Which of the following will transmit Wi-Fi better?

Ligonsker

I was planning to buy the TP-Link RE305 Wi-Fi extender and use it as AP but it only has 10/100 ethernet port..

So I thought maybe to use the TP-Link wr841n AP instead because it's cheaper and also seem to have big antennas. But maybe it's not about size and the RE305 would still have better Wi-Fi than the wr841n?

*Or other suggestions at this budget? It's for a small house (60sq mr/645sq ft)

Thanks!

Both got 10/100 port lol

8 minutes ago, Ligonsker said:

RE305 would still have better Wi-Fi than the wr841n?

Indeed, yes, as it's using 802.11ac and 5GHz (which is a MUST when you have too much wi-fi crowding around your house, check it using WiFi Analyzer tho) already.

8 minutes ago, Ligonsker said:

*Or other suggestions at this budget? It's for a small house (60sq mr/645sq ft)

Probably you can get the one with better transmitting power. An Archer AC1200 router (router can be used as an AP btw, even sometimes it's cheaper funnily) would be nice.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

hi i just want to know something really quick are you trying to use a ethernet port from your isp router and plug it in to the extender? if its not a wan port is not going to work

and also the range extenders dont work that way and they are what they advertise they will be xtenders not routers or ap's  they just extend the signal but at the price of :

-Yes It does Extends Your Wifi at the price of speed so higher latency and lower down and up speeds wich can be critical when doing gaming on pc or console.

-they are just not reliabe.

-sometimes dont look good and its sticks out of the outlet and sometimes even taking the two outlets because its too big and bulky and sometimes does not match your astethic or colors of the wall etc.

-and do not handle a lot of clients especially in a crowded bands area (something really bad specially in apartments) And areas with a lot of devices even changing the bands on the initial configuration or later change of settings and config.

- they have the stupid SSID_ext on both bands and can not be changed or merged to the existing network.

-Also they dont change seamlessly with devices so you will have to manually go to the settings of the device and change it manually.

What i did Run ethernet cable from my main router to the area i have no signal in this case master bedroom to my room and on that space of my room i used a netgear router AC100 Set it up as acces point and switch because it has 4 ports in the back i set up a main network for me and my devices did a channel band check with wifi analyzer on my phone i choosed the best band for my acces point and also set up a guest network so when i have friends and family over i dont have to give them acces to my private network including lights,printer,chromecast (also Have the chromecast Setup with the guest code so we can share stuff on my tv) and a google home.

If you cannot do this because for wathever reason can run a ethernet cable i would go with the option of a home mesh wifi system i have friends that have it and its a great solution just that we did not do it because it was expensive.

and also the reason for not doing mesh is we have the wiring for a later date nas setup for editing on the network locally. 

im always open to disscus it as long as it is a friendly discussion.

Thank you but I currently use this cheap Chinese banana shaped 300N WiFi booster that can act as AP as well and that's how I'm currently using it. You are right that it has ext in the name but you can change it to whatever you want in the browser when you log in the booster IP. I changed it already. And I'm using a regular LAN port of my ISP router and not the WAN (it does have WAN).

I know what you're saying about Ethernet, but this cheap Chinese AP is working well to deliver WiFi to all the rooms, which the ISP router did not do. So I just thought that if such cheap AP is doing so well, what can a better one do

2 hours ago, Ligonsker said:

How about Xiaomi routers? Look at that: Xiaomi Redmi AC2100

It looks better than both. Makes sense that it's only 37$?

Looks fine to me, even it's actually better than the one I recommend. Gigabit and that's enough AC bandwidth for basically everything in the house.

But before you'd buy those. Reminders, of course. You got devices (laptop, phones) that support AC 5 GHz wifi, right? Otherwise the upgrade would be completely useless as no devices can even connect to it, and instead get the higher-bandwidth N routers.

And, don't forget either the gigabit port on the new router would be another uselessness if from the first place you don't use any gigabit wiring from the ISP router.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

I think most smartphones today use 5Ghz or I'm wrong? And even if the ISP router is not Gigabit, this router is much cheaper than the other brands. It also has a non-Gigabit version for 25$ but WITH 4 antennas. I think this router with 6 antennas is a beast. Just wonder how could it be so cheap.. I'm afraid it will explode and burn the house down lol

7 minutes ago, Ligonsker said:

I think most smartphones today use 5Ghz or I'm wrong? And even if the ISP router is not Gigabit, this router is much cheaper than the other brands. It also has a non-Gigabit version for 25$ but WITH 4 antennas. I think this router with 6 antennas is a beast. Just wonder how could it be so cheap.. I'm afraid it will explode and burn the house down lol

Depends. Always check GSMArena to make sure of it. Your laptop/another else using wifi, either.

Indeed it's a beast, and I hope no more too much lags if someone just stream a lot of YouTube, indeed. And, it's darn cheap because... Tbh I can't even find credible information of the device itself. I'd go for another brand with more reliable source of information (indeed TP-Link is one of them) if I were you. More expensive, yes, but at least the warranties and support can come handy.

I can deeply feel (hurt inside) how a 300N router came from the ISP handling 5 clients at the same time. Two of them are streaming, sucks man.

Even internet just went dead and can't do shit when a big-pack of my family came and connect to it, like 10 devices and all of them wanna streaming, only two of them got their stream coming. What a nightmare.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

haha damn! So maybe give this beast 6 antennas Xiaomi router a try as well? I gave them a try when they were unknown with smartphones back with the Redmi 2 and the Mi 4c that I ordered from China (It had no global version). and it was good. So I have good experience with cheap Xiaomi products.

And I don't worry about warranty when I buy Xiaomi because of the price - For the price you can simply buy another one or two of the same products if it breaks (But today you can actually even send it back for warranty on some products)

2 minutes ago, Ligonsker said:

haha damn! So maybe give this beast 6 antennas Xiaomi router a try as well? I gave them a try when they were unknown with smartphones back with the Redmi 2 and the Mi 4c that I ordered from China (It had no global version). and it was good. So I have good experience with cheap Xiaomi products.

And I don't worry about warranty when I buy Xiaomi because of the price - For the price you can simply buy another one or two of the same products if it breaks (But today you can actually even send it back for warranty on some products)

Indeed Xiaomi got good phones (personally was using Redmi 5A, changed to Note 8 right now) and, as well, another products. I praise their cheapo products somehow, even when Note 7 is out it's... Always out of stock. Yet the Xiaomi smart TV's darn popular at here, either.

Well, give it a try then. I never actually played with other Xiaomi products than their phones lol

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

Hi Again couple of things:

1-Wifi Boosters And Wifi Range Extenders Are Not The Same Thing. 

2-Range Extenders And Wifi Boosters Are Not AP's They Are Boosters And Extenders Yes they do create a ''second network'' wich you can make it look like an Acces point but its not the same.

3-What I Meant about the ethernet thing I Mean from The LAN Port From the ISP provided box to the "supossed wan port" on the booster/extender they are not for wan they are supposed to be regular lan ports.

4-also wifi boosters and extenders work separetly acces points are meant to be used a least 2 on the same building or house,etc because they work with eachother kinda like mesh wifi systems.

5- And to be honest with you probably the wifi booster or range extender doesnt give you te full sped and low latency that a acces point,router or mesh system does.

I know but the RE305 WiFi booster has an AP mode where you can use it as AP with cable. So I wondered if he has good enough antennas like a dedicated AP