My dad doesn't want me to sell my pc but he wants me to have a laptop and tells me to get one

DylanMC

So, in my birthday I got a gaming PC from my dad and I had the choice between that and a gaming laptop obviously I chose the gaming pc because it has better cooling and has better performance since laptop cpus and gpu consumes less power than desktop ones which makes them perform worse and the temps are not that great on it 

It's been 3 months since I own it but the problem is I realized I go visit my family and study a lot I'm very limited by that desktop pc so I realized that I was an idiot an so I wanted to switch to a laptop because by now (today) I know how to reduce temps while not losing performance and I told my dad pls can I have a laptop instead of this he said yes happily and I was very excited I have about 2000$ to spend on a laptop if I sell my pc and today I told him so do I sell it now he said no you just got it so I was sad confused and angry at the same time I know him very well and even if I don't sell it he will help me out since I don't work but can anyone explain to me why he said no but told me for my birthday I will sell it it just doesn't feel right what's the difference I wanted to sell now also cuz I have a very important test this year and didn't want to get distracted by the pc but he said no I didn't want to say the reason cuz he would say stop lying as well as I know him anyway just wanted to point that out if anyone could help me that would be helpful although I can wait until June cuz if I pass this test my dad promised me a laptop and I don't want to keep that desktop pc cuz I go out a lot so anyway bye

Keep the desktop. If he says that you can only sell your PC at your birthday then he may plan to get the laptop for you.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

16 minutes ago, DylanMC_YT said:

It's been 3 months since I own it but the problem is I realized I go visit my family and study a lot I'm very limited by that desktop pc so I realized that I was an idiot an so I wanted to switch to a laptop because by now (today) I know how to reduce temps while not losing performance and I told my dad pls can I have a laptop instead of this he said yes happily and I was very excited I have about 2000$ to spend on a laptop if I sell my pc and today I told him so do I sell it now he said no you just got it so I was sad confused and angry at the same time I know him very well and even if I don't sell it he will help me out since I don't work but can anyone explain to me why he said no but told me for my birthday I will sell it it just doesn't feel right what's the difference I wanted to sell now also cuz I have a very important test this year and didn't want to get distracted by the pc but he said no I didn't want to say the reason cuz he would say stop lying as well as I know him anyway just wanted to point that out if anyone could help me that would be helpful although I can wait until June cuz if I pass this test my dad promised me a laptop and I don't want to keep that desktop pc cuz I go out a lot so anyway bye

USE. FREAKING. PUNCTUATION.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Please get familiar with the period. It helps break up sentences and makes things MUCH easier to read. It's located on a standard QWERTY keyboard above and to the right of the space bar, between the comma and forward slash keys.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Please get familiar with the period. It helps break up sentences and makes things MUCH easier to read. It's located on a standard QWERTY keyboard above and to the right of the space bar, between the comma and forward slash keys.

It was typed on a phone hastefully, you can tell because the first letter and all "I"s are capitalized.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Spoiler

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

USE. FREAKING. PUNCTUATION.

Having a hard time following myself with the run on sentences...

22 minutes ago, DylanMC_YT said:

to sell now also cuz I have a very important test this year

A test does not require a gaming laptop to be completed on. 

22 minutes ago, DylanMC_YT said:

I don't want to keep that desktop pc cuz I go out a lot so anyway bye

Sooo...how do you want me to respond? 

Well, you just got to learn to live with the choices you make in life. I sold my first car a couple years ago and I regret making that decision...but I don't go and ask my parents to go and buy it back again..

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well, you just got to learn to live with the choices you make in life.

like how you bought a 9800X?

:) 

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Spoiler

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Tika said:

like how you bought a 9800X?

:)

It was worth it, and I actually wanted to build a HEDT system at the time and needed an upgrade. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

what can i say i have got 2 gaming laptops and a couple of gaming pc's (plus other irrelevent stuff) and frankly i never use the laptops for anything other than browsing the web, development, office etc and use the pc's for the gaming, keep the PC you will be able to use it a lot longer than the laptop, will be able to upgrade it, and even 10 years from now still be able to play games on it, the laptop will be 5 years tops and even brand new it wont be as good as the PC for gaming, so long story short keep the pc and get a cheap laptop

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Anyway you know how you can avoid being 'distracted' by games so you can focus on school subjects and X test? install a Linux distro, you'll be able to do the test and everything related to school but won't be able to play any game

He'll start mesing around with.... well... I dont want to give any hints as to what...... i guess...... alcahol...... if he uses a linux distro.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Keep desktop.

Buy a laptop additionally. You can get decent laptops for like $600~. Better ones cost more.

Keep the desktop. Don't sell it.

Get a laptop as a secondary PC.

7 minutes ago, fpo said:

Keep desktop.

Buy a laptop additionally. You can get decent laptops for like $600~. Better ones cost more.

Keep the desktop. Don't sell it.

Get a laptop as a secondary PC.

Yeah as long as you have a powerful desktop PC, you don't really need an expensive laptop, especially a gaming laptop that costs as much as the desktop PC. 

Gaming laptop have their own slew of problems as well especially if you plan to bringing it along with you a lot

It weights like a brick and it isn't good for college, trust me I've been there

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I don't see any benefits from selling your desktop and buying a gaming laptop. They're heavy, loud and just a pain to travel with.

To be honest, I don't see why you'd want to sell the desktop for any laptop.

There really isn't any point in doing this, just keep your desktop.

Like literally everyone else said, dont sell, and get a cheeper laptop. 

If you are on a very low budget for something w/o selling the pc, you could get a chromebook and run something like crouton to run linux on it, if you need to run desktop apps. (make sure to do a intel chromebook if you want to do this)

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Put a pause on your gaming. Learn proper writing and punctuation. That will get you a lot further in a career than "gaming".

11 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yeah as long as you have a powerful desktop PC, you don't really need an expensive laptop, especially a gaming laptop that costs as much as the desktop PC. 

Well I go visit my grandparents a lot and it's 4 hours away for our house, (doesn't make any sense) but I don't like or use the desktop that much, all my sisters mom and dad have laptops and can take them everywhere, I just want one that can play Minecraft decently cuz I'm not home 80% of the time

9 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Put a pause on your gaming. Learn proper writing and punctuation. That will get you a lot further in a career than "gaming".

OH MY GOD! He has a gaming computer, so he automatically wants to have a career of in gaming! That makes so much sense now!

OP, YOU SHOULD STOP THAT TERRIBLE CAREER PATH RIGHT NOW AND GO TO SCHOOL!

/s

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

@HelpfulTechWizard
Judging by your comment, do you even have the slightest clue what you are talking about? I didn't think so!

I would keep the Desktop PC, youre not going to regret it. Stick to @fpo and try to get a laptop on top of your desktop. Christmas ist coming and im predicting that the desktop will be of much use in the future. With a typical gaming laptop (heavy, chunky, less space for battery) you will be upset when studying.

Pick a slim mediocre Laptop, capable of light games like minecraft and easy to handle for mobile operations and periodes without a power source.

Get a cheap laptop to study on, study when out, game when home at PC.

Helps manage your gaming time and focus study time so you are not tempted to game when you should study.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

25 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

@HelpfulTechWizard
Judging by your comment, do you even have the slightest clue what you are talking about? I didn't think so!

Make sure you choose my name from the list.

look here:

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

/s

means sarcasm. you were being ridiclous, so I was being sarcastic.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Caroline said:

I was about to write this. I know he's a teen but come on, is education so bad in X country?

The and I told himand then he said, but then I asked kind of stuff gives me a serious headache.

OP, the first 2 lines were perfectly fine, you've got a PC for your birthday and you want to sell it to get a laptop, but your father doesn't wants you to do so, that's it.

Anyway you know how you can avoid being 'distracted' by games so you can focus on school subjects and X test? install a Linux distro, you'll be able to do the test and everything related to school but won't be able to play any game

every damn time i read a topic in this forum "just get linux" should i do chemo or radio? just install linux should we colonize the moon or mars? arch linux bro WE FUCKING GET IT YOU USE LINUX

3 minutes ago, Passwordwith16characters said:

every damn time i read a topic in this forum "just get linux" should i do chemo or radio? just install linux should we colonize the moon or mars? arch linux bro WE FUCKING GET IT YOU USE LINUX

you joined to shitpost. really? REALLY!?!?! 

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler