Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero USB headers

RixzZ
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

That's some bs... 

The board can do 2x USB 3, 1x USB Type-C, 4x USB 2 for the front panel. 

The case only has one USB 3 type A and one USB Type C, you're perfectly fine with that. 

Hello.

I'm choosing parts for a new PC and was planning to use this motherboard and the Corsair 4000D Airflow case.

In PCPartPicker if you select this two components, a warning appears saying the following:

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.

I'm finding little information about this case, but seems like it needs two USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers for the front panel (it has one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C and one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A). Now the Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard is listed on the ASUS site with the following under the USB section:

• 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)

If you continue reading the specifications, there is also a section of Internal Ports with:

• 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10Gbps) connector
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 (up to 5Gbps) connector support additional 2 USB ports (Is this suppose to be the same port named on the USB section?)

I'm don't know about the compatibility between different USB Gens (can I connect the remaining USB 3.2 Gen 1 connection from the front panel to the 3.2 Gen 2 connector?) or if this other listed internal ports can be used as headers for the front panel.

Anyone with this MB and case combination that can clarify it?

Thanks!

That's some bs... 

The board can do 2x USB 3, 1x USB Type-C, 4x USB 2 for the front panel. 

The case only has one USB 3 type A and one USB Type C, you're perfectly fine with that. 

Ya, you'll be fine.. Unlike my case, that has 4 USB 3.1 gen 2 ports + Type C, I need two USB 3 headers.. Honestly, the Hero really is lacking in this regard and it's quite stupid that they don't have it when the competing motherboard at that price range do.. But you don't need them so you're good! 

• 1 month later...

Somewhat related, but I'm wondering if anyone has a clue what the header is near CHA_Fan1, just below and left of CPU?  It appears to be a USB 2 header, but is not labelled on the board, nor called out in the manual.  Wondering if this could be an additional option that's not documented properly...

I already have the MB but I didn't have the chance to build it (thanks to AMD 5000 stock), so no idea... Anyway, I checked the case and the two cables coming from the front panel have a place on the board, so seems like it'll work.