Parents Air BnB Router recommendations?

Krisp-kiwi

Hey everyone. I'm wondering what you would recommend for a network set up these days. I visited my parents house over the weekend which is a 2 story house and they've set up the downstairs bedroom for Air bnb people to stay in. I immediately noticed that they were handing out the WiFi password to their main network rather than having a guest one which raised security concerns for me. Doesn't look like their current router can do guest networks or Vlans so I've been looking into options to replace their router. I was thinking Unifi like I have set up at home but they're not the most tech savvy type so they'd need me to troubleshoot any issues and I'm not sure if it's entirely required since they don't have many active connections. That along with WiFi 6 coming more mainstream and i was thinking perhaps the TP Archer Ax 10 but I'm not experienced with archer routers to know how good they are.

Anyway, what would you recommend here?

@Krisp-kiwi

Do they have another wireless router or AP for them upstairs?

For airBnB, I’d keep it simple. Install a wireless access point in the airBnB unit and wire it to the primary router. You can put this AP on a different IP subnet so that connecting clients will be isolated from the primary network.

An inexpensive airCube-AC can work for this purpose (you can convert it from router to bridge mode). Just make sure to also turn down the antenna power output so it just covers the airBnB unit and channels don’t overlap with other nearby wireless networks.

4 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Krisp-kiwi

Do they have another wireless router or AP for them upstairs?

For airBnB, I’d keep it simple. Install a wireless access point in the airBnB unit and wire it to the primary router. You can put this AP on a different IP subnet so that connecting clients will be isolated from the primary network.

An inexpensive airCube-AC can work for this purpose (you can convert it from router to bridge mode). Just make sure to also turn down the antenna power output so it just covers the airBnB unit and channels don’t overlap with other nearby wireless networks.

Currently upstairs they have a Vodafone Ultra hub which is more of a plug and play type of router, There's basically no customization in it at all aside from being able to select your own SSID and wifi password so I'd need a different router as well as an AP sadly.

Perhaps the amplifi range may be better. Much easier for them to be able to control it via the app. 

17 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Perhaps the amplifi range may be better. Much easier for them to be able to control it via the app. 

That’s your choice. The Amplifi line will cost more.

The $70 airCube-AC is a powerful WiFi 5 router and has support for UNMS (mobile and remote management).

10 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

That’s your choice. The Amplifi line will cost more.

The $70 airCube-AC is a powerful WiFi 5 router and has support for UNMS (mobile and remote management).

Taking a look at it on the link below, it doesn't mention it being a router, only an access point, am I missing something?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETUBI50311/Ubiquiti-airCube-ACB-AC-airMAX-Home-Wi-Fi-Access-P

6 minutes ago, Krisp-kiwi said:

Taking a look at it on the link below, it doesn't mention it being a router, only an access point, am I missing something?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETUBI50311/Ubiquiti-airCube-ACB-AC-airMAX-Home-Wi-Fi-Access-P

I own 2 and know for a fact that it can be used in router or bridged (AP) mode.