Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SFP+ 10GBE compatibility with AMD workstation

Hello.

I work at a gaming center and we have an AMD workstation that broadcasts all the games and the OS using CCBoot software to 65PCs (soon upgrading to 200 PCs)

We are using 4gbps teaming at the moment and we want to upgrade that to 20gbps using SFP+, because each PC require 40GB to boot up the OS.

My question is, does SFP+ NICs work with AMD setup? The only thing I found online is that Intel SFP+ NIC only work with Intel setup.

Note: we are using a workstation and not a balde server (AKA Rack server) and our firewall is Fortigate 200E supports up to 40gbps, and our switches do not support 10gbps but we are changing the switches if we were able to install and run the SFP+ NIC

I have use da agood amount of 10gbe sfp+ nics and they all worked fine on intel and amd boards fine.

INtel nics work fine on amd motherboards, there is no isue there. 

18 minutes ago, Fye said:

and our switches do not support 10gbps but we are changing the switches if we were able to install and run the SFP+ NIC

What swith do you have in mind? What do you need from the swtich?

19 minutes ago, Fye said:

our firewall is Fortigate 200E supports

Your not putting the boot through the firewall right? Just have it switch on l2, no reason to have the firewall deal with thie traffic, so the firewalls bandwidth won't matter at all here.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have use da agood amount of 10gbe sfp+ nics and they all worked fine on intel and amd boards fine.

INtel nics work fine on amd motherboards, there is no isue there. 

What swith do you have in mind? What do you need from the swtich?

Your not putting the boot through the firewall right? Just have it switch on l2, no reason to have the firewall deal with thie traffic, so the firewalls bandwidth won't matter at all here.

That's really good to know thank you.

So basically all of our PCs do not have a local drive, we are using a diskless system, where the workstation (running on Windows server 2016) has a VHD image of Windows 10. Using a software we send all the data from the workstation to all the PCs (PXE Boot ROM) in the center the data are at follows, Windows 10 (35GB) and games.

Basically what we are trying to do is to reduce the loading time of the image, because if we have 200 PCs that 35GB×200= 7TB of data just to boot up the whole place, so basically the setup is Worstation >Firewall>Switches>PCs

10 hours ago, Fye said:

That's really good to know thank you.

So basically all of our PCs do not have a local drive, we are using a diskless system, where the workstation (running on Windows server 2016) has a VHD image of Windows 10. Using a software we send all the data from the workstation to all the PCs (PXE Boot ROM) in the center the data are at follows, Windows 10 (35GB) and games.

Basically what we are trying to do is to reduce the loading time of the image, because if we have 200 PCs that 35GB×200= 7TB of data just to boot up the whole place, so basically the setup is Worstation >Firewall>Switches>PCs

Do you have dedup setup on the server, that could save you a lot of disk space on the server.

Why is this traffic going though the firewall, just put it on the same l2, and have on ly the switch process it, that will be much faster, and cheaper. 

What switch do you plan on getting.

Your AMD workstations should support any NIC you please regardless of SFP, SFP+ XFP, RJ45, as long as it has a compatible internal interface (PCI, PCI-Express) and your target OS has drivers for said NIC, you should be fine.

The part of this question, and I think the root of your question that I ponder.  Does AMD support PXE boot?  Usually that boot rom is in teh NIC for PXE situations.  Ive never seen it done with AMD though, which then begs teh question.  It should work, but does it?

13 hours ago, eece_ret said:

Your AMD workstations should support any NIC you please regardless of SFP, SFP+ XFP, RJ45, as long as it has a compatible internal interface (PCI, PCI-Express) and your target OS has drivers for said NIC, you should be fine.

The part of this question, and I think the root of your question that I ponder.  Does AMD support PXE boot?  Usually that boot rom is in teh NIC for PXE situations.  Ive never seen it done with AMD though, which then begs teh question.  It should work, but does it?

We use Intel setup for our client PCs, so im not sure if i can answer your question correctly, but at this time everything is running smoothly on 65 intel setups and 1 AMD workstation regarding PXE boot.