Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introducing my (re)build: Prison Stripes

This build is a rebuild of my HTPC into a compact desktop PC to be used for work/play when I can replace the HTPC with a console.

Link to PCPartPicker.

The Name

I chose the name on the basis that I wanted as much black/white contrast in the build as possible. The build is also the result of a tech geek being confined to his apartment for most of 2020 so it felt appropriate.

Limitations

When parting together this build, I was restricted to and focused on the following:

- Using second-hand and refurbished parts as much as possible

- Carrying over as many parts as possible

- Having no colour on parts unless it is through addressable RGB

- The case must be white, small, sleek, and have a tempered glass side panel

The (New) Parts

It didn't take long to figure out that the NZXT H210 fit my requirements perfectly. It had space for a 3.5" HDD and a full sized ATX PSU, which meant I could carry these parts over. However, because it is hard to find used or refurbished, I had to purchase it new. I also swapped out the motherboard with a used X570i Auros Pro Wifi motherboard which worked perfectly for me since I need a motherboard with two m.2 slots and wanted the option to upgrade to Zen 3. Finally, I also swapped out the CPU cooler primarily because I got a great deal on a used ROG Ryuo 240 and couldn't resist.

Challenges

First of all, cable management was a royal pain in the back. the cable extensions plus Thermaltake's unreasonably long cables for their fans meant cable management was a nightmare. Second, I was concerned that the 2070 Super would suffocate but I tested the system and the performance and temps were nearly the same as before. Of course, temperatures were higher but they weren't so high to be concerning (never over 80 degrees Celsius). Finally, I have to point out (and I knew this beforehand) that it sucks that X570 boards don't have internal connectors for USB Type-C which the case has a port for. 

Outcome

The result of planning this build ahead of time meant I thoroughly enjoyed the process of putting this together. Nothing was unexpected or difficult except for the fact that I mounted the radiator wrong twice (once on the wrong side of the bracket and once upside down... oops). Altogether, I am really happy with how the system looks and I am a big fan of the fact that this system uses every inch of the case. 

Let me know what you think.

Pictures

[1] System OFF 

DSC00410.thumb.JPG.e7d343243d57c5821e383c54a00e6975.JPG

[2] A healthy splash of green

DSC00412.thumb.JPG.6183ce6016ec3236a143123ffbfcc860.JPG

Check out 

PRISON STRIPES!

R5 2600x - 2070S - X570 - H210

I should still be writing papers...

45 minutes ago, DutchGuyTom said:

A healthy splash of green

AND it makes for a stylish upgrade to any founder's edition GPU from green team

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I approve. Looks like it's ready to shank some fool in the showers. 👍

?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907

Glad you went AMD - with Intel Unlocked the inmates would get out :)

Intel i9 9900kf - Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro - Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - ASUS Dual Fan GeForce RTX2080 Super EVO 8GB GDDR6 - Corsair 275R Airflow - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe / Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA - Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold 750W - MSI Optix G241 24" IPS 144Hz - Noctua NH-D15 (cpu) 3 x NF-S12A PWM (intake) 1x NF-A12x25 PWM (exhaust) - MS Wired 600 Desktop - Win 10 Pro