is there any mod that makes CPU coolers(preferable low profile coolers) mountable on graphics cards

Newblesse Obblige

I know this is not recommended but I want to experiment it myself. I planning to put a low profile CPU cooler that has the mounting system as tower coolers like the Noctua NH-L12S on a RX 570 or a GTX 1650. I will also palnning to put small heat sink on othe parts that also needs cooling like the VRAM and etc. Do you think it will work? I only see people use tower coolers but not those downdraft low profile CPU coolers.

Depends on what you mean by "work". It'll probably run, provided you don't damage anything, but the GPU might run too hot, causing it to throttle.

How ever many watt the GPU generates in heat, the cooler should be rated for. A low profile cooler  probably can't keep the GPU cool enough.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Putting a low profile cooler on those cards will only result in worse temperatures. Why? Well the cooler is simply put smaller than what is already commonly on those cards.

When you do this at least do it properly and get like a big boi cooler on there it really is as simple as supporting the cooler and screwing it in to the gpu by just drilling some extra holes into the mounting mechanisms or well zipties.

if you still want a thin card but with better thermals remove the shroud and fans and strap on some aftermarket fans with zipties will be far better than any lp cooler on there.

So you want to replace the low profile cooler that's been specifically designed for that card with one that isn't and probably won't have as much thermal dissipation capacity?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You can make a CPU cooler work on a GPU, but you'll run into the problem that other than the die itself, all the other important components won't be cooled as good if at all. Like the VRMs and the VRAM.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You can make a CPU cooler work on a GPU, but you'll run into the problem that other than the die itself, all the other important components won't be cooled as good if at all. Like the VRMs and the VRAM.

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

So you want to replace the low profile cooler that's been specifically designed for that card with one that isn't and probably won't have as much thermal dissipation capacity?

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Putting a low profile cooler on those cards will only result in worse temperatures. Why? Well the cooler is simply put smaller than what is already commonly on those cards.

When you do this at least do it properly and get like a big boi cooler on there it really is as simple as supporting the cooler and screwing it in to the gpu by just drilling some extra holes into the mounting mechanisms or well zipties.

if you still want a thin card but with better thermals remove the shroud and fans and strap on some aftermarket fans with zipties will be far better than any lp cooler on there.

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Depends on what you mean by "work". It'll probably run, provided you don't damage anything, but the GPU might run too hot, causing it to throttle.

How ever many watt the GPU generates in heat, the cooler should be rated for. A low profile cooler  probably can't keep the GPU cool enough.

Even if the cooler is downdraft design? In my mind, since it is downdraft it will also cooler the VRMs and VRAMs like what it does on CPU VRMs and RAM. I listed the 1650 because it is the least power hungry yet powerful(lol) GPU i know. I just wonder low profile coolers can handle it? 

3 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Even if the cooler is downdraft design? In my mind, since it is downdraft it will also cooler the VRMs and VRAMs like what it does on CPU VRMs and RAM. I listed the 1650 because it is the least power hungry yet powerful(lol) GPU i know. I just wonder low profile coolers can handle it? 

A gpu cooler is literally that. A downdraft low profile cooler. What you are doing is taking away a perfectly fitted larger cooler and replacing it with a not properly fitting smaller worse cooler. All it's going to do is make your gpu run worse. If you really want to modify it to make it more silent and cooler better on the cheap. Remove the shroud, fans, adjust the heatsink a little bit of needed and strap some random desktop fans to it with zipties. Does not get better than that if you want to keep it low profile.

If you want crazy cooling get a giant cooler and mount it on. Plenty of videos about that. A crapton of work but it's stupid good. But again it's just a 1650 or 570. Those things are easy to cool and with just doing the fan replacement mod turn into silent cool cards. A low profile cooler for a cpu will only make it run worse if at all due to how much weaker those coolers are.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

A gpu cooler is literally that. A downdraft low profile cooler. What you are doing is taking away a perfectly fitted larger cooler and replacing it with a not properly fitting smaller worse cooler. All it's going to do is make your gpu run worse. If you really want to modify it to make it more silent and cooler better on the cheap. Remove the shroud, fans, adjust the heatsink a little bit of needed and strap some random desktop fans to it with zipties. Does not get better than that if you want to keep it low profile.

If you want crazy cooling get a giant cooler and mount it on. Plenty of videos about that. A crapton of work but it's stupid good. But again it's just a 1650 or 570. Those things are easy to cool and with just doing the fan replacement mod turn into silent cool cards. A low profile cooler for a cpu will only make it run worse if at all due to how much weaker those coolers are.

I see

5 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

I see

air gos in the top of the fans and out the sides of the gpu.

you could replace the gpu fans to get better temps/ same temps but quieter or buy an after market cooler like attic or water cool it. but it would also look at your case and how its air is first.

i add some fans to an xr 470 as the stock fans were broken. i could have stole some and made some work but w/e. i only add 3 pin fans so they ran 100% all the time the way i would do it is add pwm fans and get a gpu fan adapter. aslo ied use like 92 mm fans or 80mm fans.

rx4704gb 004.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

air gos in the top of the fans and out the sides of the gpu.

you could replace the gpu fans to get better temps/ same temps but quieter or buy an after market cooler like attic or water cool it. but it would also look at your case and how its air is first.

i add some fans to an xr 470 as the stock fans were broken. i could have stole some and made some work but w/e. i only add 3 pin fans so they ran 100% all the time the way i would do it is add pwm fans and get a gpu fan adapter. aslo ied use like 92 mm fans or 80mm fans.

rx4704gb 004.jpg

Does the GPU fans use the same fan connector was regular fans?

1 hour ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Does the GPU fans use the same fan connector was regular fans?

no theres a gpu fan connector you have to buy.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 10/20/2020 at 10:24 PM, 5GigaaHertz said:

A bit out of topic but does it have the same connector as PSU fan, Specifically Flex PSUs.

i don't no what the gpu connector is. they don't make it easy so you have to buy pre made cables. but if you do more digging you probly could find it. i just link a cable not the best deal cable.

this is one of those scientific "it can be done? yes. It should be done? Nope." examples.

However it still intrigues me.

i squee.

from my bottom.

of my heart