High end GPU not performing up to it - Advices on possible upgrades?

thiagodaz

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to say that english is not my main language, so I apologize in advance for some misunderstandings that may occur. Also, I do not have a good knowledge about hardwares, computers, updates, and etc, but I will try my best to give everyone all the information needed.

PC Specs:

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bits Version 10.0.19041 Build 1904 (Up to date, checked on Windows Update)

GPU - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 Galax 1-Click

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 R2

Processor - AMD FX 8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3300 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors

PSU - Corsair TX 750

RAM - 20GB

SSD - Kingston A400 480GB

BIOS* Version/Date - Award Software International, Inc. F1, 08-Nov-17

*I read the topic "Read before asking for help" and tried my hardest to check if there was any BIOS updates but could not find anything about it.

I bought my computer in 2019, and recently felt like upgrading it, so I bought the RTX 2060 alongside the Corsair TX 750 (I had a GTX 1050 Ti and a CX450). Also, before I bought the new GPU and PSU, my OS and SSD corrupted so I had to buy another SSD and format my computer. First game I tried was Forza Horizon 4, and I noticed that something was not right. No matter which settings were applied (ultra, high, medium, low), the game always was stuck on 55-70 FPS and 40% GPU/80-100% CPU usage (I read alot of posts of people using the same GPU and got 95+ FPS on ultra).

FH4 Benchmark

As I am not playing FH4 right now to search for some help to run it smoothly, I was playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010!) and today I got 20 FPS in-game. I saw that I had a Windows Update to do, and after updating it and restarting my computer, I tried again and now have 50ish-60 FPS (on a 2010 game, without motion blur/high detailing and a RTX 2060).

NFS HP   MSI Afterburner

My first question is if there is anything I can do to optimize these results without having to replace every single one of my specs? Things that I have tried and had no success: Changed some configurations in NVIDIA Control Panel (3D settings), made my computer use maximum power always, tried tweaking some overclock configurations with MSI Afterburner (managed to get extra 90 fps on Overwatch, but after a bit my computer froze and had to restart it. FYI, I am running Overwatch on low settings and 90-110 FPS).

As a result of days of google search, benchmark testing and forums reading, I am aware there is a 99% chance that I need to buy a better processor and this is a case of CPU bottleneck. The main reason of why I'm writting this post is because I already invested a lot of money on this computer, and I feel the urgency to know if I can get this fixed with only replacing the processor or I will need to buy another Motherboard and coolers alongside the processor.

With this being said, I am looking to buy the Ryzen 5 3600X.Will this processor fix "everything"? If there is a need to replace the other specs, can someone suggest me? The idea of having a really good GPU and knowing she is underperforming makes me feel like I wasted a lot of money.

Thanks! I am really sorry about the size of this post, like I said, english is not my main language so I had difficulty writing it.

You bought a amd fx cpu in 2019? Those cpu's were already bad when they launched in 2012. They can barely even reach 60fps in games today.

You will need a new cpu, motherboard and ram to get anything better.

Just now, jaslion said:

You bought a amd fx cpu in 2019? Those cpu's were already bad when they launched in 2012. They can barely even reach 60fps in games today.

You will need a new cpu, motherboard and ram to get anything better.

It was pre-built, and only now I know that this processor sucks. I really blame my lack of knowledge for this...

Can you suggest me some models? And why do I need more ram? 20 GB is not enough?

3 minutes ago, thiagodaz said:

It was pre-built, and only now I know that this processor sucks. I really blame my lack of knowledge for this...

Can you suggest me some models? And why do I need more ram? 20 GB is not enough?

your gonna need new ram as all new cpus use ddr4, and that cpu uses ddr3, so your current ram isn't compatible

9 minutes ago, thiagodaz said:

And why do I need more ram? 20 GB is not enough?

You don't need more RAM, you need new RAM. The CPU you have now runs on DDR3 ram, but any new processor runs on DDR4 ram. Also 16GB is plenty (2x 8GB sticks).

As for what CPU: Look for Ryzen 1600AF (the af version is important), Ryzen 2600, Ryzen 3100, Ryzen 3300x or Ryzen 3600. Sadly because of Covid pricing of these can be really weird (like the 3300x being more expensive than the 3600 altho it shouldn't be) so watch out for that. Most of these parts should be around $100-$120. The 3600 is a bit more expensive but it's also the fastest one of these.

5 minutes ago, Medicate said:

You don't need more RAM, you need new RAM. The CPU you have now runs on DDR3 ram, but any new processor runs on DDR4 ram. Also 16GB is plenty (2x 8GB sticks).

As for what CPU: Look for Ryzen 1600AF (the af version is important), Ryzen 2600, Ryzen 3300x or Ryzen 3600 and get whatever is cheapest of these options. Sadly because of Covid pricing of these can be really weird (like the 3300x being more expensive than the 3600 altho it shouldn't be) so watch out for that.

Thanks for the informative reply! I for sure will be checking out those CPU's! Do you know if I have to upgrade the motherboard aswell?

And yeah, the prices really do suck now, this is why I'm reluctant to upgrading it... but I already started doing so, and now I think I have to finish it

1 minute ago, thiagodaz said:

Thanks for the informative reply! I for sure will be checking out those CPU's! Do you know if I have to upgrade the motherboard aswell?

yup, you will need a am4 motherboard to youse those cpus.

Look at using pc part picker to pick compatible parts and to ensure there won't be any issues with your current parts.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yup, you will need a am4 motherboard to youse those cpus.

Look at using pc part picker to pick compatible parts and to ensure there won't be any issues with your current parts.

Thanks!

Alright, so, I don't know how to close this topic as solved because I'm new to this site but I would like to thank everyone that answered. It helped me out, I did not knew that my computer was built like trash lol. But now I know what to look for and how to solve.

Thanks everyone.

15 hours ago, thiagodaz said:

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to say that english is not my main language, so I apologize in advance for some misunderstandings that may occur. Also, I do not have a good knowledge about hardwares, computers, updates, and etc, but I will try my best to give everyone all the information needed.

PC Specs:

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bits Version 10.0.19041 Build 1904 (Up to date, checked on Windows Update)

GPU - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 Galax 1-Click

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 R2

Processor - AMD FX 8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3300 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors

PSU - Corsair TX 750

RAM - 20GB

SSD - Kingston A400 480GB

BIOS* Version/Date - Award Software International, Inc. F1, 08-Nov-17

*I read the topic "Read before asking for help" and tried my hardest to check if there was any BIOS updates but could not find anything about it.

I bought my computer in 2019, and recently felt like upgrading it, so I bought the RTX 2060 alongside the Corsair TX 750 (I had a GTX 1050 Ti and a CX450). Also, before I bought the new GPU and PSU, my OS and SSD corrupted so I had to buy another SSD and format my computer. First game I tried was Forza Horizon 4, and I noticed that something was not right. No matter which settings were applied (ultra, high, medium, low), the game always was stuck on 55-70 FPS and 40% GPU/80-100% CPU usage (I read alot of posts of people using the same GPU and got 95+ FPS on ultra).

FH4 Benchmark

As I am not playing FH4 right now to search for some help to run it smoothly, I was playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010!) and today I got 20 FPS in-game. I saw that I had a Windows Update to do, and after updating it and restarting my computer, I tried again and now have 50ish-60 FPS (on a 2010 game, without motion blur/high detailing and a RTX 2060).

NFS HP   MSI Afterburner

My first question is if there is anything I can do to optimize these results without having to replace every single one of my specs? Things that I have tried and had no success: Changed some configurations in NVIDIA Control Panel (3D settings), made my computer use maximum power always, tried tweaking some overclock configurations with MSI Afterburner (managed to get extra 90 fps on Overwatch, but after a bit my computer froze and had to restart it. FYI, I am running Overwatch on low settings and 90-110 FPS).

As a result of days of google search, benchmark testing and forums reading, I am aware there is a 99% chance that I need to buy a better processor and this is a case of CPU bottleneck. The main reason of why I'm writting this post is because I already invested a lot of money on this computer, and I feel the urgency to know if I can get this fixed with only replacing the processor or I will need to buy another Motherboard and coolers alongside the processor.

With this being said, I am looking to buy the Ryzen 5 3600X.Will this processor fix "everything"? If there is a need to replace the other specs, can someone suggest me? The idea of having a really good GPU and knowing she is underperforming makes me feel like I wasted a lot of money.

Thanks! I am really sorry about the size of this post, like I said, english is not my main language so I had difficulty writing it.

Well if you had a better motherboard I would recommend you overclock you cpu to around 4.5ghz, that would usually fix your bottleneck since your cpu is only at 3.3ghz, but your motherboard is bad so you will have to do a full system upgrade which means cpu, motherboard and ram to gain more performance. Or if your cheap you could always starp on a fan and put a heatsink on those vrms and try to overclock. If you are overclocking try Fsb or north bridge overclocking