How to Choose A TV Antenna?

I believe this should be the correct place for my topic..

Anyways, I bought an Antenna a while ago and I get pretty much get all the channels I care about NBC, CBS, FOX, but the channel I'm missing is the CW.

I looked at coverage maps from the fcc and TV fool and I should be able to get it.

Also, I was able to see abc (WABC-TV) with no problem before but now the signal stutters. I only moved it a bit so it can be on the window.

(The antenna is also hanging upside down, I don't know if that has to with anything)

Specs of the antenna

Spoiler

20200925_225312.thumb.jpg.fbb6354480b19540ae550b1b8e448c8a.jpg

22 hours ago, Syaoran said:

I believe this should be the correct place for my topic..

Anyways, I bought an Antenna a while ago and I get pretty much get all the channels I care about NBC, CBS, FOX, but the channel I'm missing is the CW.

I looked at coverage maps from the fcc and TV fool and I should be able to get it.

Also, I was able to see abc (WABC-TV) with no problem before but now the signal stutters. I only moved it a bit so it can be on the window.

(The antenna is also hanging upside down, I don't know if that has to with anything)

Specs of the antenna

Reveal hidden contents

20200925_225312.thumb.jpg.fbb6354480b19540ae550b1b8e448c8a.jpg

The best thing is to look at where the channels are broadcasting from. For example all my channels come from the North East. So my antenna is located in my bed room on the second floor on the north side of the house. Currently I have 54 channels. If I had to guess the antenna is probably 20 is feet above ground, which helps. 

One thing to keep in mind. Indoor antenna sucks. They can work if you're close to the transmitters but generally an outdoor unit will do worlds better. I myself am using an indoor antenna, however, I found a great position on the wall where I can get everything. Thats the key thing, you need to find the best position. My antenna is literally velcro to the wall. It also have a powered amp. 

If you want to learn more I suggest checking out Tyler the Antenna man on Youtube. He does Antenna installs for a living and has reviews on many antennas. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The channels you are missing are both VHF-High which is notoriously difficult with contemporary indoor antennas. UHF under 30 is similarly difficult. Your antenna is an "amplified" unit which is something of a consumer scam. When the amplification mode is on it tends to introduce noise, or the impression of a lost signal with DTV. In other words, you don't have to fool around with the antenna you have. Return it.

There are very few good amplified antennas intended to be used indoors. In New York, a sea of steel construction and RF interference, hesitate to use such a unit unless you are pretty far out in the suburbs.

New York is THE priority market. Signals tend to be strong and clear unless you are among the many, many obstructions in Manhattan and Brooklyn or a particularly low part of Queens. Most important is your proximity to One World Trade Center and the Empire State Bldg from which the mentioned channels broadcast. Reception through a building can be a complicating factor if you are in an apartment on the wrong side for maximum reception.

Also, seconding Tyler the Antenna Man. He knows his stuff and stays on top of it.

Assuming you are within 20 miles of the broadcast towers, you may choose among the following for good results.

Mohu Leaf or Arc. The Leaf is the one all the other flat antennas are copying. Arc is not designed to fit in a window.

Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse

Channel Master Flatenna 35. CM being the old, tried and true brand in this category.

If you are further out or just want the maximum indoor unit, devise some kind of stand or support and stick an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V in the window and be done with it.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, Donut417 said:

The best thing is to look at where the channels are broadcasting from. For example all my channels come from the North East. So my antenna is located in my bed room on the second floor on the north side of the house. 

CBS, FOX, and NBC all come from North West (28 mi)
CW (WPIX) and ABC (WABC) come from a North West and North East (31 mi)

Also, I have a better view of CW and ABC broadcast towers surprisingly lol (direction wise)

22 hours ago, stanfiveohtwo said:

Your antenna is an "amplified" unit which is something of a consumer scam. When the amplification mode is on it tends to introduce noise, or the impression of a lost signal with DTV. In other words, you don't have to fool around with the antenna you have. Return it.

I was able to get the antenna I currently have for free and it works so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The antenna I have is for the living room that my parents mostly use, I want to get one for my room now.

23 hours ago, stanfiveohtwo said:

Assuming you are within 20 miles of the broadcast towers, you may choose among the following for good results.

Mohu Leaf or Arc. The Leaf is the one all the other flat antennas are copying. Arc is not designed to fit in a window.

Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse

Channel Master Flatenna 35. CM being the old, tried and true brand in this category.

If you are further out or just want the maximum indoor unit, devise some kind of stand or support and stick an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V in the window and be done with it.

I live about 31 miles from ABC and CW broadcast towers according to antennaweb.org, and TV fool tells me the towers are 28 miles away from me.

I live in an apartment so I don't know if I'm allowed to install an outside antenna.

6 hours ago, Syaoran said:

I live about 31 miles from ABC and CW broadcast towers according to antennaweb.org, and TV fool tells me the towers are 28 miles away from me.

I live in an apartment so I don't know if I'm allowed to install an outside antenna.

The last bit first. Unless you can see that your building is covered with the antennas of your neighbors, you are not allowed to install your own outside antenna. I'll take a wild guess and assume your building went up in the cable era, but that is no longer an option.

You've got an interesting set of issues. At the limit of reception of some major stations, but technically well within your TV market. Not able to put up an exterior antenna. Still in relatively urban density. Yow. The only thing for it is a really big antenna that you can keep in your room, and actually receives stations within the 60 miles (30 one way, 30 the other) that it claims on the box. The catch is: these aren't cheap. Full comprehension of how an amplified antenna came into your home has been achieved.

Do your own research, of course, but start with the following. The sizes of these things correspond to the size of the reception issues you're having.

What might or might not do the trick is 

Mohu® Leaf® 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna (I'm copying and pasting these from the distributor's sites.) Technically it's for people like you, but I have yet to read anything that claims good signals out past suburbia, which would be your distance from the towers in most of the rest of the country.

The rest will do what you need, but are ungainly.

ClearStream 2MAX® UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna which should probably be mounted to something that doesn't come in the box for indoor usage.

ANTOP Mini "Big Boy" AT-406BV Indoor/Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna which comes with its own stand for indoor usage.

ANTOP AT-300SBS HD Smart Antenna which is one of those wall-hung, window-hung flat antennas, but really, really big.

and they're all about $120. On the other hand they will last for ages.

Good luck, or under the circumstances, 73 and good DX.

8 hours ago, Syaoran said:

CBS, FOX, and NBC all come from North West (28 mi)
CW (WPIX) and ABC (WABC) come from a North West and North East (31 mi)

Also, I have a better view of CW and ABC broadcast towers surprisingly lol (direction wise)

If they all come from the north then that where the antenna needs to be. Preferably on an outside wall or a Window. According to Tyler the Antenna man these flat antennas are all garbage. Thats what I use and it does work, but it took a while to get things running reliably. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I got the Mohu Leaf + 60 miles and I still can't get CW (WPIX), but with ABC it looks like I'm able to view it only if I'm able to get the coaxial cable in a certain position, no idea what that is about.

2 hours ago, Syaoran said:

Update: I got the Mohu Leaf + 60 miles and I still can't get CW (WPIX), but with ABC it looks like I'm able to view it only if I'm able to get the coaxial cable in a certain position, no idea what that is about.

Try moving the antenna. Even with putting my antenna on the north wall where all the signals come from, I have to leave it in a specific spot for all the channels to come in. If all else fails, there is always an outdoor antenna. 

Check out the Antenna man on Youtube. He does reviews of antennas. He actually states that the flat antennas like I use and the Mohu Leaf are garbage but he does have reviews of several indoor and outdoor models. That might be wise. ALSO have your antenna as high up as you can get it. We live in a two story home. Antennas dont work on our first floor, like you can get channels about 2/3s of the time. However on our second floor, there are no issues generally. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Try moving the antenna. Even with putting my antenna on the north wall where all the signals come from, I have to leave it in a specific spot for all the channels to come in. If all else fails, there is always an outdoor antenna. 

Check out the Antenna man on Youtube. He does reviews of antennas. He actually states that the flat antennas like I use and the Mohu Leaf are garbage but he does have reviews of several indoor and outdoor models. That might be wise. ALSO have your antenna as high up as you can get it. We live in a two story home. Antennas dont work on our first floor, like you can get channels about 2/3s of the time. However on our second floor, there are no issues generally. 

Alright, I'll try
My room is on the 2nd floor, just so you get an idea
(I might even post a diagram with signal directions and stuff if more help is needed)