I need help with my RAM :(

JTsmooth

Hi its my 1st time posting to a forum site to seek help, I'm 22 years old from the philippines and I've really enjoyed watching LTT videos on youtube and i came across the term overclocking the ram because i learned that it wasn't running on it advertised speed, so i tried the XMP on my BIOS then after that I i think i have killed my ram or idk im not really sure what happened but it used to be 24gbs available on my task manager but now it only says 16gb available and 8gb reserved memory. My ramsticks doesnt match as well I bought the my 2nd ramstick just recently and its 16gb 2400mhz DDR4 from Team Group and the ram that doesnt seem to be working anymore is 8gb 2132mhz DDR4. On my defense i didn't know that it runs at 2132 mhz because it says on the ramstick sticker itself that it is 2400mhz and due to corona virus i couldnt visit the same store that I went and bought my original ramstick(8gb Gskill DDR4). So i went and downloaded CPU-Z and discovered that they ran at different timings "CAS#Latency" but it worked perfectly fine when i didn't touch the XMP settings, all hell broke loose when i played with it, I'm just wondering if maybe i can do something about this and maybe put things back to where they used to be which is get my RAM back at 24gbs avail instead of having an 8gb reserved indicated on my task manager. Thanks for the help in advance and sorry for the cringe worthy post but i really need help :( 

Howdy and welcome :)

I hear with rams you can hypnotize them by rolling them around on their fannies.  Sheep are apparently surprisingly easy to hack. 

to attempt to say something actually useful though, do you maybe have an Intel cpu or an AMD apu?  Reserved memory is often for the on die gpu. The thing apparently wants 8gb for its video memory (kind of a lot.  It’s more often 6gb or less.  Big monitor?) 

I am getting confused by this 24gbs vs 16gb.  Gbs is gigabytes(or gigabits?)a second and is a speed, whereas 16gb is a size.  24gb is not a common size for dual channel memory machines because that’s 3 sticks of 8gb and would make a dual channel machine run single channel (slow) would work great in a triple channel machine but afaik no one has done a triple channel machine in a very long time. I think it was only AMD. 

Perhaps it would be best if you listed your hardware by piece so we could just look everything up and figure it all out.  If it’s a prebuilt the make and model will do.  If it’s homebuilt we’d need cpu, mobo, (so I can figure out this single/dual/triple channel thing) what you have for memory, possibly gpu if you got one to figure out this reserved memory thing, if you’re feeling charitable PSU (because someone will want to tell you if you need a bigger or better one.  They will probably be right) 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks for the reply man! I'm so sorry I am very new to this. So the list of my hardware is:

MOBO: Asus Strix B350F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: Asus GTX 1060 Dual 6GB

Monitor: ASUS VC239H

Ok so what I did was, when I first bought my computer I had to settle for an 8GB ram stick because the budget was kinda tight so i thought I could cheap out on the ram since I'm only interested at playing Dota 2 at that time (big mistake). So i decided that I wanted to upgrade my ram because it was kind of annoying that my pc is having trouble running multiple applications at the same time and is struggling to do so. So i bought another ram for upgrade which is the 16GB 2400mhz by Team Group and I couldn't buy the same ram that I bought because I couldn't go to the store where I bought my pc and only had the opportunity to buy the ram when my family went to the mall and the only available ram there that matches the speed of my current ram is the 16GB one.

I'm not sure if its Gigabytes or Gigabit it only says GB on my task manager its probably gigabytes im so sorry i dont know how to identify that

:( thanks for the reply man i really appreciate it 

2 minutes ago, JTsmooth said:

Thanks for the reply man! I'm so sorry I am very new to this. So the list of my hardware is:

MOBO: Asus Strix B350F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: Asus GTX 1060 Dual 6GB

Monitor: ASUS VC239H

Ok so what I did was, when I first bought my computer I had to settle for an 8GB ram stick because the budget was kinda tight so i thought I could cheap out on the ram since I'm only interested at playing Dota 2 at that time (big mistake). So i decided that I wanted to upgrade my ram because it was kind of annoying that my pc is having trouble running multiple applications at the same time and is struggling to do so. So i bought another ram for upgrade which is the 16GB 2400mhz by Team Group and I couldn't buy the same ram that I bought because I couldn't go to the store where I bought my pc and only had the opportunity to buy the ram when my family went to the mall and the only available ram there that matches the speed of my current ram is the 16GB one.

I'm not sure if its Gigabytes or Gigabit it only says GB on my task manager its probably gigabytes im so sorry i dont know how to identify that

:( thanks for the reply man i really appreciate it 

PSU: Corsair CX 550M 80+ bronze modular

RAM: G SKILL Tredent RGB 8GB 2400mhz(?)

Team Group 16GB 2400mhz

it used to just say 24GB of ram available but when I started to adjust the ram speeds through the XMP this happened

Untitled.jpg

In my experience XMP is extremely temperamental. I've never heard of it killing ram though. I think you should go into the bios and factory reset it, or at least reverse all XMP settings, then shutdown the system and unplug it and reseat the memory (just pop it out, make sure there's no dust in the slots, and put them back in). Then see if the memory is being recognized. For what it's worth, you do only need 16 GB, or even 8 GB, for a decent rig to play dota and even stream or edit. 

If that works, then manually enter the speed for the memory instead of using XMP. If there's an option, also set the CAS latency to be correct and voltage (all info should be on a sticker on the side of the memory). If the motherboard has options for automatically adjusting CAS and voltage, then use those, but definitely set the speed manually.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

30 minutes ago, JTsmooth said:

PSU: Corsair CX 550M 80+ bronze modular

RAM: G SKILL Tredent RGB 8GB 2400mhz(?)

Team Group 16GB 2400mhz

I don’t think anyone will give you guff about your PSU.  It’s usable. 

so 1 16gb stick and 1 8gb stick. Ugh.  I don’t know a lot about 16gb memory sticks. I know that they doubled stick size with a sort of a trick, and the result is they can be dual channel all by themselves (but aren’t always) and I’m not sure what that means.  I can tell you what may have happened, which is the old 8gb and the new 16gb made dual channel memory as long as the 8gb is locked out (which explains the reserved memory) 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t think anyone will give you guff about your PSU.  It’s usable. 

so 1 16gb stick and 1 8gb stick. Ugh.  I don’t know a lot about 16gb memory sticks. I know that they doubled stick size with a sort of a trick, and the result is they can be dual channel all by themselves (but aren’t always) and I’m not sure what that means.  I can tell you what may have happened, which is the old 8gb and the new 16gb made dual channel memory as long as the 8gb is locked out (which explains the reserved memory) 

makes sense but it used to recognize it as 24GB usable like it just started to recognize that it wasn't the same when i started with the XMP settings. Nevertheless I think i got my answers to my question and this really makes sense. Thanks a lot for taking the time in helping me i really appreciate it :D

41 minutes ago, nightmarevoid said:

In my experience XMP is extremely temperamental. I've never heard of it killing ram though. I think you should go into the bios and factory reset it, or at least reverse all XMP settings, then shutdown the system and unplug it and reseat the memory (just pop it out, make sure there's no dust in the slots, and put them back in). Then see if the memory is being recognized. For what it's worth, you do only need 16 GB, or even 8 GB, for a decent rig to play dota and even stream or edit. 

If that works, then manually enter the speed for the memory instead of using XMP. If there's an option, also set the CAS latency to be correct and voltage (all info should be on a sticker on the side of the memory). If the motherboard has options for automatically adjusting CAS and voltage, then use those, but definitely set the speed manually.

it's DOCP on amd my bad i just got stucked in my head that it was XMP because it was the term used for intel  hehe 😅. I will try manually entering the CAS Latency as indicated in the CPU-z software. Thanks a lot man i appreciate the help :D 

13 minutes ago, JTsmooth said:

makes sense but it used to recognize it as 24GB usable like it just started to recognize that it wasn't the same when i started with the XMP settings. Nevertheless I think i got my answers to my question and this really makes sense. Thanks a lot for taking the time in helping me i really appreciate it :D

For what it’s worth 16gb dual is a lot faster than 24gb single for gaming. If you were getting 24gb dual that would be the same speed of course and you could have 3 or 4 games open at once.  If getting that 24gb means having single channel it’s not worth it for gaming. 

-= Topic moved to Troubleshooting =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topic moved to Troubleshooting =-

I'm sorry about that sir, it's my first time posting in a forum. I'll be more aware next time my bad