Assassin's Creed?

mwagen

I played the first Assassin's Creed when it came out and thought it was a decent game, but never bothered with the ensuing games. They're all on sale for a pretty good discount on Steam right now and I'm tempted to delve back in. I kinda want to just get Assassin's Creed II so I can play them in order and not miss out on any story, but I'd like suggestions on if I should get any of the more recent games. 

1 minute ago, mwagen said:

I played the first Assassin's Creed when it came out and thought it was a decent game, but never bothered with the ensuing games. They're all on sale for a pretty good discount on Steam right now and I'm tempted to delve back in. I kinda want to just get Assassin's Creed II so I can play them in order and not miss out on any story, but I'd like suggestions on if I should get any of the more recent games. 

I would recommend buy games in series to collect  them and experience them. If you are not a collector and want to experience graphics and stuff, you can buy latest titles.

There is no entwining story between all of them. Pretty sure they're all standalone with nothing connecting so you can play them as you desire. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

There is no entwining story between all of them. Pretty sure they're all standalone with nothing connecting so you can play them as you desire. 

But the first few parts are connected. I agree that the latest ones are standalone.

They are connected until Blackflag iirc. From there you can cherry pick them pretty much based on preference.

The latest ones play exactly the same (Origins and Odyssey are basically the same), don't know about Valhalla tho.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

I like the AC3, Black Flag, Rogue trilogy the most. But Black Flag is the best of the series, IMO. The new ones don't feel like AC at all and I don't care for them.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 10/19/2020 at 12:29 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, and Revelations are actually the same story. Revelations talks a lot about the original Assassin's Creed game with some missions with the original character. It actually "reveals" some parts of his story and his death.

The only thing I hate about Assassin's Creed is its editor and their PC client and customer support. They are all terrible.

The games themselves are pretty good but you might encounter a flew glitches here and there and a terrible AI, especially in the ones released in the PS3 era.

Seems like ACII and black flag are well-loved and it'd be nice to get the whole sci-fi story arc of the first few games, but they're so old now... I'm mainly tempted by Origins and Odyssey because that period in history is really interesting to me and the graphics look amazing, however that's pretty much the only reason I'm interested in them. After watching a few reviews and rankings of all the AC games the gameplay, writing, and acting look questionable. I just want to escape back in time for a while, not spending thirty hours on repetitive missions, level grinding, loot collecting, and watching lame cut scenes. Still, the historical settings look so cool...

12 hours ago, mwagen said:

I'm mainly tempted by Origins and Odyssey

The gameplay is ok, it's just not stealthy as other ACs. Assassination is nerfed, there is no incentive to plan a stealth attack.

You can pretty much storm forts head on even on the highest difficulty once you've mastered the parry (which is not challenging by itself).

The last "true" AC was probably Unity, maybe Syndicate. Afterwards the focus shifted from assassination to pure combat.

It all depends on what you liked about the first one. They're all good games, but they shine in different ways.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

34 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

The gameplay is ok, it's just not stealthy as other ACs. Assassination is nerfed, there is no incentive to plan a stealth attack.

You can pretty much storm forts head on even on the highest difficulty once you've mastered the parry (which is not challenging by itself).

The last "true" AC was probably Unity, maybe Syndicate. Afterwards the focus shifted from assassination to pure combat.

It all depends on what you liked about the first one. They're all good games, but they shine in different ways.

They made the franchise where assassination and stealth was a key part where people killed with discretion into a game where brute force became the main game point.
I'm not saying combat is bad but the whole Assassin thing kinda slipped away.

Odysse, Awesome Game. One of Ubisoft´s best ever.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Assassins creed 2 is imo the best.
Brother hood & revelations are okay.

The rest I more or less kinda skipped or tried playing.
Black flag seemed cool.

Rogue is considered underrated.

Well, I ended up impulse buying Origins. Figured it's not likely to be as cheap again for a while and the graphics and the setting looked too irresistible. Really considered getting the first "act" of games up to Black Flag but meh. If Origins is compelling enough maybe I'll venture back to that story arc if they ever go on sale for super cheap again.

I played 2 and I liked it much despite of the old graphics.

The Black flag was really bad and pointless

And origins was actually good! The dlc on the other hand was just a boring way to extract more money from the users. 

I aywd them by subscribing for 1 month to uplay from ubisoft

13 hours ago, mwagen said:

Well, I ended up impulse buying Origins. Figured it's not likely to be as cheap again for a while and the graphics and the setting looked too irresistible. Really considered getting the first "act" of games up to Black Flag but meh. If Origins is compelling enough maybe I'll venture back to that story arc if they ever go on sale for super cheap again.

AC II and AC Brotherhood are both amazing games with great story. If they go on a good sale for Black Friday I highly recommend both. Also Ubisoft gives a lot of the games away. I have gotten II, III, Black Flag, and AC Unity free from them at various times they were giving the games away (in addition to a lot of other Ubisoft games). The Santiago Santiago channel on youtube that does a lot of videos about performance for new games on different hardware will usually tell you whenever someone is giving a game away free, so it's worth a subscription IMO.

I heard Origins is pretty different from the early games, though haven't played it. If you liked the first AC, AC II and Brotherhood are IMO night and day better while still feeling like they're in the same universe and sharing a lot of the feel of the game in common. The first AC is one of the most repetitive games I have ever played, but you could see the seeds of a great game in it. I think those seeds bloomed in AC II and AC Brotherhood.

If you thought AC was a decent game then you should definetely try the rest, 2 and brotherhood are my favorite, they tone down the difficulty by alot, thats my only problem. Plus the story and soundtrack are fantastic imho.