Graphics on monitor look like crap when using HDMI from laptop

Hi,

I pick up my new PC tomorrow but I wanted to test out the monitor so I plugged a HDMI cable from my laptop into the monitor. 

Although I started to play rocket league and I notice the graphics look terrible on the monitor but perfect on my laptop.

I'm really confused and am kinda freaking out lol please help

Its this due to using the HDMI? Will my pc with a RTX 2060 make the graphics the same or better than my laptop?

For reference my monitor is the ASUS TUF Gaming VG24VQ 23.6”  and my laptop is the ASUS ROG GX502GV

Thank you for your help!

hdmi port can only do 60hz, may operate off cpu's igpu

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

hdmi port can only do 60hz, may operate off cpu's igpu

It has a HDMI2.0b port, it can easily handle 1080p 144hz.

There can be multiple reasons. One is that the laptop may be operating the HDMI off the iGPU, most laptops can switch it to the dGPU however.

Another is a crap HDMI, although most HDMI cables can probably handle most resolutions (if under like 4K). 

Another is that Windows (happens to me) may be operating the display at a stupid resolution. I have a 4K TV and sometimes it likes to put it at 600 x 800 to laugh at me. So I have to open up Settings to operate it at 4K, works fine but of course no game I run will operate at 4K with tolerable framerate on a 940MX. Make sure it isnt duplicating the display,  that causes issues for me if the resolutions and refresh rate is different.

Your laptop as a 2060 if Im not mistaken, and the display is what, a 1080p display? No reason it shouldn't drive the display at 1080P 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It has a HDMI2.0b port, it can easily handle 1080p 144hz.

This says it's capped at 60hz, https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/asus-rog-zephyrus-s-gx502

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

It could be the lower pixel density but it could also be the graphics settings in the game. Make sure your monitor resolution is setup properly in nvidia control panel and make sure that the settings in the game are set properly.

wow.PNG.a49334283eedd54ca79ecc9b5d6f0b97.PNG

9 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

There can be multiple reasons. One is that the laptop may be operating the HDMI off the iGPU, most laptops can switch it to the dGPU however.

Another is a crap HDMI, although most HDMI cables can probably handle most resolutions (if under like 4K). 

Another is that Windows (happens to me) may be operating the display at a stupid resolution. I have a 4K TV and sometimes it likes to put it at 600 x 800 to laugh at me. So I have to open up Settings to operate it at 4K, works fine but of course no game I run will operate at 4K with tolerable framerate on a 940MX. Make sure it isn't duplicating the display,  that causes issues for me if the resolutions and refresh rate is different.

Your laptop as a 2060 if I'm not mistaken, and the display is what, a 1080p display? No reason it shouldn't drive the display at 1080P 

How do I switch the laptop from iGPU to dGPU, I want to check if that's what's causing the problem.

2 minutes ago, taylor583 said:

How do I switch the laptop from iGPU to dGPU, I want to check if that's what's causing the problem.

Pretty sure most laptops actually uses the iGPU for non-intensive apps automatically. I think you could force to use the dGPU by 

Go into the Nvidia control panel
Go to Manage 3D Settings
Inside global settings, scroll down to power mode and change it to performance.
Apply changes.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

13 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

Another is that Windows (happens to me) may be operating the display at a stupid resolution. I have a 4K TV and sometimes it likes to put it at 600 x 800 to laugh at me. So I have to open up Settings to operate it at 4K, works fine but of course no game I run will operate at 4K with tolerable framerate on a 940MX. Make sure it isnt duplicating the display,  that causes issues for me if the resolutions and refresh rate is different.

Your laptop as a 2060 if Im not mistaken, and the display is what, a 1080p display? No reason it shouldn't drive the display at 1080P 

Nevermind, I checked and my laptop is running the dGPU, I guess the problem is still a mystery lol

define "looks like crap"

if you mean sharpness... 1080p scaled up to 24 inch when you're used to it on 15 inch will make it look blurry

but also make sure you're running at the right resolution on the monitor to begin with

if you mean smoothness, u can check refresh rate

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

define "looks like crap"

if you mean sharpness... 1080p scaled up to 24 inch when you're used to it on 15 inch will make it look blurry

but also make sure you're running at the right resolution on the monitor to begin with

if you mean smoothness, u can check refresh rate

Crap meaning I open up a game, rocket league for example, the image looks soft and zagged lines around the car and there aren't any details. It doesn't look like what a 2060 video card should be doing on high quality settings.

Also when I press the buttons on the monitor to change settings it says its running 60hertz but in the settings I put it as 144hertz. But I don't know if that's 144hertz for my laptop or not because in the laptop settings its not recognizing another display. I'm all types of confused. 

Just now, taylor583 said:

the image looks soft and zagged lines around the car and there aren't any details.

yeap, you're too used to your 1080p on your laptop's smaller screen that when it's blown up to 24 inch it becomes blurry looking

1 minute ago, taylor583 said:

Also when I press the buttons on the monitor to change settings it says its running 60hertz but in the settings I put it as 144hertz. But I don't know if that's 144hertz for my laptop or not because in the laptop settings its not recognizing another display. I'm all types of confused

screen cap/photo?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately