Every other monitor is DEAD to me - LG CX OLED 48"

James

Any news on pricing and availability in Canada? Or will we have to wait for next year? :(

So whats the type naming for the rest of the world? Is this like the same as OLED48CX6LB but for Europe instead?

27 minutes ago, Martinspire said:

So whats the type naming for the rest of the world? Is this like the same as OLED48CX6LB but for Europe instead?

In Germany it's called the OLED48CX 8LC

There are also 8LB models.

No clue why they're making it so difficult to identify their products.

But what I know, is that I need this in 34" or 38" ultrawide.

2 hours ago, James said:

Buy LG OLED48CXPUB TV
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/nKqi5f
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/u6sPGB
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/sWBJ

Buy LG OLED48CXPUB TV On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/TOEzA On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/uvVjyDS On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ivPTy6

"Hell, its about time"

Well done gents.

I will emphasis the fact that the whole 48gbs vs 40gbs bandwidth 'issue' is entirely pointless as the the panel itself is 10bit, so the ability to accept 12bit input with 48gbs is kinda silly.

Also, if ur going to spend this much on a display, BUY A CALIBRATOR !, that way u dont need to worry about color inaccuracies between the gaming profile and other profiles of the DIsplay.

Ill also add that any1 who wants to give one of these a shot should understand that some minor changes in your habitual use will be 'ideal' to avoid 'noticeable' pixel degradation (burn-in).

For starters dont do what Linus did with his video editing software, that being, dont open it up fullscreen. Continued use liek this will cause the menu bars at the top to always be displayed in the exact same position , which will eventually cause burn in. Instead resize and position it urself, each time u open it, and every couple hours just move it slightly. Do this with all windows, such as internet browsers and other programs.

it sounds like a chore, but i assure u, it becomes second nature, i've been doing ti with my plasma for over 10 years, i dont even realize im doing it most the time.

There are other things u should do as well. Try not to have icons on ur desktop, if u need them, then use a program like 'Wallpaper engine' and make them semi transparent, and use an animated wallpaper and/or have a large library of wallpapers that change every few minutes. Then ofc also make sure ur taskbar has auto hide enabled.

You can also enabled a basic black screensaver as well.

Beyond that, just make sure u dont leave a game with a higher contrast static HUD/UI on the screen for 6+ hours every day. You can get away with a long gaming session of a single game, even one as vibrant and contrasty as fortnight, but dont do it all the time.

A game like COD:WWII can be played on a OLED for thousands of hours without issue, but try doing the same with a game like FIFA and ull end up with burn in.

@James  It would be interesting to see a video testing people at LTT with the CX 48" and other high frequency gaming monitors to see if they prefer the crystal clear 120hz motion of the OLED or the slower response but higher frequency of a 240hz+ gaming Monitor.

I'm of the opinion that a 120hz OLED will provide subjectively better moving image than that of a 240 monitor, even if the 240hz+ monitors 'technically' have the 'smoother' motion.

For those interested here is rtings.com review

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled

Currently stands as the best 'monitor' they have tested.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Was this an LG ad? Because Linus' impressions doesn't make sense. This "monitor" have the exact ppi(91.97) ratio as a 24" 1080p display which is not good.. like I can definitely see the individual pixels, even on my 27" 1440p which is 108.79 ppi. How can Linus say 48" 4K looks better than a 27" 2K when the later has a higher pixel density. I just can't imagine how this is usable given normal eye distance to monitor, the size of the monitor itself and the low pixel density.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

>48 inch

>monitor

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgifimage.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F07%2Fboi-gif-12.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

John Archer found in his review the display to have a clear stuttering issue when running 4k 120.  LG has since stated they are "confident" it can get fixed with firmware.  Did anyone at LMG notice a stuttering issue when doing this review?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/10/18/lg-oled48cx-oled-tv-review-the-xbox-series-x-and-ps5s-best-friend/#5ae1140e5b7e

O Canada, our home and bending Land.

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

Loving the Yubikey ad spot. Still waiting on IPS to add token support. Maybe one of the new devs 👀

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I think Linus has forgotten about burn in, sure he mentioned it but he is also clearly forgetting his wife caused it on one of their TVs at home as well. OLEDs are fine for phones since most people toss them after 2 years and same with TVs so long you don't leave it on a 24/7 news/weather channel, but for a monitor I expect to last the life of the computer at least. I'm still using a monitor from 2013/14, still working as intended, likely can't say that about a OLED in 7-8 years.

So my answer till burn in is removed about OLED monitors:

tenor.gif

The monitor could talk to your preferred deity and I still wouldn't use it for a computer.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:25 PM, Zageron said:

Any news on pricing and availability in Canada? Or will we have to wait for next year? :(

I thought LG said in July it was not coming to Canada, or they had no plans to release it in Canada.  

I did see amazon.ca did create a listing for it, so theres that.. 

I've been using a 49" 4K TV as monitor for years now, and a high refresh rate and VRR of the same size, OLED even better was what I've been waiting for since, so I might be tempted... I do photo editing but have a calibrator so don't worry too much about that.

Only drawback is it isn't curved, my current TV is and it does a noticeable imprivement to the center/corner distance difference, and also to panel viewing angle although that wouldn't be an issue on an OLED.

On 10/20/2020 at 9:47 PM, Progressor said:

How can Linus say 48" 4K looks better than a 27" 2K when the later has a higher pixel density.

Becasue you watch it from a bit farther away.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 10/20/2020 at 8:56 PM, Senzelian said:

In Germany it's called the OLED48CX 8LC

There are also 8LB models.

No clue why they're making it so difficult to identify their products.

And here it's 6LA or 9LB... still don't know what the difference is. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

This is OLED, not LCD and has perfect blacks and no glow, certainly better than any CRT.

F@H

GPD Win 2

So what places in Asia have they launched? 

https://www.digit.in/news/tvs/lgs-48-inch-oled-finally-starts-shipping-coming-to-asian-markets-in-june-54483.html

Been using a $275 TCL 43S405 for years, it's plain jane, 60hz 4K but it's been one of the best purchases I have made since the GeForce 256. I game on it, not competitively, but it's fine-enough, text is sharp, bright enough for a dim-ish room, I spend 12 hours a day in front of the thing looking at side by side spreadsheets and other office web crap and it's been a lifesaver compared to budget 27" 1080 and 1440's.. I can't find anything even remotely in the price range in 32" or up to replace it with, still, and I look, every couple months. I know I'm getting old and piddle around playing ED and Mass Effect and the like, but the stupid TV is good at being a monitor.  Also the speakers are garbage but who cares. And it has a reasonably functioning Roku lol.  It is damn hard to go back after you have a 40"+ "monitor".  The only drag has been buying enough GPU to run 4K at reasonable settings.    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-s405-4k-2018

5 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Is burn-in really still that big of a problem?

Depends on the use case.

if ur thinking u can mistreat it like an LCD, then yes its a problem.

if u treat it like displays used to be treated in the days of CRT and Plasma, then no.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I got to see a 48CX in a store yesterday, wanted to have a look first hand to make sure the pixel gap was acceptable, early OLEDs had small pixels in a sea of black leading to bad screen door effect, but it looks like it's solved now, the gap is tiny, maybe even less than an LCD.

Starting to seriously consider it...

F@H

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Depends on the use case.

if ur thinking u can mistreat it like an LCD, then yes its a problem.

if u treat it like displays used to be treated in the days of CRT and Plasma, then no.

This is my first OLED ever so I'm a bit new to this. Essentially, if I'm only using it for gaming and movies, I should be good as long as I have a constantly moving image?

3 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

This is my first OLED ever so I'm a bit new to this. Essentially, if I'm only using it for gaming and movies, I should be good as long as I have a constantly moving image?

Well... see my 1st post in this thread.

Spoiler
On 10/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, SolarNova said:

"Hell, its about time"

Well done gents.

I will emphasis the fact that the whole 48gbs vs 40gbs bandwidth 'issue' is entirely pointless as the the panel itself is 10bit, so the ability to accept 12bit input with 48gbs is kinda silly.

Also, if ur going to spend this much on a display, BUY A CALIBRATOR !, that way u dont need to worry about color inaccuracies between the gaming profile and other profiles of the DIsplay.

Ill also add that any1 who wants to give one of these a shot should understand that some minor changes in your habitual use will be 'ideal' to avoid 'noticeable' pixel degradation (burn-in).

For starters dont do what Linus did with his video editing software, that being, dont open it up fullscreen. Continued use liek this will cause the menu bars at the top to always be displayed in the exact same position , which will eventually cause burn in. Instead resize and position it urself, each time u open it, and every couple hours just move it slightly. Do this with all windows, such as internet browsers and other programs.

it sounds like a chore, but i assure u, it becomes second nature, i've been doing ti with my plasma for over 10 years, i dont even realize im doing it most the time.

There are other things u should do as well. Try not to have icons on ur desktop, if u need them, then use a program like 'Wallpaper engine' and make them semi transparent, and use an animated wallpaper and/or have a large library of wallpapers that change every few minutes. Then ofc also make sure ur taskbar has auto hide enabled.

You can also enabled a basic black screensaver as well.

Beyond that, just make sure u dont leave a game with a higher contrast static HUD/UI on the screen for 6+ hours every day. You can get away with a long gaming session of a single game, even one as vibrant and contrasty as fortnight, but dont do it all the time.

A game like COD:WWII can be played on a OLED for thousands of hours without issue, but try doing the same with a game like FIFA and ull end up with burn in.

@James  It would be interesting to see a video testing people at LTT with the CX 48" and other high frequency gaming monitors to see if they prefer the crystal clear 120hz motion of the OLED or the slower response but higher frequency of a 240hz+ gaming Monitor.

I'm of the opinion that a 120hz OLED will provide subjectively better moving image than that of a 240 monitor, even if the 240hz+ monitors 'technically' have the 'smoother' motion.

For those interested here is rtings.com review

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled

Currently stands as the best 'monitor' they have tested.

20 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Well... see my 1st post in this thread.

Reveal hidden contents

Awesome, thanks for the tips! Time to start learning some new habits.