PLS HELP FIRST BUILD DOESNT TURN ON PROPERLY

Tucci149
Just now, AdamLOveslinusvids said:

Quick question, do you have a Be Quiet psu?

No, it is evga 600W

Ok so it could be cables. if not the only other reasonable is defective hardware

Which hardware do you think is defective? motherboard or psu?

Check if CPU and ram is properly mounted in the sockets. Try PSU in other system or try other PSU.You could also try removing CMOS battery for 1-2 min/or change it.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Check if CPU and ram is properly mounted in the sockets. Try PSU in other system or try other PSU.You could also try removing CMOS battery for 1-2 min/or change it.

cpu and ram are both properly mounted, I don't have another system to try the psu on. 

What is CMOS battery?

1 minute ago, AdamLOveslinusvids said:

Most Likely the motherboard. But in another case it could be the psu. But most likely the motherboard.One question where did you buy your motherboard? 

bought it from a local retailer in NZ all parts are brand new

I have to go offline for the rest of today but if this was helpful please follow me and recommend me if anyone needs help :)

Yes! thank you so much!

46 minutes ago, Tucci149 said:

something else, the psu fans do NOT start spinning when I turn the system on, but they did when I connected the 16th and 17th pin of the 24pin connector using a paper clip

Your power supply is fine.

Strip it down to mobo, CPU and power button connector only.

No ram, no monitor cable, no GPU, no keyboard, no mouse, no usb internal headers, remove it all short of mobo, CPU and the power button connector.

See if the power supply fan turns when you power it on.

If not its a bad mobo or CPU.

It might then be worth reseating the CPU if you have not done so already.

Otherwise, your stuck at bad mobo/cpu.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

1 minute ago, cr8tor said:

Your power supply is fine.

No ram, no monitor cable, no GPU, no keyboard, no mouse, no usb internal headers, remove it all short of mobo, CPU and the power button connector.

See if the power supply fan turns when you power it on.

If not its a bad mobo or CPU.

It might then be worth reseating the CPU if you have not done so already.

Otherwise, your stuck at bad mobo/cpu.

with only cpu, mobo and psu the psu fans dont spin. Ive already reaseated the cpu and it has NO bent pins. I also assumed this was the motherboard and I am waiting on a motherboard speaker to see what type of problem it is. Ill send a video of exactly what is happening.

NO RAM. 🙂

See if it changes. Bad stick or ram or bad mobo slot could cause this so eliminate them.

The motherboard will still power on with no memory, thats how we get memory beep codes.

But removing the memory allows us to narrow it down a touch more.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

NO RAM. 🙂

See if it changes. Bad stick or ram or bad mobo slot could cause this so eliminate them.

The motherboard will still power on with no memory, thats how we get memory beep codes.

But removing the memory allows us to narrow it down a touch more.

no yeah I tried without ram yesterday and the same thing happened so its not the ram that is causing the problem.

Why did you create another post?

Stick to one post so people can review what's been done, and so as not to clutter up the forum with what's essentially the same issue.

Family machines

3 minutes ago, Tucci149 said:

no yeah I tried without ram yesterday and the same thing happened so its not the ram that is causing the problem.

Ahh cool.

Well, you have 2 components left, one of them is bad.

The only way you can narrow it down is to swap something out.

Dont wait for a speaker, it wont tell you anything helpful.

A bad CPU could look like a bad mobo, and a bad mobo could look like a bad CPU.

Family machines

Ahh cool.

Well, you have 2 components left, one of them is bad.

The only way you can narrow it down is to swap something out.

Dont wait for a speaker, it wont tell you anything helpful.

A bad CPU could look like a bad mobo, and a bad mobo could look like a bad CPU.

So you are saying I should swap one of the components out? If it were a cpu problem wouldnt the case fans and all the other components be working? 

13 minutes ago, Tucci149 said:

If it were a cpu problem wouldnt the case fans and all the other components be working?

No. A bad CPU often times wont allow post, and results in exactly what you have.

But then, so can a bad motherboard. Hence the swapping of parts to determine which is dead.

Family machines

5 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

No. A bad CPU often times wont allow post, and results in exactly what you have.

But then, so can a bad motherboard. Hence the swapping of parts to determine which is dead.

I don't have an extra cpu or motherboard to swap out tho. What would you do in my situation?

1 minute ago, Tucci149 said:

What would you do in my situation?

That is tough.

If the parts are new, RMA them both. You have no way of knowing.

If they are not new or otherwise have any warranty, that is tougher.

Are there any local PC clubs or local message boards for you (craigslist?) where you can post something asking for anyone that might be willing to meet you and help out?

A local pc repair shop might be able to do this for you, but they might also charge you more than the parts are worth to begin with.

Otherwise, pick the cheapest to replace and buy a replacement.

Family machines

3 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

That is tough.

If the parts are new, RMA them both. You have no way of knowing.

If they are not new or otherwise have any warranty, that is tougher.

Are there any local PC clubs or local message boards for you (craigslist?) where you can post something asking for anyone that might be willing to meet you and help out?

A local pc repair shop might be able to do this for you, but they might also charge you more than the parts are worth to begin with.

Otherwise, pick the cheapest to replace and buy a replacement.

Ok, Thank you so much! I will be sure to RMA both the cpu and the mobo and rebuild my system ;) 

All the best!

Hi all

Ive build my first rig yesterday, didnt work so I started testing. Thanks to the people in this forum I have narrowed down the problem to: The mobo, the cpu and the psu

When I test the psu with the paper clip method the fan of the power supply works perfectly, and the power supply itself seems to be working. When I connect the power supply to the motherboard and turn it on the power supply fan does NOT spin and the psu does not seem to be working.

What happens next is that the motherboard rgb flashes for half a second , then the ram does the same. then when I turn OFF the system the ram turns off for 5 second before turning off completely. 

Ive tested the full system inside the case, outside the case, Ive also tested with only the cpu and ram and it does the same thing. Ive also tested it with only the motherboard and cpu.

What I don't understand is how when I test the power supply it works fine but when I connect it to the motherboard and turn it on its not on and the fan is not spinning.

Also when the system is "ON" none of the fans are working, the gpu is not working, the cpu cooler is not working. 

I have NOT plugged this into a monitor since it hasn't been able to boot yet.

Video of issue (may need rewatching to see the flashing lights at the start as the video is quite short)

@Tucci149 Have you plugged in the case power button?

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB