Friend across the world , bad ping , any fixes ?

StonerNixon

Not just bad ping , but slow download speeds. He’s a streamer and relies on his internet :/ so I want to do what I can to help. Close friend , so I trust him enough with my IP and stuff . So is it possible for me to set up an old Dell server ive got as something for him to remote into for internet access ? He lives in India and we live in Canada and the US , so he gets like 300 ping and it’s bad lol there has to be some way to make things easier right ? 

1 minute ago, StonerNixon said:

@Slottr and what dose that mean o.O? 

How do you plan to completely avoid using his internet to get to some server

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I don’t ? I don’t know what I plan on doing that’s why I’m asking what the hell do I do lol I have zero plan I have an idea and zero clue how to execute it. 

31 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

I don’t ? I don’t know what I plan on doing that’s why I’m asking what the hell do I do lol I have zero plan I have an idea and zero clue how to execute it. 

His only option is to find a better local provider. Going through you is only going to add latency and speed issues on top of his current problem. 

On 10/16/2020 at 12:09 AM, StonerNixon said:

@Slottr and what dose that mean o.O? 

Essentially the issue is ah his end, the source. So whatever you do at your end will make little difference, the problems are with his initial connection to the web.

However...that may not mean there is nothing that can be done. Some things to consider (which actually you are kind of almost getting at)

• Where does he mainly need to connect to (end point)
  • Is there a better route to this end point?

For the above, the way to look at it is. Your friend connects from his ISP (source) and ultimately struggles with slow speed at somewhere down the line (end point) so he wants to find out is there a better route to take to get to the end point. Think traffic in a city, taking another route to get to the destination faster.

A way he could try quite easily is a VPN. The connecting to different locations (services provide lots!) and see how it performs with each.

Have a look for some free trials of different VPN services before spending any money as it may not help and it could be that his ISP just had crappy routing to everywhere no matter what!