Looking to upgrade my current Rig. Where should I start?

spartanmark6

Hello there!

I am new to the forum and I wanted some suggestions on how I should start updating my PC build. I have been PC gaming for about 5-ish years now, but I haven't really updated my PC much in that time (unless you want to count a jump from a crappy 2010 laptop to an okay-ish build to an old HP workstation). Even though I have been gaming on PC for awhile, I am still relatively new to the whole swapping parts thing. I am hoping to obtain one of the new RTX 30 Series cards next year so that I can run Ray tracing, VR, and maybe even native 4K in the future (although I am completely okay with just 1080p or 1440p assuming that I am able to get a descent monitor with those resolutions). My current PC specs will be down below as well as my latest DXDIAG file.

PC Specs:

System model: HP Z840 Workstation

Processors: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V3 at 2.40 GHz, 2401 MHz, 6 cores, 12 processors (I have 2 of these)

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

RAM: 32 GB (not sure if it's DDR3 or DDR5)

Display: Dell P2210 at 1680x1050 resolution 32 Bit 60Hz (I know it's not ideal for gaming, but it's what I got right now)

Drives: 4 1TB HDDs of various different manufacturers (no SSDs :()

Peripherals: Just regular Dell office keyboard and Logitech mouse (not sure the model names)

DxDiag_October_2020.txt

If you're looking to buy a 30-series card then you'll definitely need a complete system overhaul. I'm not entirely sure how two of these xeons will hold up but they will most likely bottleneck you pretty hard if you go with anything better than a 3060. Swapping the CPU will also force you to get DDR4 ram (you currently have DDR3), new motherboard and an SSD or two (unless you like to torture yourself with 4 hard-drives). What I would do is just sell the whole PC or take it apart and sell the parts separately (depending which can get you the most money) and start from the beginning with a new platform.

38 minutes ago, Vaibbhav said:

Are you on a budget?

Yes, I am sort of on a budget. I currently don't have like $5,000 to dump on a new PC right now. I kind of wanted something that I can iterate on for awhile, something I can slowly update the parts to if you know what I mean.

22 minutes ago, Jakub_NF said:

If you're looking to buy a 30-series card then you'll definitely need a complete system overhaul. I'm not entirely sure how two of these xeons will hold up but they will most likely bottleneck you pretty hard if you go with anything better than a 3060. Swapping the CPU will also force you to get DDR4 ram (you currently have DDR3), new motherboard and an SSD or two (unless you like to torture yourself with 4 hard-drives). What I would do is just sell the whole PC or take it apart and sell the parts separately (depending which can get you the most money) and start from the beginning with a new platform.

Thanks for the input! I had a sneaking suspicion that would most likely have to start from scratch. I was hoping that maybe I could salvage most of it and just update a few parts, but the more I think about it, it might be cheaper to start from scratch. Do you have any suggestions on what parts I could start with?

2 hours ago, spartanmark6 said:

Yes, I am sort of on a budget. I currently don't have like $5,000 to dump on a new PC right now. I kind of wanted something that I can iterate on for awhile, something I can slowly update the parts to if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the input! I had a sneaking suspicion that would most likely have to start from scratch. I was hoping that maybe I could salvage most of it and just update a few parts, but the more I think about it, it might be cheaper to start from scratch. Do you have any suggestions on what parts I could start with?

I would wait for the new AMD chips to come out and see if they're worth it. If not then you will most likely be able to take the advantage of price drops on previous generations and/or Intel CPUs. Apparently the existing z490 motherboards will support Intel 11th gen when it comes out in 2021 so getting something like a i5-10600k could also be a good call. 2x8gb ram @3200mhz (should be easily overclockable to 3600mhz). When it comes to storage I prefer to go full SSD (mix of m.2 nvme and 2.5" sata ones) and yuou should get at least a 500gb one for your OS and some apps that you want to launch quickly, having HDDs is fine for media and game storage if you're ok with slow loading times. Monitor is probably the most important thing when it comes to noticing the difference and 1440p 144hz is the meta but those tend to cost around $400 for a decent one so you might lean towards a standard 1080p 144hz one if you're on a tighter budget. I'd say get a better monitor (especially if you're going with a good GPU) because it won't leave you with a situation like "I bought this ok 1080p monitor but now have the extra money and could have gotten a better one instead", I know something about that myself.