Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My custom PC gets in funky state and cannot wake from sleep

Hello everyone, first off, here's my parts list for my custom PC I built a few (4?) years ago.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory Mushkin Stealth 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB 100 Million Edition Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair Professional 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Optical Drive LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $0.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-20 01:35 EDT-0400  

I have been trying to figure out a weird power-related issue for years, but still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. When my PC falls asleep, it sometimes gets into a state where it cannot wake. When you hit a keyboard key, mouse button, or the case power button, the case light turns on, the fan spins for a few seconds, but the screen never turns on. After a few seconds. The light goes off and the fan stops. Without touching anything, the computer repeats this process indefinitely. The only way out of this state is to hold the power button to completely shut the computer down, then turn it on again.

I have Windows 10 x64 Pro installed. I've made sure all of my drivers and BIOS are up to date. I've tried turning on and off most power-related settings in windows, including hibernation and hybrid sleep settings. I've fiddled with my BIOS settings and then reset it to default. Nothing seems to work.

The one thing I have found that seems to make a difference is if I turn the PC off, then switch off the power supply switch on the back, then press the PC power button, then turn everything back on, I can put the computer to sleep and it will wake properly. However, if I leave it running overnight or something and it goes to sleep on a timer, it seems to have the same issue again.

Hope somebody can help!

it may have a bad hard drive as if you did have it shipped it was most likely dropped.