RTX 3000 vs. RTX 2000 vs. GTX 1000

RandomTextbook

So I was looking up PCPartPIcker to build a node 202 sff build. I settled for a 10400 because of the shortage of 3600s in my area. But I'm struggling to pick a gpu for my build. I intend to do video editing at 1080p and play shadow of the tomb raider and total war three kingdoms at 1080p ultra settings. What should I do?? I originally considered a gtx 1080ti and rtx 2060 but I became unsure of myself and I am wondering if I should wait for the RTX 3060/ti

The 1080ti is better than the rtx 2060. If you can wait, then sure wait, but if you want the build now go ahead and make it. It depends on how much you need/want the PC.

Well if it gives you any help I am running a overclocked 2060 Super and I mostly stay at around 70-75 FPS. That is in 1080p with everything maxed I think. A 1080ti or 3060 will do more than that and a 1070 ti will do a little less (with ray tracing off even). 

1. CPU questions -> do you plan to upgrade ? do you plan to overclock it ? do you plan to water cool it ? 

2. if any answers is YES to any of the questions at point 1 it may be you want to have a AIO added to the case so you will need to have a "short GPU" (mini).. I recommend RTX 2070 .. good enough right now .. wil be good enough for the next 2-3 years from now .. when probably you should upgrade the 1080p monitor :D

I intend to upgrade every 6 months on a budget of 400 dollars with each upgrade. This build will updated quite frequently

I am interested in undervolting the cpu and gpu because node 202 airflow is pretty bad anyways

1 hour ago, RandomTextbook said:

I intend to upgrade every 6 months on a budget of 400 dollars with each upgrade. This build will updated quite frequently

Then I'd suggest NOT going for Intel at all. The Intel CPUs and motherboards are all dead-ends right now. Even if you have to get a Ryzen 2000 chip to hold you over until the 5000 series is available, it's still going to give you better results for a lower cost.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

personally i would pick up a used card if you need something now..

if you are not pushing 4K resolutions or 1440p at 120+ hz, then i would simply go for something in the 1xxx generation of Geforce, or a cheap used 5700 non xt (then XT mod it)..

the 1080ti is a great card, still one of the fastest, but they do get expensive, 1070 is not that fast, but you can pick them up for cheap and i would do so, as an intermediary card, until 3070 gets to a place where you could exchange for cheap.

i get it about dead ends on CPU scale.. intel currently i still the fastes single core performer until Zen3 release.

i have NEVER upgraded a cpu and kept a motherboard, so to be honest, if the intel is where it is right now then buy an intel. but yes the boards most likely will die when a new generation of Intel Cpu´s are released. 

the real difference between AMD and intel today is corecount.. until Zen3

2 hours ago, RandomTextbook said:

So I was looking up PCPartPIcker to build a node 202 sff build. I settled for a 10400 because of the shortage of 3600s in my area. But I'm struggling to pick a gpu for my build. I intend to do video editing at 1080p and play shadow of the tomb raider and total war three kingdoms at 1080p ultra settings. What should I do?? I originally considered a gtx 1080ti and rtx 2060 but I became unsure of myself and I am wondering if I should wait for the RTX 3060/ti

depends on pricing. We don't know what the 3060 will be but if it has 6GB of VRAM that would kill it for me. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?