Good computer but laggy streams. Help!

WolfbyteUK

Hi, I’m currently running off a i9 9900k with a 2080 Super and 32gb of RAM.

I stream to Twitch from a single PC and I constantly have issues streaming Call of Duty: Warzone. I run all the graphics at the lowest settings possible and I’m constantly dropping frames and lagging. I know others who don’t have PC systems as good as mine and they have no issues whatsoever with streaming Warzone. The max FPS I get is like, 60/70 and that’s uncapped.

Modern Warfare is installed on my M.2 drive and the C:\ is installed on a separate SSD. I run OBS/Modern Warfare in admin mode too. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help?

use NVENC with your 2080 super. You're likely using h.264 cpu encoding which is the wrong choice in your situation. If you do go that route, make sure you enable quicksync. But overall, your best bet is to use NVENC. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What resolution, fps, and bit rate do you stream at? what streaming software do you use? What resolution do you play the game at? What is your internet speed and ping like?

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

I wouldnt worry too much about performance as far as fps when you're streaming. You're streaming not benchmarking the pc

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

use NVENC with your 2080 super. You're likely using h.264 cpu encoding which is the wrong choice in your situation. If you do go that route, make sure you enable quicksync. But overall, your best bet is to use NVENC. 

I feel like for a game like Warzone, h.264 would be preferred with the CPU being as beefy as it is?

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

12 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

I feel like for a game like Warzone, h.264 would be preferred with the CPU being as beefy as it is?

when you use h.264 it still affects CPU performance in games. NVENC is just as good as h.264 on the 2000 series cards and should be the default go-to for streaming if you have a Turing based card or newer. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I'm using NVENC.

17 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

What resolution, fps, and bit rate do you stream at? what streaming software do you use? What resolution do you play the game at? What is your internet speed and ping like?

Base Resolution: 1920x1080

Output Resolution: 1536x864

Bitrate: 6000Kbps

I use OBS. I doubt my internet speed or ping is the issue as I stream other games absolutely perfect, such as Apex Legends, FIFA, etc.

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

I wouldnt worry too much about performance as far as fps when you're streaming. You're streaming not benchmarking the pc

That's not the point. My streams are choppy and drop frames is my point and I need it to stop. I invested a lot of money into having good PC specs and my friends with lower PC specs have no issues whatsoever running and streaming the game.

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

when you use h.264 it still affects CPU performance in games. NVENC is just as good as h.264 on the 2000 series cards and should be the default go-to for streaming if you have a Turing based card or newer. 

Oh neat! I haven't streamed since the GTX 780 was a decent card to have lol so my knowledge is a bit dated.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

4 minutes ago, WolfbyteUK said:

I'm using NVENC.

I use OBS. I doubt my internet speed or ping is the issue as I stream other games absolutely perfect, such as Apex Legends, FIFA, etc.

That's not the point. My streams are choppy and drop frames is my point and I need it to stop. I invested a lot of money into having good PC specs and my friends with lower PC specs have no issues whatsoever running and streaming the game.

Trying turning your bitrate down to like 3500kbps to test, 6000 is a little high for near 720p resolution.

And internet can play a large roll in dropped frames. I missed part of what you said so I am editing

So the dropped frames and bad performance is only on Warzone?

Edited by mr fobs

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

I ran a test in-game there with my Task Manager open and my stream live. It was using 90%-100% of my GPU and around 70% of my CPU.

3 minutes ago, WolfbyteUK said:

I'm using NVENC.

Post me screenshots of your Output and Video tabs from OBS. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, WolfbyteUK said:

I ran a test in-game there with my Task Manager open and my stream live. It was using 90%-100% of my GPU and around 70% of my CPU.

Dont run MW as Admin, only OBS. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Post me screenshots of your Output and Video tabs from OBS. 

Screen Shot 10-21-20 at 05.11 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 10-21-20 at 05.12 PM 001.PNG

Screen Shot 10-21-20 at 05.12 PM 002.PNG

Screen Shot 10-21-20 at 05.12 PM.PNG

Try with running the game normally, not in admin mode. This could be causing windows scheduler issues with prioritizing GPU allocation. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

22 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Try with running the game normally, not in admin mode. This could be causing windows scheduler issues with prioritizing GPU allocation. 

I've done that and it seems to have helped. I'm getting 100 FPS now. I'll try upping my graphics to see if it gets a little more bearable looks wise as well as performance. 

Just gonna say that dropped frames and issues in end result might also be just Twitch issue. You should test how it goes with YT if the issues are continuing.

Also, is there major reason why you scale your output to be lower resolution than your input? While still having max bitrate Twitch allows for non-partners? I don't see any benefits for that. Your viewers most likely still need beefy connection as they don't have scaling options from Twitch side of things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Just gonna say that dropped frames and issues in end result might also be just Twitch issue. You should test how it goes with YT if the issues are continuing.

Also, is there major reason why you scale your output to be lower resolution than your input? While still having max bitrate Twitch allows for non-partners? I don't see any benefits for that. Your viewers most likely still need beefy connection as they don't have scaling options from Twitch side of things.

If it was a Twitch issue would I see the dropped frames in OBS? Because I actually see it lag at times.

And I've no idea. What do you suggest? Depending on how busy the Twitch servers are, sometimes they allow the scaling. I just thought it might be less strain for viewers.

1 hour ago, WolfbyteUK said:

If it was a Twitch issue would I see the dropped frames in OBS? Because I actually see it lag at times.

And I've no idea. What do you suggest? Depending on how busy the Twitch servers are, sometimes they allow the scaling. I just thought it might be less strain for viewers.

I haven't streamed to Twitch in a while. Just YT. OBS shows dropped frames and bitrate errors if CPU or upload is having issues for sure. Haven't met YTs limits yet, so its just assumption. Though I remember from the times I did do Twitch that bitrate fluctuations and frame drops were sometimes tied to Twitch EU servers having some issues.

Bitrate is key. There's no point of lowering resolution. If scaling isn't available, it means that all viewers have to have 6mbps download to match your upload. Otherwise it buffers. This is why I tend to tell people to focus on content over quality. So either lower bitrate to 5000-55000 or just use full HD resolution since you already have highest possible bitrate for Twitch (YT allows 10k IIRC).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv