Burned chip above RGB header

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's most likely a transistor or mosfet, think of it like a very fast on/off switch ... I assume it's there to turn on and off thousands of times a second the electricity going to the strip, which results in your eyes thinking it's different brightness levels.

A broken transistor is either failed short or open - open means there's never gonna be electricity going to the header no matter what command the led controller sends ... failed short means it's stuck always on, which could result in the transistor overheating

Put your finger on top of it, if it's not very hot, then it should be safe to use the motherboard as is ... but you should send it to warranty eventually.  You can safely put the finger on, you're dealing with 12v at most, so there's no risk of electric shock.

ps. looks like it's the transistor that controls the green, it sinks green color to ground ... so in theory if you use only colors that don't use green at all, you could continue to use the led strips safely.

Hi, today I got burned one of the chips above RGB header, my PC turned off immediatelly. I disconnected the led strip and after turning it on, it turned off after about a minute, but after third turn on now everything works fine, but I'm not sure if I have to buy a new motherboard ASAP or I can use this without connecting anything near the RGB header.

I attached a photo what it looks like above that RGB header. I did not find anything else burned.

Specs:

PSU: Gigabyte P550B

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 D

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K

CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 duo

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super Gaming OC

RAM: Gigabyte 2x8GB 2666 MHz

M.2 SSD: Gigabyte 256GB

HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm

Case: Silentiumpc Signum sg1x tg rgb 

IMG_20201021_174824.jpg

RMA the board. its likely still under warranty. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Thank you for fast reply, but I won't be able to get to the shop where I bought it, at least for a week or two.

I forgot to add that I tried GTA V benchmark withou VSync and everything was okay, went as it had to, I'd like to know for now if it's safe to use it until I can go to that shop with it?

2 minutes ago, Matthhoss said:

Thank you for fast reply, but I won't be able to get to the shop where I bought it, at least for a week or two.

I forgot to add that I tried GTA V benchmark withou VSync and everything was okay, went as it had to, I'd like to know for now if it's safe to use it until I can go to that shop with it?

Open an RMA with Gigabyte directly.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I would like to, but I'm from Slovakia, and as I checked now it is only for USA and Canada.

It's most likely a transistor or mosfet, think of it like a very fast on/off switch ... I assume it's there to turn on and off thousands of times a second the electricity going to the strip, which results in your eyes thinking it's different brightness levels.

A broken transistor is either failed short or open - open means there's never gonna be electricity going to the header no matter what command the led controller sends ... failed short means it's stuck always on, which could result in the transistor overheating

Put your finger on top of it, if it's not very hot, then it should be safe to use the motherboard as is ... but you should send it to warranty eventually.  You can safely put the finger on, you're dealing with 12v at most, so there's no risk of electric shock.

ps. looks like it's the transistor that controls the green, it sinks green color to ground ... so in theory if you use only colors that don't use green at all, you could continue to use the led strips safely.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

For safety of the components I turned off the PC and the PSU, after turning it off I did not wait, so only a few seconds and I tried to touch it. It was not hot and I did not feel anything warm there. Does that mean if I won't use any led strip, that it's safe to use that mobo until I can go to the shop with it?

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah you should be fine with it like that.

Okay, thank you for info and fast reply :)

41 minutes ago, Matthhoss said:

I would like to, but I'm from Slovakia, and as I checked now it is only for USA and Canada.

Gigabyte has an RMA location for Slovakia -- Their site even mentions Slovka Republic.

Gigabyte ships / sells their products (e.g. GPU, PSU, motherboard) worldwide, so I don't see why there isn't location(s) near your country.

Looks like what burned is a regulator / transistor for the RGB header.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

Gigabyte has an RMA location for Slovakia -- Their site even mentions Slovka Republic.

Gigabyte ships / sells their products (e.g. GPU, PSU, motherboard) worldwide, so I don't see why there isn't location(s) near your country.

Looks like what burned is a regulator / transistor for the RGB header.

I didn't know that Gigabyte has an RMA location here, thank you :)

• 1 year later...

Same thing happened to me, I had nothing connected to it

B550 Ds3h

PXL_20220824_041719673.thumb.jpg.e2ac41819c18b0830149ed6538c4ab2d.jpg

The chip is a mosfet,  an on-off switch. When a signal comes through one of those thin traces above the LED_CPU text and goes into a contact of the mosfet, there's a connection made between the other two contacts on the mosfet, so electricity can flow and that particular color in the rgb header works (red, green, or blue)  you have 3 mosfets which turn on and off thousands of times a second to adjust brightness of each red, green and blue in the led to produce a particular color value when the three mix together. 

The mosfet seems blown which would indicate that maybe there was some short circuit or something on that particular color, possibly causing too much power to go through the mosfet and damage it. For example, if the mosfet was rated for 2A of current, it's possible a faulty led strip may have caused a short and that short pulled 5A of current for a few milliseconds and that may have been enough to blow the mosfet by overheating it. 

You could easily get some sharp knife or scissors and cut the leads of the mosfet to remove it from the motherboard and the motherboard should work fine, only you would no longer have that color on the rgb header (green in the picture above)

I don't know the exact part number, but it's a mosfet  (or unlikely a npn transistor) in the sot-23 package, and you'd probably want one with a low Vgs threshold, around 2-3v. 

These would probably work as replacement 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/alpha-omega-semiconductor-inc/AO3422/1855787

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/diodes-incorporated/DMG2302UKQ-7/9769911