Why is it every case these days seems to come with a tempered glass side panel?

WillOfTheLand
44 minutes ago, ausham said:

safety glass is more then just tempered glass, its two sheets of tempered glass glued together. like a windshield

Tempered glass is also referred to as “toughened” or “fully temperedglass. It is heat-treated safety glass with a minimum surface compression of 10,000 psi or a minimum edge compression of 9,700 psi. ... When broken, tempered glass shatters into small, relatively harmless pieces. (https://bendheim.com/faq/what-is-tempered-glass/)

https://glassdoctor.com/expert-tips/all-about-glass-repair/laminated-vs-tempered-glass

Its looking to me what most people call safety glass is laminated glass. both laminated and tempered are a type of safety glass. In that safety glass is glass that is safer when dealing with breakage/failure when compared to traditional glass panels. As such, we are both correct.

42 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

Tempered glass is also referred to as “toughened” or “fully temperedglass. It is heat-treated safety glass with a minimum surface compression of 10,000 psi or a minimum edge compression of 9,700 psi. ... When broken, tempered glass shatters into small, relatively harmless pieces. (https://bendheim.com/faq/what-is-tempered-glass/)

https://glassdoctor.com/expert-tips/all-about-glass-repair/laminated-vs-tempered-glass

Its looking to me what most people call safety glass is laminated glass. both laminated and tempered are a type of safety glass. In that safety glass is glass that is safer when dealing with breakage/failure when compared to traditional glass panels. As such, we are both correct.

Here is the USA tempered laminated glass is safety glass.

1 hour ago, ausham said:

safety glass is more then just tempered glass, its two sheets of tempered glass glued together. like a windshield

2 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

safety glass is a form of tempered glass. tempered glass is used in many demanding areas. table tops, automotive, large windows, aquariums My 55 gallon has a tempered glass bottom. When tempered glass breaks it actually breaks into small relatively NOT sharp pieces, non-tempered glass is what will shatter into jagged daggers.

3 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

safety glass is tempered glass. Unless you mean glass with a film applied to create a slightly stronger surface.

18 minutes ago, ausham said:

Here is the USA laminated and tempered is safety glass.

I literally said two times that safety glass was(a type of) tempered glass..

1 hour ago, ausham said:

Here is the USA tempered laminated glass is safety glass.

Here in Germany safety glass is glass that doesn't have sharp edges when splittered, which I always assumed these 'tempered' glass panels are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

Terminology issue.  Safety glass is a technical term.

Tempered glass is different than safety glass.  Safety glass has a goo layer between two sheets of glass.  Tempered glass is as you describe.  There is such a thing as tempered safety glass which is what is used in car windshields.  There is also straight safety glass.  Tempered glass is often used for safety stuff because it’s a lot cheaper than safety glass.  There’s a downside to tempered glass.  It always eventually explodes.  It stores up damage until just one little tap will make the whole thing just disintegrate.  It often takes a while.  Sometimes a very long while, depending on how much handling it gets.  But it always eventually goes. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Safety glass doesn't necessarily consist of several 'sheets'. There are different methods. 

What they all have in common is that they're considered 'safe'

Toughened glass is processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass.[4] Tempering, by design, creates balanced internal stresses which causes the glass sheet, when broken, to crumble into small granular chunks of similar size and shape instead of splintering into random, jagged shards. The granular chunks are less likely to cause injury.

As a result of its safety and strength, tempered glass is used in a variety of demanding applications, including passenger vehicle windows, shower doors, architectural glass doors and tables, refrigerator trays, as a component of bulletproof glass, for diving masks, and various types of plates and cookware. In the United States, since 1977 Federal law has required safety glass located within doors and tub and shower enclosures

Tempered, ehhh! I mean so this is a whole lot of nothing, as I suspected. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Safety glass doesn't necessarily consist of several 'sheets'. There are different methods. 

What they all have in common is that they're considered 'safe'

Tempered, ehhh! I mean so this is a whole lot of nothing, as I suspected. 

As I said, a definition of terms issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Because fragile glass funi and cool or something like that. 

Personally was never into that or even plastic side panels. Just gimme something that works and won't shatter because I looked at it funny.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

acrylic is still popular on cheaper cases, otherwise there are always cases without transparent sides.

it's just the trend today

it's sadly been a trend for the like last year and a half

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

-> Moved to Cases and Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The mesh c has a non glas side version.

Only the Define C came with a solid side panel, acrylic window and Tempered glass side panel options. The Meshify C only has solid Side panel and Tempered glass options (with two different tint levels) but  no acrylic. 

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-c/black/

(The window option was discontinued; it no longer appears on their website but there are still references to it)

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-c-tempered-glass/black/

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c/black/

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c-dark-tempered-glass/black-tgd/ (original launch tint)

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c-tempered-glass/black/ (Updated tint)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 10/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, WillOfTheLand said:

It's not that I have a hate on for clear side panels, but the last case I ordered came with a dent in it and a hole in the box from shipping, I fear to think of what happens to some of these cases with glass side panels.

It's been probably 15 years (give or take) since I first saw a case with a clear side panel (it was a spiderman case with a web cutout on the side panel) and what I'm pretty sure was plexiglass, whatever happened to using something more durable than, well, glass?

I don't have any tempered glass cases, in any of my 3 PCs. ;)

Won't buy one either.

All 3 are clear windowed.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.