Can't Decide On A Monitor

rojobahr

I've been searching for a second monitor for a few months now, but not much has been impressing me. The ASUS VG259QM and the VG279QM looked good, but their significantly higher input lag (as reported by rtings in their review of it) at 60hz renders them out of the question. This is because I have no interest (or capability) to run at anywhere near 280hz. My current monitor is an AOC G2460VQ6 (link to pcpartpicker page below). It's 2 years old and has a dead pixel, but I'm not looking to replace it. Instead, I'm looking to relegate it to being my secondary monitor. 

I've read the sticky and how it basically says that you should choose for yourself but, as mentioned before, I've been looking for a few months and can't decide. So, I would like recommendations that fit my criteria.

Criteria:

Price: Under $600

Screen Size: Preferably between 24 and 27 inches. 

Resolution: 1080p preferred. (I would ideally like a 1440p monitor, but I own a lot of old games that don't support 1440p (or 1080p and 1440p fan patches al far less common) and in modern games, I'm afraid my GPU will have a bit of a hard time with 1440p).

Refresh Rate: At least 60hz. (I don't really have any desire for 144hz or higher, if only because I don't think my GPU is powerful enough to handle it while maintaining good visuals)

Panel Type: Anything with good colors, which I think means IPS.

Response Time: 1ms, or close to it. Whatever looks best. 

And Freesync.

Basically, I want to prioritize visual clarity, brightness, colors, and visual responsiveness over refresh rate.

Now for my PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 1500X

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro

RAM: 16GB

I've had this for 2 years and do not have the interest to make any meaningful upgrades. If you are wondering why I don't just spend the monitor money on hardware upgrades, that's because, while it's not the best, I plan on getting the most out of my money and my current hardware setup is still functional. The addition of another monitor is so that I can have two monitors, the new one preferably being better than my current one.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sh38TW/aoc-g2460vq6-240-60hz-monitor-g2460vq6

Thank you ahead of time.

if your looking for a good 144Hz try the Lg Ultragear. I've had it for a while now. here is the link it is around $300 and great value. has Display port and HDMI. a 1050 2gb version is what my brother uses and he has great frames.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL650F-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07R7636MH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=LG+-+UltraGear+27"+IPS+LED+QHD+FreeSync+Monitor+with+HDR+-+Black&qid=1602905520&s=electronics&sr=1-1

1 hour ago, Doubble said:

if your looking for a good 144Hz try the Lg Ultragear. I've had it for a while now. here is the link it is around $300 and great value. has Display port and HDMI. a 1050 2gb version is what my brother uses and he has great frames.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL650F-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07R7636MH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=LG+-+UltraGear+27"+IPS+LED+QHD+FreeSync+Monitor+with+HDR+-+Black&qid=1602905520&s=electronics&sr=1-1

That one does look good. However, I looked on LG's website and the specs for it show a 5ms GTG response time and 1 for MBR. About how much does response time (what I've heard to be rather meaningless bullcrap) affect things?

17 minutes ago, rojobahr said:

That one does look good. However, I looked on LG's website and the specs for it show a 5ms GTG response time and 1 for MBR. About how much does response time (what I've heard to be rather meaningless bullcrap) affect things?

response time doesn't matter that much. there is a 1ms response time monitor for 500 but unless your playing something at a diamond+ level it wouldn't affect your performance in games 

On 10/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, Bentp2019 said:

That one also looks pretty damn good. I do have one question, however. I apologize if this is stupid, but is that is a Freesync monitor, right. It says that it is Freesync Premium compatible, but does that also mean that it is compatible with normal Freesync? Basically does my GPU need to support Premium in order to make use of even basic frame synchronization, cause my GPU is 2 years old, bought before Freesync Premium existed. 

Again, sorry if that is a really stupid and obvious question. I'm just not familiar with it. I ask because I don't like V-Sync and the input lag it brings and find tearing absolutely infuriating. Also, I'm tired.

That's OK, the whole syncing thing is driving everyone crazy, FreeSync 2?  FreeSync premium? and Pro? 
Ok here's the answer. Yes! if your graphic card only supports normal FreeSync and you have a FreeSync Premium monitor that will be fine.

FreeSync Premium is still FreeSync, the higher version can downward support the lower version. Good luck!

for your reference

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync