Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am upgrading from 16gb RAM (3200 CL16) to 64gb but I'm not sure which would perform well between these two:

G.Skill 64gb (4 x 16gb) 3600 CL16 vs G.Skill 64gb (2 x 32gb) 3600 CL18

I've read some saying that using 4 ram would stress the memory controller and/or you wouldn't get the exact speed.

I want to hear your thoughts on this to help me which one I should get聽馃槄

Btw, I'm using Asus Crosshair 8 Wifi Mobo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lalisa said:

I am upgrading from 16gb RAM (3200 CL16) to 64gb but I'm not sure which would perform well between these two:

G.Skill 64gb (4 x 16gb) 3600 CL16 vs G.Skill 64gb (2 x 32gb) 3600 CL18

I've read some saying that using 4 ram would stress the memory controller and/or you wouldn't get the exact speed.

I want to hear your thoughts on this to help me which one I should get聽馃槄

Btw, I'm using Asus Crosshair 8 Wifi Mobo.

I would say, just get the 2 32gb as yes, it is true. Having 4 sticks聽will stress the memory controller more. With 2 sticks, you can overclock more and better stability.

Link to post
Share on other sites

R9 3900X?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lalisa said:

Yes

Unless it's a bottom 0.1% real potato, you should have no issues running 3600 MT/s.
The lower latency is preferable, but it isn't a huge deal, if it's a fair bit more expensive.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you will tune memory manually, 2 sticks is better than 4

If you'll just enable XMP and never touch memory settings again, 4 will be faster.

CPU:i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software)--> 1.47V at the back of the socketMotherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz)CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15RAM:聽Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000)聽GPU:聽Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream聽vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps))聽SSD:Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GBPSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold聽Case:聽Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1聽exhaust聽Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panelKeyboard:Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps聽Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17聽17-an110ca聽CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA聽undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM:聽8+8GB DDR4-2400聽18-17-17-39聽2T聽Storage:聽1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD聽+ 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172),聽128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2聽SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externallyMonitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168聽Multi-thread: 833聽

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

If you will tune memory manually, 2 sticks is better than 4

If you'll just enable XMP and never touch memory settings again, 4 will be faster.

For bandwidth reasons, 4 memory sticks is better than 2 (for something like threadipper). This is why most people reccomend for example running a threadripper CPU in Quad-channel as opposed to single channel. 4x the memory means almost 4x the speed.

Of course in this situtaion for Ryzen聽it's a wash because the most you can get out of a 3900X is dual-channel anyway. 4聽memory sticks running in a聽dual channel configuration will not improve speed beyond running 2聽sticks in dual channel.

But I'm going to reccomend also using 2x32GB sticks here but for a different reason, and I would even reccomend 2x32 if this was threadripper: Higher memory capacity聽always聽has significantly higher resale value later. Just look at the prices for DDR3. A 4GB stick of DDR3 is worth about $10, but the same memory in an 8GB form factor is worth $25. That's not a linear price scale, so聽Why does the 8GB stick have a 5 dollar premium over the 4GB stick? Because people need to upgrade their older machines with more memory later and may only have 2-4 slots to do it with. Thus they will pay more for聽a higher capacity stick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

For bandwidth reasons, 4 memory sticks is better than 2 (for something like threadipper). This is why most people reccomend for example running a threadripper CPU in Quad-channel as opposed to single channel. 4x the memory means almost 4x the speed.

Of course in this situtaion for Ryzen聽it's a wash because the most you can get out of a 3900X is dual-channel anyway. 4聽memory sticks running in a聽dual channel configuration will not improve speed beyond running 2聽sticks in dual channel.

But I'm going to reccomend also using 2x32GB sticks here but for a different reason, and I would even reccomend 2x32 if this was threadripper: Higher memory capacity聽always聽has significantly higher resale value later. Just look at the prices for DDR3. A 4GB stick of DDR3 is worth about $10, but the same memory in an 8GB form factor is worth $25. That's not a linear price scale, so聽Why does the 8GB stick have a 5 dollar premium over the 4GB stick? Because people need to upgrade their older machines with more memory later and may only have 2-4 slots to do it with. Thus they will pay more for聽a higher capacity stick.

Forgoeing years of performance for $5-20 is hardly a smart decision. Technology drops in value worse than cars, so this is kind of a moot point. Always aim for 1 DIMM per channel, leaving the additional slots for future expansion.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

4聽memory sticks running in a聽dual channel configuration will not improve speed beyond running 2聽sticks in dual channel.

It will. Not only are the timings tighter, but it should benefit from being quad rank while 2x32gb is only dual rank (unless it's the stacked kit which is super tall, but those barely appear in the market)

48 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

聽so聽Why does the 8GB stick have a 5 dollar premium over the 4GB stick? Because people need to upgrade their older machines with more memory later and may only have 2-4 slots to do it with. Thus they will pay more for聽a higher capacity stick.

It's also because people want to pair those older CPUs with 16gb memory (so 2x8gb). I doubt anyone still on AM4 will need more than 32GB when DDR5 becomes popular.

CPU:i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software)--> 1.47V at the back of the socketMotherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz)CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15RAM:聽Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000)聽GPU:聽Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream聽vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps))聽SSD:Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GBPSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold聽Case:聽Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1聽exhaust聽Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panelKeyboard:Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps聽Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17聽17-an110ca聽CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA聽undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM:聽8+8GB DDR4-2400聽18-17-17-39聽2T聽Storage:聽1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD聽+ 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172),聽128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2聽SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externallyMonitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168聽Multi-thread: 833聽

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now