Can I run 4K on a 1440p monitor through the use of an HDMI 2.1 cable?

Xottyk

Hello, I have a LG-27gl850 and it’s a monitor that runs at 1440p at 144hz. With the next gen consoles coming out and saying they will run games at 4K 120hz I was wondering if I could do that. The monitor has an HDMI 2.0 hookup. However I was wondering if I could get the monitor to run 4K through using an HDMI 2.1 cable and hooking it in to the HDMI 2.0 hookup? If there is anyway to do that please share with me. Thank you!!!

No. The cable is not the weakest link here. The maximum resolution of the actual panel inside the monitor is 2560 x 1440 Pixels, and you can't go higher than that.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Natively, no you can't run 4k on a 1440p monitor. What you can do is upscale the resolution to 4k and essentially emulate it on the monitor. Might look fuzzy though.

The geek himself.

Hello, I have a LG-27gl850 and it’s a monitor that runs at 1440p at 144hz. With the next gen consoles coming out and saying they will run games at 4K 120hz I was wondering if I could do that. The monitor has an HDMI 2.0 hookup. However I was wondering if I could get the monitor to run 4K through using an HDMI 2.1 cable and hooking it in to the HDMI 2.0 hookup? If there is anyway to do that please share with me. Thank you!!!

I looked it up and hdmi can support 144hz at 2560x1440p so if your monitor isn't an ultrawide it should work

1 minute ago, No_Trash said:

I looked it up and hdmi can support 144hz at 2560x1440p so if your monitor isn't an ultrawide it should work

I don't believe that's what OP is asking. I believe they're wondering if they can run 4K on a 1440P monitor by using an HDMI 2.1 cable, which isn't possible. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

8 minutes ago, Xottyk said:

The monitor has an HDMI 2.0 hookup. However I was wondering if I could get the monitor to run 4K through using an HDMI 2.1 cable and hooking it in to the HDMI 2.0 hookup? 

It won't make a difference of you try to use an HDMI 2.1 cable on a HDMI 2.0 port so you can't use it at 4k 120hz or above

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

I don't believe that's what OP is asking. I believe they're wondering if they can run 4K on a 1440P monitor by using an HDMI 2.1 cable, which isn't possible. 

In that case you can't do that

Threads merged. Please only post once.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, No_Trash said:

It won't make a difference of you try to use an HDMI 2.1 cable on a HDMI 2.0 port so you can't use it at 4k 120hz or above

Ok thank you for your answer. I guess my follow up would be am I missing out on the benefits of 4K compared to 1440p or is 1440p an ideal resolution for gaming?

Ok thank you for your answer. I guess my follow up would be am I missing out on the benefits of 4K compared to 1440p or is 1440p an ideal resolution for gaming?

1 hour ago, bellabichon said:

Ok thank you for your answer. I guess my follow up would be am I missing out on the benefits of 4K compared to 1440p or is 1440p an ideal resolution for gaming?

2 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Natively, no you can't run 4k on a 1440p monitor. What you can do is upscale the resolution to 4k and essentially emulate it on the monitor. Might look fuzzy though.

How would I do that? Even if I might look fuzzy I could give it a shot?

How could I upscale it to 4K? Even if it would like fuzzy I would like to give it a try thank you!!!

How could I upscale this to 4K? Even if it would look fuzzy I could give it a shot!! Thank you for your reply!!!

52 minutes ago, Xottyk said:

Ok thank you for your answer. I guess my follow up would be am I missing out on the benefits of 4K compared to 1440p or is 1440p an ideal resolution for gaming?

If you have a 27" as I think you do, 1440p is more than enough, I have a 34" 1440p and I don't have any problems with that's.

For me it's way better 1440p 144hz than 4k 60hz.

52 minutes ago, Xottyk said:

How could I upscale this to 4K? Even if it would look fuzzy I could give it a shot!! Thank you for your reply!!!

It will not be that helpfull

9 hours ago, Xottyk said:

It doesnt matter what resulotion you output to the monitor, if its 1440p then it always needs to use all of those pixels. But if you send it different resolutions then it has to sclae then and it looks worse then what it would have looked on a display with that resulotion. In other words, if your using a 1440p monitor then 1440p will look the best on that monitor