Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this a good overclock - Ryzen 5 3600 4.2GHz at 1.18V

I'm using the unofficial Ryzen Tuner program that automatically stress tests the CPU and gives it the best speed based on its potential.

 

Wth the results I am able to hit 4.2GHz at 1.18V.

 

Is this a good OC?

 

 

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, why not, but check also this oc in some real task and compare it to stock settings. It may be anything that uses all cores to the max and need time to complete task (encoding small video for example).

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah. 

My CCD1 on the 3900X can only do 4.075Gz at 1.25V :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any overclock is a good overclock, so long as it starts up.

 

If you're asking whether it's safe for long term use, that's also probably okay.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

yeah. 

My CCD1 on the 3900X can only do 4.075Gz at 1.25V :(

With the CRT program or manual OC?

 

Mine can do 1.09V at 4GHz in BIOS.

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

With the CRT program or manual OC?

 

both

 

CCD0 can do 300MHz more at the same voltage

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WereCat said:

both

 

CCD0 can do 300MHz more at the same voltage

would pushing it to 4.4 be safe if i can maintain 1.25 or below on CCX?

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

would pushing it to 4.4 be safe if i can maintain 1.25 or below on CCX?

Yes, clocks won't hurt you at all unless you bump up voltage a lot.

 

Up to 1.3V should be perfectly safe for 24/7 providing you have a capable cooling. But honestly, Ryzen does not really scale that well above 1.25V so I would just try up to 1.275V  unless you got a really good sample then I would maybe go higher just to see how much clokspeed I can squeeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, clocks won't hurt you at all unless you bump up voltage a lot.

 

Up to 1.3V should be perfectly safe for 24/7 providing you have a capable cooling. But honestly, Ryzen does not really scale that well above 1.25V so I would just try up to 1.275V  unless you got a really good sample then I would maybe go higher just to see how much clokspeed I can squeeze.

Apparently with Prime95 and Small FT my current voltage stops at 1.275/1.3V.

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, clocks won't hurt you at all unless you bump up voltage a lot.

 

Up to 1.3V should be perfectly safe for 24/7 providing you have a capable cooling. But honestly, Ryzen does not really scale that well above 1.25V so I would just try up to 1.275V  unless you got a really good sample then I would maybe go higher just to see how much clokspeed I can squeeze.

how do you save the results to use as a profile in CRT? I dont see an  option to do so after tests complete.

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

how do you save the results to use as a profile in CRT? I dont see an  option to do so after tests complete.

I remember there appeared an option to save the profile after the test was done. I don't use it so can't double check now, sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I remember there appeared an option to save the profile after the test was done. I don't use it so can't double check now, sorry.

so ur on manual oc atm?

 

1.25v at 4075?

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

so ur on manual oc atm?

 

1.25v at 4075?

I don't run any OC besides my DRAM and FCLK right now. My CPU is better at stock than overclocked because by OCing I gain a bit of multi-threaded performance but I lose a ton of single-threaded one which I value more for what I do most often.

My CPU boosts by itself to 4.025GHz at max load all cores and up to 4.6GHz when doing single-threaded tasks. Not worth it to be locked at 4.075GHz all core with OC  without being able to boost to 4.6GHz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I don't run any OC besides my DRAM and FCLK right now. My CPU is better at stock than overclocked because by OCing I gain a bit of multi-threaded performance but I lose a ton of single-threaded one which I value more for what I do most often.

My CPU boosts by itself to 4.025GHz at max load all cores and up to 4.6GHz when doing single-threaded tasks. Not worth it to be locked at 4.075GHz all core with OC  without being able to boost to 4.6GHz.

im only doing it because my VRMs have HORRIBLE coil whine with PBO/Turbo boost enabled, the constant fluctuation in cpu voltages makes the board whine really loud.

 

at static voltage the whine goes away. I've already gone through two of these boards with the same issue :/

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rogerzz said:

im only doing it because my VRMs have HORRIBLE coil whine with PBO/Turbo boost enabled, the constant fluctuation in cpu voltages makes the board whine really loud.

 

at static voltage the whine goes away. I've already gone through two of these boards with the same issue :/

which board?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

But honestly, Ryzen does not really scale that well above 1.25V so I would just try up to 1.275V 

Yeah I wouldn't go above 1.275V! I've got 1.275V on my OC, and the Vdroop will bring it down to 1.2V under P95 lol

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz, MAG B550 Tomahawk, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, NZXT H510

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WereCat said:

which board?

Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite.

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rogerzz said:

Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite.

Hmm, thats a good board. You sure its the board doing the coil whine and not PSU?

If you are sure the board its the coil whine source, maybe try changing the VRM switching frequency if its an option in the BIOS.

 

Higher switching frequency -> better OC potential and stability -> but higher heat output and risk of coil whine

Lower switching frequency -> lower OC potential and stability -> lesser heat output and lower risk of coil whine

 

Usually most boards use around 300k Hz switching frequency by default and depending on what VRM the board has it can go up to 500k Hz or even higher.

Some boards use adaptive switching frequency so if it changes from 300k under low load to 500k during load it may cause coil whine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Hmm, thats a good board. You sure its the board doing the coil whine and not PSU?

If you are sure the board its the coil whine source, maybe try changing the VRM switching frequency if its an option in the BIOS.

 

Higher switching frequency -> better OC potential and stability -> but higher heat output and risk of coil whine

Lower switching frequency -> lower OC potential and stability -> lesser heat output and lower risk of coil whine

 

Usually most boards use around 300k Hz switching frequency by default and depending on what VRM the board has it can go up to 500k Hz or even higher.

Some boards use adaptive switching frequency so if it changes from 300k under low load to 500k during load it may cause coil whine.

Yes ive already tried a different PSU, currently using Corsair RMx 650 and tested again with EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550.

 

The coil whine is audible at idle very loud, but goes away under 100% load as the voltage is static at that point.

 

What option am i looking for in BIOS and what should i set it as?

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rogerzz said:

Yes ive already tried a different PSU, currently using Corsair RMx 650 and tested again with EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550.

 

The coil whine is audible at idle very loud, but goes away under 100% load as the voltage is static at that point.

 

What option am i looking for in BIOS and what should i set it as?

I have an ASUS board. It's literaly called VRM Switching Frequency in my BIOS.

 

I would just try anything from 300k to 500k.

 

In my BIOS its located in Power settings. Not sure how Gigabyte BIOS is laid out, I Gigabyte long time ago on Z87 platform last time :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have an ASUS board. It's literaly called VRM Switching Frequency in my BIOS.

 

I would just try anything from 300k to 500k.

 

In my BIOS its located in Power settings. Not sure how Gigabyte BIOS is laid out, I Gigabyte long time ago on Z87 platform last time :D 

i cant find such setting :/

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rogerzz said:

i cant find such setting :/

maybe its not there, not all boards have that option in the BIOS

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

here?

image.thumb.png.5bd8c54a71f3236e9033bccb39eb0357.png

theres only a load line calibration setting

Ryzen 5 3600 4.0GHz 1.1V | 16GB @ 3600MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair RMx 650W | Fractal Meshify C

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×