New To cameras asking for help.

Chris_nz

Hi

Me and my partner have decided on getting a new DLSR Camera.

so my question is, What am i to look for in a DLSR camera. i know prices Vary in what i want.

but anything under 1000 bucks would be good.

cheers

Chris

Which country? I assume NZ?

stock lens or are you wanting telescopic? Wide angle?

And what made you choose DSLR?

i chose DSLR for the quality of the photo?

and no i dont need anything fancy just the stock lens will be fine..

an yes New Zealand.

if theres anything else other then a DSLR, lemme know. our POS we have now takes not very good photos.

cheers

| Imo the first thing that you'll want to look for is the availability of a certain DSLR system aka customer support. For example, Canon and Nikon have excellent support in any country because they're very well known, which makes it easier to find accessories and equipment. Other brands like Pentax and Sony might not be so.

Second, depending on what you're going to use your DSLR for, each system has it's own strength. If you're going for fast action photography, you might want to find a system that has excellent autofocusing ability like the Nikons, the Canons and Sony. If you're focusing on video capabilities go with the Canon/Sony. If you're looking for an affordable weather sealed DSLR go with the Pentax. And so on and so forth. Try researching into each system and know their pros and cons.

Third, depends on your budget because the price on lenses and equipments vary according to each system. Canons and Nikons are fairly well known so getting your hands on second hand eqs is easier and cheaper. The Pentax system relies heavily on old and 3rd party lenses so they also tend to be cheaper.

Finally, if you're looking for excellent image quality but hate having a bulky camera, go with the mirrorless system. They also feature interchangeable lenses and larger sensors than your point and shoot. The image quality of some mirrorless cameras can even rival that of a DSLR. The only downside is that most of them lack an optical viewfinder.

Gluck! :D

| And oh, examples of mirrorless cameras are the Sony NEX and Panasonic/Olympus micro four thirds system

For that price or something less you can buy the Nikon D7000 with 18-105 VR

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

Yes The Nikon D7000 is a very good semi profesional camera if you spend some time and get a nice equipt you can take some nice pictures. If you want a dslr and want to take photos in automatic mode just buy a normal digital camera. I use the D7000 too and i'm very content with it. You can look at some pictures i took with it here http://software-finck.de/Menschen.php .

If want to take photos as a hobby(like I do) you will be good with the D7000.

Moreover you can take videos with it and they will look good aswell.

If I were you I would get a nice mirrorless camera. Honestly many people think they need a full APS-C DSLR, and may even think they need a full frame, when mirrorless is fine for the majority of people out there who are just taking average snapshots or experimenting and learning better photography techniques

They're more convenient and cheaper, and you still get the features of a nice sensor and changeable lenses

If you insist on a DSLR I would go for an entry level Canon, such as that of a T3i or T4i, because of the user friendly features, lens selection, and excellent video quality as the "Canikon" video is becoming more common, and Canon certainly takes the lead for DSLR video.

thanks everyone appriciate the feedback. cannon over here is probably the most stand out, its everywhere here, so i might with one of them.. thanks everyone.

I'd check out some of the Sony Alpha cameras. Canon and Nikon mostly dominate the market, and they certainly deserve their place, however Sony has some truly exciting tech on their shelves. When buying a first camera you need to think about the lens as much as or more than the body. With no offence meant to Cannon or Nikon, their kit lenses (the lenses you can purchase with the cameras) generally suck. Sony's kit lenses are on par with professional after market lenses, in terms of build quality and clarity. Sony cameras also have superior focus modes (check out their Focus Peaking mode) and image stabilisation, and it is night and day when compared with competitor brands. Furthermore Sony does film much more strongly than competitors at this price point, no exceptions. The aesthetic is a little flat, however this means your footage is much more flexible in post production. With this being said, if you're going to be shooting a lot of nighttime or dark scenes, go for a Nikon camera. Their low light performance cannot be beaten. Here are some cameras I can recommend for your price range. Sony A57 (if you can stretch the wallet go for an A65, they cannot be beaten at their price range for bang for buck), or a Nikon D7000. Also check out Fujifilm's X series of cameras. While they aren't terribly useful for film, and the learning curve will be a bit harsh, the still quality will blow you away.

You might want to check out this channel PhotoAnswers here they talk about the different software usages and make good tutorials.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 (Corsair H60 with a Noctua NF-F12 Fan) - Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 (rev. 1.4) - RAM:  4 GB kingston, and 8 GB kingston hyperx blu @ 1333 MHz - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660ti OC edition SSD: 256 GB Plextor MP5-Pro - Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363d - Case: Cooler Master elite 430 black -  Cooled by 2 Noctua NF-S12A Fans      Peripherals:ACER B243PWLAymdr IPS Panel - 1920*1200 - ACER S222HQL LCD Panel - 1920*1080 - Corsair M45 on a XFX Warpad - Typing on a Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Brown - Green LED - Racing with my Logitech G27 Racing wheel - other games Logitech F710

I love my canon EOS 60D. It's a great camera for your price point. I also love the simplicity and versatility of canon's lens system but both Canon and Nikon are great choices. Nikon lenses however can be confusing as their system has changed over the years, leaving them with multiple versions of some lenses. At this point, I would still recommend a DSLR as there is solid support and future-proof ness to DSLR systems. Cameras like the Sony NEX are certainly interesting, but that form factor still has many flaws. And I disagree. Sony's kit lenses are right on par with canon and Nikon's. if they weren't, there would be a DRAMATIC price difference as better optics are generally very expensive in the DSLR realm. I hope this helps!

There is a dramatic difference - My kit zoom lens cost me $900 and I regret buying other lenses, as they aren't a step up at all! Every reviewer makes note of the superior build quality of Sony kit lenses, even their cheaper $300-$400 specs.

I think that you should really research the different strengths and weakness of all the suggested cameras, some of the good YouTuber are:

FroKnows Photo and his website and ThatNikonGuy (not brand focused despite the name).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB