Imagination, makers of the ole PowerVR to come back to the desktop GPU market

Energycore

Let me know if there's already a thread about this. The announcement is 7 days old but I didn't find any.

The company Imagination, known producer of mobile and datacenter ASICs, has just announced their return to the dGPU scene with their BXT Multi-chiplet GPU architecture.

Right now they're targeting productivity applications, although gaming is not out of the question.

Imagination Technologies announces a new licensing deal with Innosilicon, a worldwide one-stop provider of high-speed mixed signal IP and custom ASIC solutions. Using its highly innovative SoC and chiplet architectures, Innosilicon have integrated the newly launched IMG B-Series BXT multi-core GPU IP in PCI-E form-factor GPU SoCs for desktop and data centre applications.

The company is using a chiplet design with one SoC and multiple GPU "cores" (chips), which could provide scalability into very big GPUs overall. They're also claiming a low-power, high-efficiency design, though comparative numbers are not provided.

Chris Porthouse, Chief Product Officer, Imagination Technologies, says; “We’ve taken our sweet spot high-performance, power-optimised cores and incorporated an innovative decentralised approach to multi-core to deliver high-efficiency scaling and compatibility with industry trends such as chiplet architectures. This allows us to offer a range of performance levels and configurations not previously possible in GPU IP.”

Roger Mao, Vice President of Engineering, Innosilicon, says; “Imagination’s BXT multi-core GPU IP delivers the level of performance and power efficiency we had been looking for. Innosilicon has a solid track record in delivering first class high-speed and high-bandwidth computing solutions in advanced FinFET process nodes. Building on this success and strong customer demand, we are announcing our upcoming product which is a standalone high-performance 4K/8K PCI-E Gen4 GPU card, set to hit the market very soon, that will power 5G cloud gaming and data centre applications.

B-Series enables Imagination customers to reduce power while reaching higher levels of performance than any other GPU IP on the market. It delivers up to 6 TFLOPS of compute, with an up to 30% reduction in power and 25% area reduction over previous generations and up to 2.5x higher fill rate than competing IP cores.

Here's a picture from the Twitter announcement.

Innosilicon-Fantasy-GPU.jpg

I find it interesting that they claim "4K/8K Gaming capable" and "higher levels of performance than any other GPU IP in the Market", considering they're also quoting 6TFLOPs, a number that's very low in terms of current GPU ASICs (similar cards in terms of raw compute are the RX 570/580 and the GTX 1650).

I realize FLOPs aren't everything and you can't compare them from one architecture to another, but I'm skeptical of their claims considering the number is a fifth of the 3080's "FLOPs" number (which can be debated because half their Float cores are also Int cores) and a fourth of the upcoming AMD 6900 XT's ~24FLOPs claimed.

That said I'll be very happy if the GPUs are competitive because it means higher availability (looking at you Ampere) and lower prices overall.

Sources

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-release/innosilicon-selects-imaginations-new-bxt-multi-core-gpu-ip-for-cloud-computing/

https://videocardz.com/press-release/imagination-launches-img-b-series-multi-core-gpu-ip

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Let me know if there's already a thread about this. The announcement is 7 days old but I didn't find any.

I was about to post this.

With this announcement, there may be 4 players in the future of the dGPU market.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

ImagineThat

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

what's a bummer is that some people will see chinese on the card and think "bootleg" instead of "new competitor in the space"

what's more of a bummer is people will clamor for a cheap "bootleg" chinese card for an alternative for their budget gaming PC

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

because it means higher availability (looking at you Ampere) and lower prices overall.

I doubt that and think that they won't survive for long.
Keep in mind that Intel is joining the game aswell.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

I doubt that and think that they won't survive for long.

I get why you say they won't survive long.

But why won't another player in the dGPU space not lead to higher availability overall, assuming they have competitive products?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

We gotta give everybody a chance. Maybe this will end up being like some chinese car manufactures. At first their cars will suck but because they're so cheap people will buy them. But eventual if they survive they become both good and cheap and anyway worst case scenario if its an epic flop well have many ltt video covering them which is never a bad thing.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

This is great news in otherwise shit 2020. And the news came literally out of nowhere. Can't wait to see some numbers and features they offer. Back in the day I was hoping for XGI to evolve into something and it just died over time. Which was a shame. But now Intel and Imagination, that's really exciting.

Just now, RejZoR said:

This is great news in otherwise shit 2020. And the news came literally out of nowhere.

I have a feeling perhaps they had some later announcement date planned, but saw an opportunity with the null availability of 3000 series cards and jumped on it.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

omg PowerVR now there's a brand I haven't heard of in a dogs age. I remember that being my first 3d add-in card. My dad wouldn't spring for the 200+ dollars on a 3DFX Voodoo 2 like all my friends had, so I got the 99 dollar PowerVR add-in. I was pumped at how my Quake 2 looked after installing it. I was bumed to find out that my friends and their Voodoo 2s looked better and ran at a locked 60fps. Where I was stuck at 45FPS if I was lucky. Not to mention the limited support. But hey, still some fond memories there.

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I get why you say they won't survive long.

But why won't another player in the dGPU space not lead to higher availability overall, assuming they have competitive products?

That. 😛 

9 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

ImagineThat

Imageoned that 

(old ATi reference for those that don't get it... ATi T_T)

Very interesting soon we may have 4 players in the GPU space. I'm not sure how good this will be for AMD though because the middle of the road performance market or cheap prices will most likely be where these new brands land. Nvidia will still be riding the fastest GPU wave up top.

Just now, Senzelian said:

That. 😛 

I mean, since this is already a big established company, they could pull a Hyundai where they come to the West with really cheap GPUs that sort of perform well (imagine $80 RX 570 type cards), make a bunch of money off entry level gamers, then use the money for R&D and slowly start to make better GPUs.

I can almost guarantee their first offering will not compete in the high-end level for gaming. These cards are not even being advertised as gaming cards right now (though the Twitter pic does show a gaming-style cooler on a card. Maybe that's a placeholder though).

1 minute ago, Shorty88jr said:

I'm not sure how good this will be for AMD though because the middle of the road performance market or cheap prices will most likely be where these new brands land.

That's what AMD gets for neglecting RTG these past couple years tbh.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Imagination? That's what you get for smoking too much!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Up next, Nvidia to make x86 desktop cpus and some random new company starts x86 production.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I can almost guarantee their first offering will not compete in the high-end level for gaming

This is why I mentioned Intel.

Even if they gain a place in the market for lower-end GPUs, I'd expect Intel to jump at that instantly. Let alone AMD and Nvidia.

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Up next, Nvidia to make x86 desktop cpus and some random new company starts x86 production.

Razer is proud to announce the new Black Shark RGB x86 CPU for GAMERS - made by Gamers, obviously. 

Intel making a dGPU, now PowerVR coming back to the dGPU market? Interesting, the dGPU space needs more competition, but I doubt this would match anything from Intel or AMD.

44 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

With Nvidia buying ARM, they will have desktop CPUs, just not x86.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

So the Kyro II will finally have a successor?

Note that while on paper being inferior to Nvidia's offerings of the time, and costing a lot less, the Kyro II kept up extremely well due to taking the smart approach, instead of using brute force (its why PowerVR has done so well, and was chosen by Apple)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

So the Kyro II will finally have a successor?

Note that while on paper being inferior to Nvidia's offerings of the time, and costing a lot less, the Kyro II kept up extremely well due to taking the smart approach, instead of using brute force (its why PowerVR has done so well, and was chosen by Apple)

Kyro was the first graphic card to use tiling on desktop. Tech "reinvented" again by NVIDIA on GeForce GTX 900 series some decade and more later...

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Kyro was the first graphic card to use tiling on desktop. Tech "reinvented" again by NVIDIA on GeForce GTX 900 series some decade and more later...

Plus the Kyro handled overdraw extremely well (can't say the same about my GTX 970 or 1070 - game devs have to actually put work into it).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So, at least initially, these will be cards for high end production studios, correct?

I remember when Matrox said they were getting into gaming GPUs, they even released their own API (as was the way back then). It did not end well for them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, Energycore said:

I find it interesting that they claim "4K/8K Gaming capable" and "higher levels of performance than any other GPU IP in the Market"

Nowhere in the quotes do they speak of gaming. 4K/8K 3D rendering is not the same as gaming.

I also can’t find “higher levels of performance....” only high performance. So is that you making those claims or did you forget to quote something?

I have no signature

11 hours ago, Energycore said:

5G cloud gaming

How about some blockchain, decentralised, premium, AI powered negative latency on that too?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016