Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ram upgrade on Hamburg Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,
15 hours ago, Nopeland said:

Yes, the 4 of them were seated properly, I have tested them on a friend's rig and they work. So it is neither a memory error nor a seating issue.

My hp is OMEN X 900-201nx

I have updated the BIOS following HP's directions. And I tried the RAM again and it gave me the same three short beeps I have nightmares about.

I have tried contacting HP by phone but it was of no help. I will try their forums.

In the meantime, any other options other than replacing the whole motherboard? and pretty much the whole PC since if I change the motherboard I need to change my CPU (I9-7920x)

Thank you. 

I would first put the original RAM back into the system first, so you are able to get into the BIOS. If you updated the BIOS correctly, it should say the BIOS revision somewhere within the BIOS information page, etc.

It sounds like the motherboard doesn't like the 16GB density memory sticks...but I don't know why...when HP specifies up to 64GB...but they gimp it?

The motherboard looks like "standard" ATX form factory for the most part.

It uses non-proprietary connectors (e.g. ATX 24-pin, 8-pin CPU, etc, etc).

You should, be able to just swap the motherboard out, and you are good to go.

Keep in mind, since the computer case / chassis accepts micro-ATX, are you limited to those sizes, BECAUSE of the case / chassis. It looks like you can basically re-use everything else in that system (e.g. power supply, CPU, graphics card, etc, etc).

LGA-2066 is STILL Intel's CURRENT flagship 'Extreme' series.

You can re-use that CPU in a retail LGA-2066 supported motherboard.

Just to give you a few m-ATX boards...

MSi X299M-A PRO

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f6Nv6h/msi-x299m-a-pro-micro-atx-lga2066-motherboard-x299m-a-pro

EVGA X299 MICRO ATX2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wT97YJ/evga-x299-micro-atx-2-micro-atx-lga2066-motherboard-121-sx-e296-kr

MSi X299M GAMING PRO CARBON

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zqx9TW/msi-x299m-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-micro-atx-lga2066-motherboard-x299m-gaming-pro-carbon-ac

AsRock X299M EXTREME4

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/X299M Extreme4/#Overview

If you go standard full-size ATX, you open up A LOT more motherboard options...

image.png

Greetings all!

Sorry in advance for the noob question

I want to upgrade my current ram (4x8gb) 32gb 2400MHz DDR4 ram,

I use my pc for 3d modeling and rendering, and in bigger projects, ram gets full and my pc starts to struggle.

Now I have a uATX motherboard by hp called the "Hamburg Motherboard" (https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c05787238)

SPECS: 

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DRR4-2667)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
  • Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

PROCESSOR: 

• Intel Core i9-7920X

The max ram allowed by the motherboard is 64gb, so now I just have to choose the speed and make sure its compatible.

I was looking at the "Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit" but I don't know if the motherboard supports it? Cause it says "Supports PC4-21300 (DRR4-2667)" above. I'm a newbie when it comes to these stuff so good thing I googled my motherboard before buying. 

If this ram doesn't work with my system, what other suggestions are good? Do I need to focus on clock speed or latency for 3d modelling and rendering?

Thanks a bunch guys.

58 minutes ago, Nopeland said:

Greetings all!

Sorry in advance for the noob question

I want to upgrade my current ram (4x8gb) 32gb 2400MHz DDR4 ram,

I use my pc for 3d modeling and rendering, and in bigger projects, ram gets full and my pc starts to struggle.

Now I have a uATX motherboard by hp called the "Hamburg Motherboard" (https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c05787238)

SPECS: 

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DRR4-2667)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
  • Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

PROCESSOR: 

• Intel Core i9-7920X

The max ram allowed by the motherboard is 64gb, so now I just have to choose the speed and make sure its compatible.

I was looking at the "Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit" but I don't know if the motherboard supports it? Cause it says "Supports PC4-21300 (DRR4-2667)" above. I'm a newbie when it comes to these stuff so good thing I googled my motherboard before buying. 

If this ram doesn't work with my system, what other suggestions are good? Do I need to focus on clock speed or latency for 3d modelling and rendering?

Thanks a bunch guys.

A HP prebuilt.  No telling.  Prebuilts often don’t follow conventions.  It’s possible memory that fast wasn’t even out when this motherboard was being sold.  It could possibly work anyway, but Intel chips often have hard memory speed limits.  I can’t tell if this is a zseries chipset or not (“basin falls” is not helpful to me) so I don’t know if this board can even handle memory faster than 2667, and without knowing what your cpu is, even if the board could handle it without knowing the cpu I can’t tell either. 
  Is there a QVL sheet for this motherboard?  There might be one with the motherboard manual.  I’m looking for the manual online but not finding it.  That will say what models of memory stick have been tested and are known to work.  The advantage there is stuff wil “just work” generally.  What is most likely to happen is the memory will work but it will default to 2133, and won’t be able to go faster than 2667.  If this is the case you can perhaps tighten the timings on the memory to make it go a bit faster.  Timings aren’t quite as efficient as MHz but it’s speed. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

56 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

A HP prebuilt.  No telling.  Prebuilts often don’t follow conventions.  It’s possible memory that fast wasn’t even out when this motherboard was being sold.  It could possibly work anyway, but Intel chips often have hard memory speed limits.  I can’t tell if this is a zseries chipset or not (“basin falls” is not helpful to me) so I don’t know if this board can even handle memory faster than 2667, and without knowing what your cpu is, even if the board could handle it without knowing the cpu I can’t tell either. 
  Is there a QVL sheet for this motherboard?  There might be one with the motherboard manual.  I’m looking for the manual online but not finding it.  That will say what models of memory stick have been tested and are known to work.  The advantage there is stuff wil “just work” generally.  What is most likely to happen is the memory will work but it will default to 2133, and won’t be able to go faster than 2667.  If this is the case you can perhaps tighten the timings on the memory to make it go a bit faster.  Timings aren’t quite as efficient as MHz but it’s speed. 

CPU is Skylake-X i9-7920X.

It seems like HP is going by the maximum supported DRAM frequency specified by Intel.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126240/intel-core-i9-7920x-x-series-processor-16-5m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

image.png.2dd2d85a0cdbcfaeaa7eb286fe26b13c.png

Given it is a pre-built system, with a HP specific motherboard, X.M.P. is most likely disabled / non-existent in the BIOS.

You are limited to up to DDR4-2666.

That said, you CAN get higher frequency RAM, but it won't run at the maximum advertised frequency.

Using the Corsair Vengeance LPX kit that you mentioned...

The kit is rated for DDR4-3200 with XMP enabled. You can still use the kit of memory, but you can only adjust it up to DDR4-2666.

DDR4 JEDEC fail-safe standard is DDR4-2133.

Your board will support DDR4-2133, DDR4-2400, and DDR4-2666.

A side tidbit, the CPU can support up to 128GB of RAM, but your motherboard is limited to 64GB.

If you were to replace the motherboard, with a conventional, non-HP specific motherboard, you could get up to 128GB of RAM if you so desired.

For an example, replacing the motherboard with an ASUS Prime X299-A.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-A/overview/

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

27 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

It seems like HP is going by the maximum supported DRAM frequency specified by Intel.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126240/intel-core-i9-7920x-x-series-processor-16-5m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

Given it is a pre-built system, with a HP specific motherboard, X.M.P. is most likely disabled / non-existent in the BIOS.

That said, you CAN get higher frequency RAM, but it won't run at the maximum advertised frequency.

The kit is rated for DDR4-3200 with XMP enabled. You can still use the kit of memory, but you can only adjust it up to DDR4-2666.

A side tidbit, the CPU can support up to 128GB of RAM, but your motherboard is limited to 64GB.

If you were to replace the motherboard, with a conventional, non-HP specific motherboard, you could get up to 128GB of RAM if you so desired.

The thing is, HP has screwed me over. I bought the system 3 years ago. It's advertised for gaming and has a 1300W psu. So you'd think its very upgradable right? 

Wrong. The psu is custom by HP and only has three 8 pin connectors. Again, 1300w, only three 8 pins. I can't even add a secondary high end gpu for faster rendering without replacing the psu. 

And now I need to replace the motherboard? I might aswell wait a bit to save up and build a custom pc. 

For now though, someone on the HP forums is suggesting Intels extreme tuning utility but there is no response whether it worked or not. Me being not that knowledgeable in PCs I thought I'd ask you whether it could help in my case? Is it dangerous to try? 

Thanks again 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The CPU is i9 7920x

I tried looking for a manual too but with no luck. And the PC did not come with one for the motherboard. 

Kindly check my reply to rascal, what do you think of Intels extreme tuning utility? 

46 minutes ago, Nopeland said:

The CPU is i9 7920x

I tried looking for a manual too but with no luck. And the PC did not come with one for the motherboard. 

Kindly check my reply to rascal, what do you think of Intels extreme tuning utility? 

I know nothing about it.  My attitude has always been to tune from bios.  I’m old though and I’m not an enterprise hardware person.   Perhaps contacting HP  might get you some info on what memory it knows how to use.

looking at arkintel for the chip it’s pretty impressive

it also specifically says ddr4 2666 so there’s a pretty good chance that’s the fastest memory you can use.  Buying faster memory, running it slowly and tightening the timings might work.  I don’t know.  Better part of valor would be to buy slower memory with tighter timings already done in it. Intel consumer stuff has a rep for running with just about any memory.   This very clearly isn’t consumer stuff though even if the motherboard only has 4 memory slots. Intel enterprise might be the same about memory.  I don’t know.  It’s not impossible that because it’s enterprise rather than consumer the board has quad channel memory rather than dual.  That could affect things too.  Again I don’t know.  Another thing you need to find out about is Ecc.  Enterprise stuff can use different memory than consumer stuff.  There could be requirements.  Consumer grade memory is generally non-ecc.  

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I know nothing about it.  My attitude has always been to tune from bios.  I’m old though and I’m not an enterprise hardware person.   Perhaps contacting HP  might get you some info on what memory it knows how to use.

looking at arkintel for the chip it’s pretty impressive

it also specifically says ddr4 2666 so there’s a pretty good chance that’s the fastest memory you can use.  Buying faster memory, running it slowly and tightening the timings might work.  I don’t know.  Better part of valor would be to buy slower memory with tighter timings already done in it. Intel consumer stuff has a rep for running with just about any memory.   This very clearly isn’t consumer stuff though even if the motherboard only has 4 memory slots. Intel enterprise might be the same about memory.  I don’t know.  It’s not impossible that because it’s enterprise rather than consumer the board has quad channel memory rather than dual.  That could affect things too.  Again I don’t know.  Another thing you need to find out about is Ecc.  Enterprise stuff can use different memory than consumer stuff.  There could be requirements.  Consumer grade memory is generally non-ecc.  

I see.

Well I guess I will do it the safe way and get the 2666MHz ram. Thanks for the information @bombastinator and @-rascal-, I will keep an eye out for my next PC/Build.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 2:28 AM, -rascal- said:

Hey, Update.

I got the Vengeance 4x16gb 2666MHz kit and it is not booting!

The bios is giving me three short beeps. I tried putting in the old ram and the pc booted.

I don't know what to do! I got the ram limit specified by HP, and it did not work.

What do i do?

20 hours ago, Nopeland said:

Hey, Update.

I got the Vengeance 4x16gb 2666MHz kit and it is not booting!

The bios is giving me three short beeps. I tried putting in the old ram and the pc booted.

I don't know what to do! I got the ram limit specified by HP, and it did not work.

What do i do?

4 x 16GB (total of 64GB) is supported by the board.

Does it work if you tried with 1 or 2 sticks of the Corsair Vengeance memory?

Three short beeps, consecutively, usual means memory error.

Did you make sure all four sticks were properly seated / locked into each memory slot?

What is the model of your HP PC?

You may need to update the motherboard BIOS / firmware for the board to properly support 64GB of memory.

• Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 hours ago, -rascal- said:

4 x 16GB (total of 64GB) is supported by the board.

Does it work if you tried with 1 or 2 sticks of the Corsair Vengeance memory?

Three short beeps, consecutively, usual means memory error.

Did you make sure all four sticks were properly seated / locked into each memory slot?

What is the model of your HP PC?

You may need to update the motherboard BIOS / firmware for the board to properly support 64GB of memory.

Yes, the 4 of them were seated properly, I have tested them on a friend's rig and they work. So it is neither a memory error nor a seating issue.

I have updated the BIOS following HP's directions. And I tried the RAM again and it gave me the same three short beeps I have nightmares about.

I have tried contacting HP by phone but it was of no help. I will try their forums.

In the meantime, any other options other than replacing the whole motherboard? and pretty much the whole PC since if I change the motherboard I need to change my CPU (I9-7920x)

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Nopeland said:

Thank you. 

To throw something in the air which is probably useless:

All I know is that the beep code debug system is generally active even if there is also another debug system on there as well.  My suspicion is that 3 short beeps means something specific for that motherboard.  I got no idea what though

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

To throw something in the air which is probably useless:

All I know is that the beep code debug system is generally active even if there is also another debug system on there as well.  My suspicion is that 3 short beeps means something specific for that motherboard.  I got no idea what though

"Unable to start flashing (such as when missing a utility or BIOS image)"

This is what i got from https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922, Im not sure if it applies to my specific motherboard though 

EDIT: 

Scroll down for the "Beep codes for american.." and you will find "Memory read or write failure"

Edited by Nopeland
correction
7 minutes ago, Nopeland said:
"Unable to start flashing (such as when missing a utility or BIOS image)"

This is what i got from https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922, Im not sure if it applies to my specific motherboard though 

EDIT: 

Scroll down for the "Beep codes for american.." and you will find "Memory read or write failure"

Ah.  It’s saying it can’t read the memory.  I wonder if the current bios or hardware looks at the 16gbness of those memory sticks and goes “nope”.  Is the thing rated for 64gb on 4 slots or only 32gb?  Possible if that is the problem there might be a bios fix.  Also real possible there wouldn’t be though. 

15 hours ago, Nopeland said:

Thank you. 

I would first put the original RAM back into the system first, so you are able to get into the BIOS. If you updated the BIOS correctly, it should say the BIOS revision somewhere within the BIOS information page, etc.

It sounds like the motherboard doesn't like the 16GB density memory sticks...but I don't know why...when HP specifies up to 64GB...but they gimp it?

The motherboard looks like "standard" ATX form factory for the most part.

Keep in mind, since the computer case / chassis accepts micro-ATX, are you limited to those sizes, BECAUSE of the case / chassis. It looks like you can basically re-use everything else in that system (e.g. power supply, CPU, graphics card, etc, etc).

MSi X299M-A PRO

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f6Nv6h/msi-x299m-a-pro-micro-atx-lga2066-motherboard-x299m-a-pro

EVGA X299 MICRO ATX2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wT97YJ/evga-x299-micro-atx-2-micro-atx-lga2066-motherboard-121-sx-e296-kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zqx9TW/msi-x299m-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-micro-atx-lga2066-motherboard-x299m-gaming-pro-carbon-ac

AsRock X299M EXTREME4

image.png

• Ekwb Custom loop

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

7 hours ago, -rascal- said:

The motherboard looks like "standard" STX form factory for the most part.

MSi X299M-A PRO

EVGA X299 MICRO ATX2

AsRock X299M EXTREME4

image.png

It's really weird isn't it? I'm now holding back on buying an Rtx3090 just in case for some dumb reason my whole pc grows legs and decides to jump out the window because it doesn't like upgrades. 

You went above and beyond by giving me the motherboard options, thank you. 

I have already posted on the HP forums and if by some slim chance I was able to run the ram on the motherboard I will update you. 

Again, thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it. 

Regards. 

7 hours ago, Nopeland said:

It's really weird isn't it? I'm now holding back on buying an Rtx3090 just in case for some dumb reason my whole pc grows legs and decides to jump out the window because it doesn't like upgrades. 

You went above and beyond by giving me the motherboard options, thank you. 

I have already posted on the HP forums and if by some slim chance I was able to run the ram on the motherboard I will update you. 

Again, thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it. 

Regards. 

Keep us updated~!

• Ekwb Custom loop

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

On 10/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, -rascal- said:

Keep us updated~!

As usual no help was provided.

Could it be that in the motherboard's spec sheet it specifies (unbuffered) RAM? Do I need to get server ram?

6 hours ago, Nopeland said:

As usual no help was provided.

Could it be that in the motherboard's spec sheet it specifies (unbuffered) RAM? Do I need to get server ram?

Unbuffered RAM *IS* just regular RAM.

Server grade memory is usually Buffered and/or ECC (error correction code; self error correcting).

The spec says the board (CPU can, obviously) can support 64GB, but they may have limited it to 32GB, or unable to properly recognize 16GB memory sticks in the BIOS firmware.

They even say 8GB and 16GB DIMMS are supported, so my finger points even HARDER at BIOS firmware related limitation.

That, or the motherboard is picky AF on what brand / model RAM sticks must be used.

Spoiler

One of the reasons why I just build my own PCs, sick of the crap, like what you are facing, OEMs like Acer / DELL / HP do.
You contact support, and it is basically "I don't know, you are on your own."

Last pre-built I ever owned was a low-cost Acer PC from ~2006 ... but even I upgraded the shit out of that, but ALSO limited by the motherboard / BIOS at the end.

• Upgraded the CPU from AMD 64 X2 4400+ >> AMD 64 X2 6000+
  • Aftermarket heatsink
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM  >> 4GB Corsair RAM
  • On-board graphics >> Radeon HD 4850 graphics card
  • Swapped the shitty PSU >> Antec PSU
  • Overclocked the CPU using 'ClockGen' software

CAN'T get Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 on it because the BIOS doesn't support it ... sooo stuck with Windows Vista.

That's when I got rid of it in ~2009.

At this point, you might be stuck with 32GB with that current set-up...afraid to say it.

If you want 64GB (or even 128GB), you may need to swap the board.

From what I can tell, CPU + CPU Cooler + RAM + Graphics Card + Power Supply + SSD/HDD can all be kept.

Maybe even the case / chassis if the power / reset / front panel connections are "standard" format -- if you really want to keep the case / chassis.

• Ekwb Custom loop

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Sigh.... Understandable. Guess i'll replace the motherboard for now. 

So when replacing the motherboard I need to reinstall windows and everything? Is there a way to bypass that?

Thank you