Fresh build (all but desk basically)

GhengasKhan

Budget (including currency): 2000$ US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: all sorts of games etc. (not 100% sure specifics but needs to run everything)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  long story short; I’m building a pc for a a family friends son, he has the desk and that’s about it

He wants lots of RGB inside case, dual monitor setup with full peripherals I want the primary monitor to be 144hz (min) and I need to have it built by Christmas (looking to start ordering parts around cyber Monday ish) 

rough idea:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LwhyXbIm not opposed to changing anything out so suggestions are welcome. And I’m not 100% sure about peripherals just added them as a price marker (not necessarily keeping the asus 3070 just put one there for the build) I do need to cut a little bit of cost down. 

wow, does he want a ok pc with all rgb or a good pc with some? (Could be the diffrence between 3070 and a used 2080s)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Rgb costs a good deal of money but doesn’t help actual functionality at all.  It’s a bit like an izod alligator on your underwear in the early 80’s.  Does nothing but itch and doubles the price. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

42 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wow, does he want a ok pc with all rgb or a good pc with some? (Could be the diffrence between 3070 and a used 2080s)

I’m trying to find a happy medium. I’m trying to not buy used so I was looking more towards a 3070. Figure if it comes down to it I’ll just order like an extra rgb strip and slap it in so that it looks more rgb then it is. 

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Rgb costs a good deal of money but doesn’t help actual functionality at all.  It’s a bit like an izod alligator on your underwear in the early 80’s.  Does nothing but itch and doubles the price. 

I 100% agree lol but his son loves RGB so he’s wanting to have it integrated into the build some. 

1 minute ago, GhengasKhan said:

I’m trying to find a happy medium. I’m trying to not buy used so I was looking more towards a 3070. Figure if it comes down to it I’ll just order like an extra rgb strip and slap it in so that it looks more rgb then it is. 

I 100% agree lol but his son loves RGB so he’s wanting to have it integrated into the build some. 

Alligators are doable.  Mostly just means fans cost $40 instead of $10

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

57 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Alligators are doable.  Mostly just means fans cost $40 instead of $10

I thought about going with like an nzxt h510i which comes with 2 led fans, changing out the front panel fans with something like a Corsair rgb liquid cooler that has the rgb fans on it already and putting those 2 led ones on top and back fan slots  figured it would save me having to get 2 extra rgb fans. Plus solve the cooling etc.