Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strange 10 Pin Connector question

Hey guys, I was thinking about buying a Corsair Rm750x and I noticed it has one of those weird 10 pin ports on it. It seems like, according to a google search, it's a proprietary alternative to a 24 pin connector. My question is, can this 10 pin connector be used for other things, like providing a 3rd 8 pin for an rtx 3090 with an adapter? (I'm not buying one, of course, but just for the sake of the example) It's tough to find information on this, and I figured this forum would be the best place to ask.

ele-1162a.jpg

With PSU's like that, instead of having a single 24-pin bank taking up space on the face of the unit for the motherboard connector, they split the PSU side of the 24-pin ATX motherboard cable to a 14-pin & 10-pin duo to free up space for other devices on SATA/Molex & PCIe whilst keeping the hardware related to the motherboard power (involving 12V, 5V & 3V rails, everything else is just 12V or 5V) in the one general area instead of spreading it out.

In other words: if the PSU has something particular printed on the face related to a set of pins, then that's what those pins are for and you can't repurpose them for something else without frying the PSU, the cable or the motherboard/device (or most likely frying all 3 items).

the 24 pin cable for the mobo uses both combined. as for the rtx 3090, you have 6 total cables that can be used. assuming you use 1, maybe 2(not needed) for the eps(cpu) power, you still have 4 total cables. more than enough for what you want.

1 hour ago, ChipsDotMp4 said:

Hey guys, I was thinking about buying a Corsair Rm750x and I noticed it has one of those weird 10 pin ports on it. It seems like, according to a google search, it's a proprietary alternative to a 24 pin connector. My question is, can this 10 pin connector be used for other things, like providing a 3rd 8 pin for an rtx 3090 with an adapter? (I'm not buying one, of course, but just for the sake of the example) It's tough to find information on this, and I figured this forum would be the best place to ask.

ele-1162a.jpg

The 10+18 power connectors on the motherboard go to the 24-pin on the motherboard.  It has nothing to do with the the DC connectors on the other side or what they plug into.  You are Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overthinking this.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:34 PM, jonnyGURU said:

The 10+18 power connectors on the motherboard go to the 24-pin on the motherboard.  It has nothing to do with the the DC connectors on the other side or what they plug into.  You are Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overthinking this.

I have to admit, this question looks really stupid, but in my defense I was really tired when I posted it. I saw the bigger 24 pin connector slot and thought, "hey, that's all 24 pins!" without counting them to realize that no, it's not. I feel really dumb now.