Wraith stealth cooler screw go forever

My cpu temps haven’t been the greatest, so I re seated the cooler. I got 3 out of the 4 sides to be tight, but the 4th side goes on forever. The first 3 sides, I screwed them in until I felt a little bit of retention force and then screwed them back one turn. The fourth one, I just kept on screwing, it went on for like 45 seconds while the other 3 only went for like 15-20 seconds. Is this a problem?? What should I do.

It's either not mounted in the hole (nice) or you've stripped the screw/hole

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Sounds like maybe it stripped. (This can sometimes happen if a crossthreaded (i.e. put in at the wrong angle) gets driven in, it just strips out the threads so then it'll keep turning because it's just a screw in a hole, not a screw in a threaded hole.)

If the cooler feels secure and your temps are ok, it might be ok. Otherwise, I'd recommend replacing both the cooler and the backplate it screws into. (Wraith stealths are cheap online, because a lot of people replace them with after-market coolers; the backplate might be harder to find, though.)

2 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

Sounds like maybe it stripped. (This can sometimes happen if a crossthreaded (i.e. put in at the wrong angle) gets driven in, it just strips out the threads so then it'll keep turning because it's just a screw in a hole, not a screw in a threaded hole.)

If the cooler feels secure and your temps are ok, it might be ok. Otherwise, I'd recommend replacing both the cooler and the backplate it screws into. (Wraith stealths are cheap online, because a lot of people replace them with after-market coolers; the backplate might be harder to find, though.)

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

It's either not mounted in the hole (nice) or you've stripped the screw/hole

Okay, I haven’t checked temps yet but I will be getting a aftermarket cooler at Christmas so as long as my temps are good with 3 out of the 4 screws in, I should be fine. Thank You all for the help!!

Edit- The cooler feels firmly secure.

If you're using stock cooler, you're supposed to screw (by hand) until you feel a stop

Your temps are probably caused by insufficient mounting pressure

The infinite screwing is probably the screw not catching the thread

Screw in each screw in a cross pattern one or two turns first, to make sure every screw catches the thread

Then tighten them in cross pattern two or three rotation each until you feel a stop on each

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

If you're using stock cooler, you're supposed to screw (by hand) until you feel a stop

Your temps are probably caused by insufficient mounting pressure

The infinite screwing is probably the screw not catching the thread

Screw in each screw in a cross pattern one or two turns first, to make sure every screw catches the thread

Then tighten them in cross pattern two or three rotation each until you feel a stop on each

I know that XD, I think the comments above are right. I have destroyed the threads on one of my screws and now am just screwing in to a thread less hole.

3 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

I know that XD, I think the comments above are right. I have destroyed the threads on one of my screws and now am just screwing in to a thread less hole.

If you're positive you have stripped the thread (you can try screwing the cooler into backplate without motherboard in between)

Then I recommend you grab a new backplate, because uneven pressure may cause issues

31 minutes ago, BlazerBuddy said:

I screwed them in until I felt a little bit of retention force and then screwed them back one turn.

This to me sounds like you're doing it wrong, thus the previous post

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately