What hardware is fine to be bought even if it's used?

TechyWinkie

Just a general question. I'm planning for a build next year and due to the questionable budget, I might have to cheap out on some other parts, but I am not sure what exactly. I'm aware of not buying a cheap power supply, however I am curious to know what hardware to buy even if it is used. 

2 minutes ago, TechyWinkie said:

however I am curious to know what hardware to buy even if it is used

Pretty much everything is fine, even if used. For SSDs and HDDs, it's typically best to ask the seller to show the SMART-data for the drive before purchase, but other than that, I see no problem.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Pretty much everything is fine, even if used. For SSDs and HDDs, it's typically best to ask the seller to show the SMART-data for the drive before purchase, but other than that, I see no problem.

Thank you for clarifying the SSD and HDD part. I was worried of buying used hard drives because I might see something I shouldn't see. Like 400 gigs of "Homework" or 5 seasons of Sesame Street. 

Just now, TechyWinkie said:

Thank you for clarifying the SSD and HDD part. I was worried of buying used hard drives because I might see something I shouldn't see. Like 400 gigs of "Homework" or 5 seasons of Sesame Street. 

Why would it matter, if there was the previous owner's stuff there still? You can just format the drive, thereby removing all of that. Many drives I've bought have had stuff on them as well and I do not see any reason to care. SMART-data matters, but not the stuff that's on the drive.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why would it matter, if there was the previous owner's stuff there still? You can just format the drive, thereby removing all of that. Many drives I've bought have had stuff on them as well and I do not see any reason to care. SMART-data matters, but not the stuff that's on the drive.

Yeah, that would make sense. Thanks for the tip! 

39 minutes ago, TechyWinkie said:

Just a general question. I'm planning for a build next year and due to the questionable budget, I might have to cheap out on some other parts, but I am not sure what exactly. I'm aware of not buying a cheap power supply, however I am curious to know what hardware to buy even if it is used. 

basically everything is fine except for ssd and hdd with the problem that was stated above.

also just if used beware of scams like heavily used mining with gpus which can cause a much lower performance or a faulty gpu overall but it should be good really