Need Help Deciding what to Upgrade on my PC

Hi everyone. I need help deciding what to spend my $800 on to upgrade my 4-year-old pc. I have an $800 budget. Goal: Play at 1440p  and 60 fps without my pc getting over 80c. I normally reduce my graphics to reduce heat but it getting harder with more modern games. Here are my specs: 

Motherboard: Z170X-GAMING 3

GPU: 980TI 6G GDDR5 (ZOTAC)

CPU: I7-6700k 4GHz 8MB

RAM: ADATA 4gb DDR4-2800 XPG Z1 (QTY : 4)

PSU: APEVIA 900WATT (Probably the worst part of my pc)

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H90 140MM Liquid Cooling

Case: Corsair Carbine Clear 600c Inverse ATX Full Tower

I'm already planning to upgrade my PSU since that one is sketchy.  I was going for a 3070 but idk if my money would do better invested in other components. Maybe upgrade my motherboard and CPU  and try to get a 2080-Ti if they every drop below the 3070?

PSU and a 2080 super or 2080ti would be my first thoughts

H110i would definitely help the temps along with a couple BeQuiet or Noctua Redux fans for the front of the case to force a bit of fresh air in. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

41 minutes ago, ViolentDarkShot said:

Hi everyone. I need help deciding what to spend my $800 on to upgrade my 4-year-old pc. I have an $800 budget. Goal: Play at 1440p  and 60 fps without my pc getting over 80c. I normally reduce my graphics to reduce heat but it getting harder with more modern games. Here are my specs: 

Motherboard: Z170X-GAMING 3

GPU: 980TI 6G GDDR5 (ZOTAC)

CPU: I7-6700k 4GHz 8MB

RAM: ADATA 4gb DDR4-2800 XPG Z1 (QTY : 4)

PSU: APEVIA 900WATT (Probably the worst part of my pc)

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H90 140MM Liquid Cooling

Case: Corsair Carbine Clear 600c Inverse ATX Full Tower

I'm already planning to upgrade my PSU since that one is sketchy.  I was going for a 3070 but idk if my money would do better invested in other components. Maybe upgrade my motherboard and CPU  and try to get a 2080-Ti if they every drop below the 3070?

3060 would be fine, 3070 is better... you will certainly have some bottlenecking with that CPU, if you can OC it to 4.6 ish that would help a lot.

1440p @ 60 FPS you should be fine with a 3060 once they are out and a CPU OC. Then wait a while and upgrade to either zen 3 in a few months or zen 3+ when it’ll eventually be out (late next year maybe?)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

7 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

3060 would be fine, 3070 is better... you will certainly have some bottlenecking with that CPU, if you can OC it to 4.6 ish that would help a lot.

1440p @ 60 FPS you should be fine with a 3060 once they are out and a CPU OC. Then wait a while and upgrade to either zen 3 in a few months or zen 3+ when it’ll eventually be out (late next year maybe?)

You think my Corsair Hydro Series H90 140MM Liquid Cooling would handle a CPU OC. To be honest, I have no idea if i have to change it just b/c of It's age alone. Temps are fine but I've read that closed Loop Coolers tend to go bad after a few years of use. The fan of the cooler already makes noise when its spinning but It might of been caused by dust after i cleaned it with an air compressor.

1 minute ago, ViolentDarkShot said:

You think my Corsair Hydro Series H90 140MM Liquid Cooling would handle a CPU OC. To be honest, I have no idea if i have to change it just b/c of It's age alone. Temps are fine but I've read that closed Loop Coolers tend to go bad after a few years of use. The fan of the cooler already makes noise when its spinning but It might of been caused by dust after i cleaned it with an air compressor.

If its working... its working. Depending on how its plumbed up, a little air in the loop has no negative affect on cooling or performance of the pump. If you post a pic we can help you with that if your worried.

It should be enough for a 6700k, it may run a little hot under a synthetic stress test, but gaming load should be fine. This of course is dependent on your CPU quality; if your unlucky your unlucky and there isn't much we can do about that. But most 6700k's can do 4.5, decent ones can do 4.6 without much trouble. My second PC is actually a 6700k @ 4.6, its on a hyper 212 evo and sits in the low to mid 60's in game load, mid 80's in something like asus real bench. Off hand I want to say the voltage is like 1.35 ish? Its been so long though I could be very wrong, I have not looked at that BIOS in years at this point.

Asus real bench can be found here, its probs the best stress test you can use imo: https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If its working... its working. Depending on how its plumbed up, a little air in the loop has no negative affect on cooling or performance of the pump. If you post a pic we can help you with that if your worried.

It should be enough for a 6700k, it may run a little hot under a synthetic stress test, but gaming load should be fine. This of course is dependent on your CPU quality; if your unlucky your unlucky and there isn't much we can do about that. But most 6700k's can do 4.5, decent ones can do 4.6 without much trouble. My second PC is actually a 6700k @ 4.6, its on a hyper 212 evo and sits in the low to mid 60's in game load, mid 80's in something like asus real bench. Off hand I want to say the voltage is like 1.35 ish? Its been so long though I could be very wrong, I have not looked at that BIOS in years at this point.

Asus real bench can be found here, its probs the best stress test you can use imo: https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

Alrighty. Thanks for the advice. I'm a noob when it gets to the physical part of the pc.

1 minute ago, ViolentDarkShot said:

Alrighty. Thanks for the advice. I'm a noob when it gets to the physical part of the pc.

Basically, if the tubes of the radiator are on the bottom, and the radiator itself is above the level of the water block, your basically fine. So if the radiator is mounted in the top of the case your 100% fine, if its mounted in the front or the back, you just want the tubes coming out of the bottom, and preferably the top of the radiator is above the pump (air bubbles make their way to the highest point in the loop, you want the pump to be NOT the highest point) :).

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv