Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Possible SSD issue or Windows.

Hi guys,

So over the last few months my PC has got a little slower to boot around 20 seconds, now this isn't a huge issue as most of the time I turn it on and go off and get changed maybe make a drink so I don't notice but I recently updated a laptop for someone with a SSD from a HDD and it boots to use in 4 seconds vs mine 20. The main thing I noticed was it hangs on a black screen with just a - flashing for 10 seconds then boots no issues.

Its not the best drive a WD green m.2 Sata. I just think it should be a faster when I do a test for its speed it runs fine and hits the speeds it should not NVME but a lot faster than  HDD anyone got am idea would be much appreciated!!

Edit: Total boot time 34 seconds 26 on the gigabyte screen 6 of the black screen with - flashing 2 windows loading. 

UPDATE: So I did a BIOS update from F5 to F14 and now boot time is a lot faster and BIOS boot time in Task manager down from 40 to under 10 seconds! 

-Gurky 

Ow okay then....

Fellow WD Green user here. I just tested it and I kind of got 12.5-ish seconds. Sometimes, as you said before, around 10 seconds and just got blank screen for, like 5-10 seconds after the boot circling-thing before went to the lockscreen.

Probably because we simply using a DRAM-less (and actually garbage, from ALL of the SSD tiers I checked) SSD and the one that got 4 second boot actually got a better quality SSD.

But nonetheless it's a lot better than HDD after all, tbh.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers:

Acer Aspire E5-475G

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz (Turbo 3.1 GHz) || NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB

4GB Micron DDR4 + 4GB Team Group DDR4 PC19200

120 GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD + 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3N SATA SSD

Windows 10 Single Language x64

Some old computer laying around as my HTPC

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz || (fake lol) NVIDIA GeForce GT730 2GB DDR3

Some random old motherboard. Works fine tho.

512 MB + 512 MB random DDR memory

40GB IDE HDD + 1 TB old laptop SATA HDD, got bad sector unfortunately

Linux Mint 20 Ulyana Xfce x64

Some old TCL CRT TV laying around + RCA to HDMI converter

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage 

64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage

MIUI 11 Global

Aukey Turbo Charger PA-U28 QC2.0 + Aukey CB-CD4 PVC Type-C Cable

Audio

Some random home-theater speakers I took freely from someplace and big-ass bass with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho.

dbE DJ100 Headphone

if you have a lot of devices plugged in at start up, it takes longer to post.

my desktop had a BIOS time of 15.2 seconds on my last boot.

my laptop had 5.3 seconds. and has nothing but power plugged in

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

5 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Fellow WD Green user here. I just tested it and I kind of got 12.5-ish seconds. Sometimes, as you said before, around 10 seconds and just got blank screen for, like 5-10 seconds after the boot circling-thing before went to the lockscreen.

Probably because we simply using a DRAM-less (and actually garbage, from ALL of the SSD tiers I checked) SSD and the one that got 4 second boot actually got a better quality SSD.

But nonetheless it's a lot better than HDD after all, tbh.

Yeah at the time was cheap and cheerful and did me the job of getting off a HDD on a budget.

Might start to look at nvme m.2 my board is only PCIE Gen 3 I think (I've done a post before so know what I'm doing for)

Thanks for the help

Ow okay then....

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

if you have a lot of devices plugged in at start up, it takes longer to post.

my desktop had a BIOS time of 15.2 seconds on my last boot.

my laptop had 5.3 seconds. and has nothing but power plugged in

That's a good shout i do have a lot plugged in! Might unplug a few and see such as my external back up drive.

Ow okay then....