Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please give your methods to flash SPI chips at 3.3v from scratch

I made a topic about something similar, but got confused and realized all the recommendations took Arduinos into mind. Let's say I have absolutely nothing. No adapters, no Arduinos, no programmers. I want to be able to flash an SPI chip (on a GPU or motherboard) which operates between 2.3v and 3.6v, so it needs to be compatible with 3.3v. What's the cheapest way to do so?

"SPI chip" could be anything, even an SD card. Though, a lot of microcontrollers are programmed over the SPI protocol. You pretty much need a programmer and/or arduino to talk to an SPI bus. I'd buy a 3.3v logic arduino, perhaps a SAMD21 based board from adafruit, or a cheapass STM32 board from ebay. Do your research on what libraries you may need to get either of these to act as a programmer, so you're probably best off buying an ISP or some other debugger.

ASU

24 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I'd buy a 3.3v logic arduino, perhaps a SAMD21 based board from adafruit, or a cheapass STM32 board from ebay. Do your research on what libraries you may need to get either of these to act as a programmer, so you're probably best off buying an ISP or some other debugger.

That's WAY overcomplicating the matter. A CH341a off of eBay or the likes is extremely cheap and one doesn't need to research any libraries or anything like that, since there are already a bajillion fully fleshed-out apps available. Flashrom, specifically, is the one that's used most often.

7 hours ago, brian105 said:

I want to be able to flash an SPI chip (on a GPU or motherboard) which operates between 2.3v and 3.6v, so it needs to be compatible with 3.3v. What's the cheapest way to do so?

A CH341a + clips to connect it to the chip off of eBay/Amazon/Aliexpress etc. and then using an app called Flashrom on your PC to upload/download the contents of the chip. You may need to desolder the chip off of your mobo/GPU in order to be able to flash, but you can just try with the clips first.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

That's WAY overcomplicating the matter. A CH341a off of eBay or the likes is extremely cheap and one doesn't need to research any libraries or anything like that, since there are already a bajillion fully fleshed-out apps available. Flashrom, specifically, is the one that's used most often.

A CH341a + clips to connect it to the chip off of eBay/Amazon/Aliexpress etc. and then using an app called Flashrom on your PC to upload/download the contents of the chip. You may need to desolder the chip off of your mobo/GPU in order to be able to flash, but you can just try with the clips first.

Do those offer programming over SPI? I thought only UART.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Do those offer programming over SPI? I thought only UART.

You've gotten confused about something. To the operating system, yes, it appears as a serial-port, but they read from/write to SPI-flash on the other end. I have a couple of CH341a-boards myself and yes, I have used them to flash various kinds of chips, including the BIOS on one old mobo I have.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You've gotten confused about something. To the operating system, yes, it appears as a serial-port, but they read from/write to SPI-flash on the other end. I have a couple of CH341a-boards myself and yes, I have used them to flash various kinds of chips, including the BIOS on one old mobo I have.

I think I'm confusing the CH341 with the CH340 which I know to be a USB to UART adapter https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15096

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I think I'm confusing the CH341 with the CH340 which I know to be a USB to UART adapter https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15096

Aye, I know the CH340 as well; I've got a few of the bare chips in my parts-bin for projects. (Though I prefer Prolific's PL2303. It's a few pennies more expensive, but far better in all respects.) But yes, you probably confused the two. Not to worry, it happens!