(Probably dumb) question about two graphics cards

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,

mayo or mustard for my turkey sandwich tonight?

Jokes aside, it does work, just not with the 9400 GT because it's too old compared to the 650 Ti BOOST.

I currently have an Asus B350-F mobo, an R5 3600 (was a 1600x but... something happened that I'd rather not talk about), 16GB Teamgroup Pro Dark 3200, WD 2TB something, WD 300GB something, WD Caviar Green 3TB, and a Crucial M4 128GB, a TSSTCorp almost all-in-one optical drive (and proud of it), a 250MB zip drive (that Windows doesn't want to play nicely with... maybe 750MB will work better), a 1.44MB floppy drive (going to get adapter to USB to use, but is powered), an LG WH16NS40 (to watch my complete collection of Harry Potter movies that are on Blu-Ray... and I use my NOT SLIM PS2 to watch DVDs...), a case that doesn't have a name anywhere but has a barcode on the bottom that doesn't bring anything up, and an EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost.

I have another, identical EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost that I plan to put in once I get an Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) after X670 or X590 or whatever the new X-series chipset is for AMD 'cause then X470 will be ignored and cheap.

I also have a SYBA expansion card with 1 2-device IDE controller and 2 SATA ports (that made my system unbootable when a hard drive was connected to them, but the IDE controller works and that's all I was after - the SATA ports were a bonus)

I also have a Gigabyte GTX 750, but it's being used by something else.

Cooling!

Some Thermaltake cooler that looks like a spiky tube with a fan in the middle.

And 2 Molex fans.

There.

Now you know everything that I plan to put in it and why.

By the way, this is a bit of a hodge podge of a system - it was put together originally in 2010 by my dad with an ASUS M4A88TDV-EVO/USB3, a Phenom X3 something (which I unlocked to a 4-core), the optical drive, the cooler and fans, the hard drives (plus 2 more that died, I still remember waking up in the night to BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP and thinking our house was on fire or something), and a Gigabyte GeForce 9400 GT.

It was then upgraded right after Ryzen 2nd gen launched to an ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming, an Ryzen 5 1600x, and a Gigabyte GTX 750.

I then got a Ryzen 5 3600 (my 1600X... well... it works (I think) but it won't fit... if you know what I mean) right before it went up in price.

I then got some 650 Ti Boosts in a build from my uncle, whereupon I compared the 750 to the 650 Ti Boost, found that the 650 Ti Boost was better at the things I used it for, and swapped it in.

On to my question.

Should I put the 9400 GT in the PCIe 2.0 slot at the bottom of my board?

I plan to just take its VRAM and make a drive out of it for fun.

Will it hurt performance at all?

In case you are wondering, in February, all I knew about processors was that Core i7 > Core i5 > Core i3 > Celeron.

The Core i9 didn't even exist for me until April.

I didn't even know that different generations of Core i7/i5/i3s existed until May.

AMD didn't exist for me until June, when it happened.

Then since July onward I have become very educated in computer terms and the like.

Sorry for the ramble - it's night and I don't write very well at night.

elephants

17 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I plan to just take its VRAM and make a drive out of it for fun.

do you know how much vram that card has? 

just for reference, most peoples ssd boot drives might have 250 gigs to 500 gigs. most peoples main drives have 1-4 gigs of storage.

and some more food for thought, the lowest amount of ram you can have with ddr4 is 4 gb.

now, how much vram does this card have?

not even a gig.

to be honest, why are you planning to put up to gen 6 (maybe) ryzen while using a nvidia card that is like what, 6 generations behind? no offence, the performance while not the worst, will choke slam your cpu.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 minute ago, eeeee1 said:

to be honest, why are you planning to put up to gen 6 (maybe) ryzen while using a nvidia card that is like what, 6 generations behind? no offence, the performance while not the worst, will choke slam your cpu.

OP did not mention any gaming at all as part of their usage

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

OP did not mention any gaming at all as part of their usage

he did ask whether this would degrade performace, right here:

20 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Will it hurt performance at all?

and if he is right and he is well educated on pc's, he should know you could run windows 10 on a igpu. with this one word i assumed he would be doing some sort of heavier work load other than watching harry potter and doing internet surfing.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I can tell you now that unless you can find a driver that supports both, it won't work

i tried using a GT9600 and a gtx970 in a single system, it didnt work for the reason above

i did some digging, and this seems to be the newest driver for 9 series gpu

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/112596/en-us

and it only covers up to 400 series

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

19 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

X670 or X590

Last I heard there will not be another am4 chipset, trying to google amd X590 yields a bunch of year old articles.
X670 should be am5...
You might be able to get a good deal on a mobo come black friday/cyber monday though.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

My gaming applications will be Minecraft, Cemu (3D World + Mario Maker), Dolphin (Mario Wii), Citra (3D Land), and a few Steam games.

As for why I want to make a 512MB VRAM drive?

Fun.

I'm weird like that.

And as to why I have a 650 Ti Boost/750, that's the best hardware I have.

I currently am saving up for a better power supply that will allow me to use a better graphics card.

Waiting until Black Friday. 

elephants

Answer to my own question:

I put the 9400 GT in by PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, Windows booted up, and...

it didn't show up.

In Device Manager it was "Microsoft Display Adapter" or something like that and Windows spat out an error that sounded like it wasn't able to talk to it very well.

I wasn't able to find a functioning driver, and the B350 chipset doesn't support 2 NVIDIA GPUs anyway (I think)

So could I put it in? Yes. Will it hurt performance? Probably not, as it didn't configure correctly. Could I make a VRAM drive? No.

What did I learn?

1. All motherboards should have at least 1 PCIe x4 slot,

2. The front I/O ports should be on the side of the motherboard.

elephants

• 9 months later...

mayo or mustard for my turkey sandwich tonight?

Jokes aside, it does work, just not with the 9400 GT because it's too old compared to the 650 Ti BOOST.

elephants