Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a CH341A which does not output 5v on data lines out of the box

I bricked my GPU like the moron I am and need to reflash the BIOS manually. Unfortunately, the current CH341A I have appears to have the 3.3v issue, where the adapter does not output the proper 3.3v to data pins, but rather 5v, which can fry the EEPROM. And in my case, the memory chip operates from 2.3v to 3.6v.

However, I've heard that there are CH341A adapters which work with 3.3v without issues. Does anybody know of one of these? I don't want to do any soldering, because 1) I've never soldered and I will definitely do something stupid with it, 2) I have none of the materials for soldering, so it would get pretty expensive for all the stuff (iron, multimeter, etc.)

I know of the Bus Pirate, but it seems a little expensive. (I spent $30 for the GPU, so I'd basically be buying another GPU if I got the Bus Pirate)

Thanks in advance!

I have the gold edge version of the common china uart converter which does true 3.3 V and 5 V which is either a 340G or CP2102.

Just stay away from anything which says FTDI as they are probably fake and FTDI messed with those multiple times in the past (at least twice: once bricking and the second time injecting a string into your signal).

Silicon Labs cp2102 or an FTDI uart adapter from digikey, sparkfun, or adafruit is the way to go.

ASU

Yeah your adapter looks very different from mine. I thought the adapter I linked has a genuine FTDI chip? (which shouldn't get bricked) I can use Linux for the flashing if it's a problem.

FTDI ICs have a gigantic supply chain issue and in the past they thought to solve it by purposely bricking/destroying devices with updates. So unless they finally fix the counterfeit problem stay away from FTDI products.

But there shouldn't be any issues if I use it with Linux, correct? Other question: does the serial pinout here match the SOIC-8 clip my CH341A came with? It looks like this:

61qnAXsAkyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

CH340G should work fine with most Linux distros as they are used on ESP32 boards, ESP8266 (e.g. NodeMCU), Arduino Uno clones and many more devices. 

For the clip I don't know. Worst case you need some DuPont/breadboard Jumer cables to fix the pinout. Alternatively some solid core wire should also work.

Can you give a full image of your setup? I want to see how the 6 pins on the adapter are changed to the 8 pins on the clip.