Where are the 6k and 8k monitors?

Hatteras

I know there is the 8k Dell monitor from 3 (!!!) years ago and the apple (not usable by mortals) 6k display and a couple of 5k displays on the market but I thought by now more variety of 4k+ resolutions/displays would exist. I know that for gaming even 4k is still a bit too much but for work I'd think there are plenty of people that would like to switch to something packed with more pixels. I bought a couple of 4k/27'' LG monitors a few years ago and I have to say, switching to anything less (e.g. 1440p) feels like a huge downgrade. For reading text/code they are really great. I still think there is room for improvement and the extra sharpness from a 6k or 8k in 27-32 inch format would be nice. I've searched several times and I can't find any information on higher resolution upcoming displays. I thought that by now there would be a lot of choices, 3 years after Dell's 8k display and now with video cards on the market that can run such a display off of 1 cable. What's the deal with that? Is there really no market for these? Is anyone else looking for an upgrade from 4k? Are they just around the corner?

Share your thoughts.

EDIT: I've read somewhere apple's xdr display is using an LG panel and maybe at some point there would be a normal monitor with the same panel/resolution?

For gamers, the focus shifted to higher refresh rates

Otherwise... get a TV instead?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On 10/20/2020 at 1:33 PM, Hatteras said:

I know there is the 8k Dell monitor from 3 (!!!) years ago and the apple (not usable by mortals) 6k display and a couple of 5k displays on the market.

I'd think there are plenty of people that would like to switch to something packed with more pixels.

| no market for these?

There just really isn't a market for them. Right now, most of the work being done that requires high resolution can be done perfectly fine at 4K. I can only speak to the limited photography and cinematography experiences I've had, but for us, color reproduction accuracy is far more important than any push beyond 4K. I usually sit about 2-3 feet back from the mastering displays and from that distance, the individual pixels are not readily distinguishable.

I *guess* it would be nice to have even larger displays to appreciate the impact of some of our larger-format work before it goes to publish, but

1) We've done just fine without it so far

2) I'd have a really hard time making the case to someone with budget oversight given #1

3) A lot of times, the source material we're working with (with the exception of photographs and digital images) is not shot at 8K, and certainly not seen by the end-user at that resolution. So it's enough to be able to pan around the source material at 4K, do our work, and then export.

9 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

There just really isn't a market for them. Right now, most of the work being done that requires high resolution can be done perfectly fine at 4K. I can only speak to the limited photography and cinematography experiences I've had, but for us, color reproduction accuracy is far more important than any push beyond 4K. I usually sit about 2-3 feet back from the mastering displays and from that distance, the individual pixels are not readily distinguishable.

I *guess* it would be nice to have even larger displays to appreciate the impact of some of our larger-format work before it goes to publish, but

1) We've done just fine without it so far

2) I'd have a really hard time making the case to someone with budget oversight given #1

3) A lot of times, the source material we're working with (with the exception of photographs and digital images) is not shot at 8K, and certainly not seen by the end-user at that resolution. So it's enough to be able to pan around the source material at 4K, do our work, and then export.

Hmm it makes sense. If gaming and digital content creation are not really in dire need of higher resolution then the only major "segment" is text processing (e.g. coding). In that case it would be understandable if the manufacturers are not pushing hard for this. To be honest I'm not eager to shed thousands of dollars for sharper text when 4k is alright ... but it would be nice. I just thought that the technology would catch up by now and even have time for prices to drop to reasonable levels.

I read somewhere about someone using the Dell 8k monitor for text processing / coding and he/she was claiming that it was a huge improvement switching back to 4k was very very noticeable. So maybe we are not able to distinguish individual pixels but the higher detail and sharpness are noticeable, especially in text. Now, a lot of people would probably claim that text sharpness is not a good use case (after all, you can pretty much do the same thing with lower resolution) but if you are staring at pixels the whole day you might as well make it a better experience. On the plus side, if you are working in the browser / text editor, you don't really care if there is 8k content or stuff like that - just by having the higher resolution, you already benefit from it. What I can say, from my experience, is that the LG monitors I bought a while ago were well worth it (they were about $600 back then, now the prices have dropped significantly). 

I guess it's just a matter of time. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to make the switch if they don't have to sell a kidney in exchange. My totally unverified and amateur prediction would be that we are soon (end of this, beginning of next year) to have higher resolution options, because

1) DP/hdmi standards have caught up to the higher resolutions (and we have video cards supporting them)

2) apple has a 6k display, now everyone wants one ... that doesn't cost the equivalent amount in dollars (ok fine, not everyone, calm down)

3) we already have a lot of options from normal displays, to hdr displays, to different variants of ultra-wide, etc... if a manufacturer wants to stand out - maybe that's the way

4) it really isn't groundbreaking technology at this point

• 2 months later...

I'll necro bump this thread - if anyone is interested, there seems to be one 8k monitor announced in CES 2021 and it's Viewsonics VP3286-8K (32 inches). It seems to be targeted at photo editing and content creation? Priced at $5000 (very pricey). I didn't see any other monitors with 5k, 6k, 8k resolutions. There is Dell's 5k2k (it's just a wide 4k) and it's, imho, a disappointment. Oh and bunch of 4k, and even 1080 monitors.