A new disaster for adblockers - Nano defender/adblocker sold to dubious developers

williamcll

image.png.b60f816d4c7245ad03a4d34556c2a339.png

Quick note: Ublock origin is still safe to use
Nano adblocker, a famous fork of the popular ublock origin which had added anti-adblocking capabilities was recently sold to a self proclaimed turkish startup, who has since then been making questionable changes to the software and has keep the code closed, a violation of the GPL since ublock origin itself is open source. The extension has since then removed from the google play store and the firefox port has since stopped as well. 

When Nano Defender was launched in 2019, it quickly became a go-to extension to bypass anti-adblocking mechanisms on Internet sites. It used code from uBlock Origin, one of the most prominent content blocking extensions, and users started to install the new extension in Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers. One of the main differentiating factors between Nano Defender and uBlock Origin was that the former supported a reporting option to let the developer know about issues encountered while using the extension.

A port for Firefox was created by another developer to cover all major browsers on the Windows platform. Nano Defender has more than 200,000 users that installed the extension from the Chrome Web Store alone. The developer of the extension revealed on the official GitHub that he decided to sell the extension twelve days ago to two Turkish developers. Community members and Raymond Hill, developer of uBlock Origin, shared their thoughts on the deal and the fact that little information was provided. Gorhill suspected that the new owners main intention was to monetize the extension in one form or another, or do worse with it.

Hill suggested that users uninstall Nano Defender / Nano Adblocker immediately to block data from being submitted to the new owners.

Note that as mentioned in the topic, the firefox port has stopped updating as well.

Source: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/10/16/time-to-remove-nano-adblocker-and-defender-from-your-browsers-except-firefox/

Thoughts: This is certainly worrying, guess I'm back to using the regular UBO once again. It's interesting since the original dev was not expecting this to happen AND he himself still has control over the IE release. I am unsure how this is going to develop. But in the meantime I'm going to stay away from nano.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Never heard of it. Still happy with uBlock Origin.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Shame, I did use it, Nano Defender + Nano Adblock was great, went back to UBlock again.

Great to know that the community acted and mass reported the changes of both extensions to the point the pages are no longer available on the Store.

I'm using Nano Defender to block anti-adblock popups ... hmm this is interesting 🤔

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

10 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Still happy with Adblock plus

adblock plus is good but they take money to allow ads through (been this way for a few years)
best is to run both adblock plus AND ublock origin

11 hours ago, williamcll said:

Quick note: Ublock origin is still safe to use

This is the important bit. The people behind Ublock Origin seem to be in it for ideological reasons, so they're not likely to be interested in attempts at someone buying them off or anything like that. As a sidenote, I've been a happy user of Ublock Origin for years and I pushed my hubby into it as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I use to use uBlock almost religiously, but AdGuard is just so much better. It blocks ads better, it blocks cookie messages better, it blocks annoyances better (especially Youtube's login notification bullshit) without being too aggressive like uBlock that just blocks EVERYTHING even stuff I need or want. Plus AdGuard also has URL click tracking filtering and first/third party cookie expiratioin controls which is nice.

Well, I do use AdGuard though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Fuck ads and fuck abusive cookie windows and fuck popups and fuck all. Google Chrome has gone down the bullshit disabling uBlock Origin and youtube is riddled with all the shitton of ads. Seriously, I can live without using internet and would only be using internet banking and emails so if webbrowsers some day decides to block all adblocks, the choice will be very simple for me: no more browsing. Would use my pc only purely for gaming and nothing else.

All the ads HAS to stop! Ads contains malware too because the ads providers won't do any shit to check their ads.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Now we just need a method to block in-line ads (I'm looking at you, twitch) and we'd be golden.

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

On 10/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, williamcll said:

Nano Defender has more than 200,000 users that installed the extension from the Chrome Web Store alone.

These numbers are tiny for an adblocker. As long as uBlock Origin isn't touched I wouldn't be worried

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I use uBlockOrigins and I used Nano Blocker but now I use Tampermonkey with the "Anti-Adblock killer Reek" script and it works prefectly. 

I used to use Adblock Plus, but I switched to using uBlock Origin, since Adblock Plus wasn't working on Soundcloud anymore. To this day, I'm rather satisfied with uBlock.

I use malwarebytes browser guard plus ghostery. Does a good job. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I use Nano Defender...

But there is a silver lining! - The original developer controls the original repos and the website,so i grabbed the last version off there.

The new developer has a mere fork of the original repo.

It appears that the original developer still cares about the project,it's just that he doesn't have time for it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

And in new developments in the story, turns out the new "developers" that took over maintaining injected malware into the code and managed to push a new version, until it got taken down around 12hrs ago: https://github.com/NanoAdblocker/NanoCore/issues/362#issuecomment-709428210

Data stolen was any headers sent in requests made to pages. Of note, cookies.

Anyone who had the extension installed in the last few days should go to every site they visited in that time and log out of sites to invalidate the session cookie.

The original developer does appear to care, but his inexperience in software management and transition is very apparent. There are multiple other ways he should have gone about it. In the official discussion thread on GitHub he said: "As I mentioned here [1], I planned to donate most of the money back to the new developer(s) if they do a good job. If I wanted to make a quick buck, I would sell the projects and disappear."

If his intention was to reinvest what they paid him back into the project (which I am not questioning) he should have told them just to fork it, and if they did well he could push the user base over by releasing a small update that informs users that it is no longer supported and to go to the fork. His intentions clearly were good, but he fundamentally misunderstood what he was doing by selling it. He wasn't selling the software; he was selling the users and didn't realize that when he was in the process. It's GPL-3, those malicious devs didn't need to buy him out to get their hands on the software.

Furthermore, his inexperience is shown by clearly not having a clause in the sale contract to reverse the sale if harm or malicious activity is done to or with the purchased software. Many business takeovers have similar clauses to that in those contracts directly in case something like this happens.

This situation has caused irreparable harm to his developer identity, and unfortunately in some ways it should. People need to realize when they run something, in charge of something, or otherwise representing something that those things effect people in wide reaching ways. Not having time or not caring about something anymore is not an excuse to cause harm to them, whether it was intentional or not. The actions of the new devs with this project are forever his fault and his responsibility (obviously to a lesser degree than the devs themselves as his fault and responsibility is indirect) because he didn't take the proper actions in the transition. I'm sorry jspenguin2017 that you must deal with all this anger and frustration, I really do feel bad for you. But you deserve at least some of it, and WE, the community, deserve a full-throated apology outlining what you did wrong in this transition, that you accept this wrongdoing, and what you will do in future projects to address those specific points of what was wrong.

Now to get controversial I would like to reply to everyone out there who is saying things along the line of "The userbase wasn't THAT large, so what's the big deal?" I'd like to use a few examples to show how that line of thinking is dangerous to have.

"It's only SOME unarmed black people that are killed by police, why do we have to change the whole police system?"

"The genocide in Yemin isn't that big relative to like the Holocaust, and I'm not there so why should I care"

Yes, those are very extreme examples, but my point stands. Bad is bad, wrong is wrong, and we as various communities need to stand together to both call out what is wrong and take actions to stop things that are harmful on every level. If you can excuse harm to thousands of people you don't know it's not too much of a stretch to excuse harm to others.
Just to be clear I'm not accusing anybody that didn't think this was a big deal of thinking that police brutality or the genocide in Yemin don't matter. I'm just using examples to hopefully make you reflect internally into that line of thinking and hopefully make a mental change of your own. Thanks for taking the time to read my perspective.

Edited by CotyTernes
Correct grammar and spelling