works, make a version of Windows that was basically Linux with some Microsoft software running on top of it.   You know to provide a familliar user interface and compatability with programs.  Thus relieving them of having to support their own special OS.  If this happened it would be *nix ruling the world.

Personally I think we'd see a re release of Microsoft Xenix before we'd see that. 

OP you like traps i, don't trust you.

This is one big trap to track me isn't it Mr Gates?

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

8 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Personally I think we'd see a re release of Microsoft Xenix before we'd see that. 

The last version of Microsoft Xenix was released not many years ago, assuming that UnixWare is basically its successor.

Write in C.

7 minutes ago, MewMew said:

OP you like traps i, don't trust you.

This is one big trap to track me isn't it Mr Gates?

Actually yes I do like transgender characters in anime.  The term Trap is offensive as it evokes the excuse used by people who murder real life transwomen for having supposedly "tricked" them.  Every year hundreds of us are murdered. 

I like this particular one because she reminds me of myself.  Like if I had been in high school in the 2000's instead of the 1990's. 

7 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The term Trap is offensive

QYm8Gdr.jpg

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

The last version of Microsoft Xenix was released not many years ago, assuming that UnixWare is basically its successor.

Yeah but you know what I mean.  IF it had MS branding on it lots of people would give it a try.  Especially if it supported MS office, had a windows like GUI.  

For a lot of people the browser is the GUI now.  If MS can give people a browser that does everything, has corporate support and cross device syncing, and no Google stuff then it's going to be great. 

3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

You talking to me?  No MS did this officially.  They seem to want to be able to get their apps on the Linux desktop.  Some have been thinking that MS would at some point, if this works, make a version of Windows that was basically Linux with some Microsoft software running on top of it.   You know to provide a familliar user interface and compatability with programs.  Thus relieving them of having to support their own special OS.  If this happened it would be *nix ruling the world.

Well they should get on with it. The NT kernel is a dumpster fire. I've had MS employees who were on the Win team explain to me how deeply flawed the NT kernel is and why I should be using *nix.