Just wondering, what's your browser and why?

Chrome since I've been using it since forever and I'm too lazy to type passwords. I only use edge/firefox if a website has problems. I use ad and pop-up blockers

3 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Well, I'm using Chrome for both on my laptop, at version 86.0.4240.75, and phone. Been using it constantly until now since 2012. And, yes. I don't have any problems so far with Chrome (my 8 GB RAM laptop and 4 GB RAM phone still survives nicely) like, at all. I even sometimes open a lot of tabs on it that it can only see the logos of each tabs. Privacy wise? Like, no matter what browser we use trackers will still coming to us, anyway. Plus, like. Sometimes some ads that's the 'tracker gave', are actually useful in one case.

Kind of got Firefox before but I can't really get used with it, and I thought it felt the same anyway. Installed it just for second browser (in case Chrome getting sucks, which actually kind of saved my live once on an exam when a site can't be opened on Chrome), yeet, ninstalled it for... Vivaldi right now (and just on for few hours yet), though, because it's a derivative of Chromium (which on Chrome either so I don't have to adapt that much) and, after kind of good time of research, I thought I would like to try it.

I admit it's got a lot more customization, in-built ad-tracker blocker is really nice and functional, haven't tried much the more 'interesting' features on it yet, page tilting is awesome btw, but the but the UI, so far, aren't as clean as Chrome. Or, perhaps any way to use Chrome-like UI cleanness on Vivaldi? lol

Problem on Vivaldi is this, unfortunately. Left one's what pinned on taskbar, yet when it's opened, it's on the right. Didn't found the fix yet and to be honest it's kind of distracting me.

image.png.391cd214dc4058628ad5f837de432772.png

Yet. Edit. Use-case that's actually really nice indeed so far on Vivaldi that I can't done easily on Chrome. Thought gotta migrate if I'm using it enough lol.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.84a7c626630b6dbdaf00b69d61b4cb9c.png

I used Firefox for a long time but I started noticing a lot of compatibility issues and Youtube was running really slow on it. Now I use Chrome.

Hi dhannemon13, thanks for trying out Vivaldi! 

If you miss that Chrome look, I have you covered ;) 

You can make Vivaldi look a lot like Chrome with a few simple steps:

First off, right click on any button in the main toolbar that you don't like, and click "Customize -> Remove From Toolbar"

Second, open the Theme Settings and make a new theme with the following settings:

Background: #ffffff;
    Foreground: #3c4043;
    Highlight: #5b9ae9;
    Accent: #dee1e6;
    Accent Color from Active Page: Off;
    Apply Accent Color to Window: On;
    Transparent Tabs: On;
    Corner Rounding: 8px;

image.png.4ca1ce6c48932b5d071ec19a9558e9c2.png

Now, that's pretty much all you need. Just hide the Side panel and Status bar to get that clean look.

BUT, if you want to take it even further and get the rounded URL field as well, you can apply this custom CSS mod by using this file:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/rRuokxKn  (updated with some minor fixes just now - new file)

To learn how you can use custom CSS files to mod our UI, head over to this forum thread:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/10549/modding-vivaldi

Also, keep in mind you can use any Chrome Extension directly in Vivaldi👍

Let me know how it goes.

vivaldi-chrome.thumb.png.3ba59b461db77b0284eb3af02ace2e92.png

I use the new Edge (chromium). It's a bit faster than chrome, is one of the best in saving RAM and has a lot of nice privacy features such as automatically deleting all cookies, history, etc. when closing the browser. I see no reason to use chrome over it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

like many before me in this thread, it's chrome. and basically because i got so used to the ecosystem that it's pretty hard to switch now.

especially since it syncs to my phone so easily.

3 hours ago, PiberiusWilde said:

I just changed (today) to using Chrome after using Opera for 10 years. Opera just got worse and worse lately and being unable to use some of the VidCon services on it. Just adds nails to the coffin (dance).

TBH even if chrome uses so much RAM. But I think it contributes to it being so snappy

2 hours ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Vivaldi??? never heard that one before and why does it looked like Opera so mu..... (Looks at Wikipedia)

Oww.... That's why 

CJ : Ah shet here we go again!!!

Ah, yes. Opera. Used it either for 2-3 years. The browser for (real) decade-old PCs. Their website compression is actually good on the time when speed's are so low on most ISPs. Like, you know how slow Telkom Speedy is.

1 hour ago, Berkomeister said:

Chrome since I've been using it since forever and I'm too lazy to type passwords. I only use edge/firefox if a website has problems. I use ad and pop-up blockers

I'd be honest if laziness for typing passwords sometimes would be annoying if sh*t happened to the account/laptop simply because if the one acc that store all of the passwords hacked, potentially all of your accounts would be breached easily. Only potentially, but still dangerous enough, at least for me.

But mostly of above, I hate to forgot my own password while I need to log in on another computer because I never typed it. True story, that's why I stopped using any kind of password manager.

15 minutes ago, atlemo said:

Hi dhannemon13, thanks for trying out Vivaldi! 

If you miss that Chrome look, I have you covered ;) 

You can make Vivaldi look a lot like Chrome with a few simple steps:

First off, right click on any button in the main toolbar that you don't like, and click "Customize -> Remove From Toolbar"

Second, open the Theme Settings and make a new theme with the following settings:

Background: #ffffff;
    Foreground: #3c4043;
    Highlight: #5b9ae9;
    Accent: #dee1e6;
    Accent Color from Active Page: Off;
    Apply Accent Color to Window: On;
    Transparent Tabs: On;
    Corner Rounding: 8px;

image.png.4ca1ce6c48932b5d071ec19a9558e9c2.png

Now, that's pretty much all you need. Just hide the Side panel and Status bar to get that clean look.

BUT, if you want to take it even further and get the rounded URL field as well, you can apply this custom CSS mod by using this file:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/8LurkE75

To learn how you can use custom CSS files to mod our UI, head over to this forum thread:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/10549/modding-vivaldi

Also, keep in mind you can use any Chrome Extension directly in Vivaldi👍

Let me know how it goes.

vivaldi-chrome.thumb.png.3ba59b461db77b0284eb3af02ace2e92.png

It works like a charm, and I'll find another good customization for this browser. Probably definitely switching to Vivaldi as even my usage for total of 8 hours, I've got way more better experience than using Chrome lol

Spoiler

1423213521_2020-10-1514_34.18linustechtips.com4112b480acd3.thumb.png.33b29b09831fba7b43ab3fb4e8af61b4.png

Makes me wondering. Your first post on LTT forum is here. Are you one of the developer or something like that?

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Makes me wondering. Your first post on LTT forum is here. Are you one of the developer or something like that?

Correct :) I work on the design team. 

A while ago, when I was younger I was with Firefox, but I switch a few years ago and use the standard now (right now I'm using safari). I don't know why?

57 minutes ago, atlemo said:

Correct :) I work on the design team. 

Man, it's neat and awesome that you even made an account just to point out about that rounded address bar. I'm glad you actually did it, as rounded thingies works best for me at least lol

Keep the good work of your guys. For real.

Little suggestion from me, somehow. Perhaps the address bar drop-down list of links can be made look simplified (or any options to customize it like so is appreciated either) like Chrome below here. Tbh this kind of simplicity and how clean it is, one of the reason I love Chrome.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.72d6433b9df36a85041687cb3a3f4481.png

And the bookmark bar, either.  It's actually fine but sometimes it kind of looks distracting with the different colors with the address bar above it.

Spoiler

image.png.81221f0bab1c74386a66c9de2e1fbb38.png

Or is there any way to customize it, like before using the .css? Sorry for bit too much asking but, yeah. Somehow I didn't find any way yet after I did looking up for it.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

7 minutes ago, Doolamiester said:

A while ago, when I was younger I was with Firefox, but I switch a few years ago and use the standard now (right now I'm using safari). I don't know why.

I barely tried Safari, to be honest. Probably because you already get used of it so, yeah. Like me with Chrome. Even on my few days handling a Apple device, I just download Chrome lol

1 hour ago, Wackywindowslover said:

i use chrome because ive used it for forever

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

like many before me in this thread, it's chrome. and basically because i got so used to the ecosystem that it's pretty hard to switch now.

especially since it syncs to my phone so easily.

This, actually true. One reason why I can't even move to Firefox no matter how I tried. But I realized somehow no matter how the ecosystem is good on Chrome/Android/Google's apps, I never actually utilizing it much other than the usual lol

Like, Google can easily save my cards and, on me, just remember the CVV and it fills it automatically. Somehow I barely using it much. And almost all browsers have such thing anyway.

That's why I'm still on trying of Vivaldi. Even trying it on my Android either. Yes, it doesn't have Google integration that much (which I barely use anyway), but, I thought, it's basically Chrome, with a lot better room for customization (I used Kiwi browser before since Android Chrome can't even dark-mode the Wikipedia page I read on some nights) and actually, same performance either.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I use the new Edge (chromium). It's a bit faster than chrome, is one of the best in saving RAM and has a lot of nice privacy features such as automatically deleting all cookies, history, etc. when closing the browser. I see no reason to use chrome over it.

Somehow I hate how Edge always puts it's shortcut on my taskbar every time I misclicked on it lol

But I admit. Edge's actually fine nowadays.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

I use Vivaldi and I like it a lot. I also use it because it's Norwegian :)

I do not have task bar issue you have OP with it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I use Vivaldi and I like it a lot. I also use it because it's Norwegian :)

I do not have task bar issue you have OP with it.

It's fixed already, thanks to @Abdullah Bhutta.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

16 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Man, it's neat and awesome that you even made an account just to point out about that rounded address bar. I'm glad you actually did it, as rounded thingies works best for me at least lol

Keep the good work of your guys. For real.

I have been a LTT-watcher for years so it was about time I made an account here ;)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what we can do.

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

Aye, I'm not alone 😄

Safari master race ;) 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I love Vivaldi but I hate how it seems to be behind chrome in versions often. I've had problems with several websites so far that told me my browser wasn't up to date and some would refuse to work therefore even, so I had to at least have firefox or chrome running on the side...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Just now, -iSynthesis said:

I love Vivaldi but I hate how it seems to be behind chrome in versions often. I've had problems with several websites so far that told me my browser wasn't up to date and some would refuse to work therefore even, so I had to at least have firefox or chrome running on the side...

That's odd. We're usually only a few weeks behind at most. And we also identify as Chrome in our User agent string, so websites should detect you as a Chrome user.

There's a new release today (just now!), please update and see if you have any further issues.

I use Chrome on my laptop and phone (Ram isn't an issue cause its pretty much all I use for those devices and they're both a bit overpowered) however I have Firefox as a secondary on both devices. 

On my desktop rig I use firefox because I don't need it to sync with work or school and I have no use for chrome extensions past the essentials that are on Firefox anyway, I enjoy the enhanced customisability of firefox and the nature of the rig is that it is in a public room and is not always attended to by myself so I have an internal password on it for sensitive information such as emails or banking etc. I am not sure if passwords exist in Chrome but I wouldn't want them on my laptop or phone anyway because those don't get left on in the same way with little security. 

I have got Chrome on the desktop rig just because there are the odd ocasions when I want to use some chrome features but those are rare. 

I can see how Ram is an issue and I can have a lot of tabs open at once (currently 86 across 3 accounts open on my laptop) but I never use my full ram, processor capacity, or battery even close to fully anyway and I like the convenience of keeping things open so I can flick between.

This has been a bit of a ramble

TL;DR I use Chrome and Firefox, Firefox is secondary on mobile devices cause work and Chrome is secondary on the rig cause I like its security features there.

Matthew Gilbride

15 minutes ago, atlemo said:

That's odd. We're usually only a few weeks behind at most. And we also identify as Chrome in our User agent string, so websites should detect you as a Chrome user.

There's a new release today (just now!), please update and see if you have any further issues.

Excellent! That did indeed fix it. Mainly had issues with BigBlueButton before (we use that at university) that just told me it simply won't run, lol

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

34 minutes ago, atlemo said:

Those context menu customization rocks. For real.

But I hope (and I'd wait for it) there's any for the link right-click on menu as I always accidentally clicked on "Open Link in New Tab" and it just moves me to that tab. Annoying on myself lol as I usually browse with a lot of background tabs when I found something. I know middle click works but some of us are using trackpad that made that impossible to do so (well, if that's possible but I don't wanna sacrifice my current trackpad gestures lol). 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

8 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

But I hope (and I'd wait for it) there's any for the link right-click on menu as I always accidentally clicked on "Open Link in New Tab" and it just moves me to that tab. Annoying on myself lol as I usually browse with a lot of background tabs when I found something. I know middle click works but some of us are using trackpad that made that impossible to do so.

That's the plan.

6 minutes ago, atlemo said:

That's the plan.

Nice! Waiting for it then.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

7 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Problem on Vivaldi is this, unfortunately. Left one's what pinned on taskbar, yet when it's opened, it's on the right. Didn't found the fix yet and to be honest it's kind of distracting me.

I mean... Chrome is no better in that department for me.image.png.ad0d30cd340e975f026182220546dbd1.png

I use Vivaldi.

-I like having usable bookmarks that I can access quickly and easily even if I were drunk. Simple move the cursor to the side of the screen and click to open the side panels.

-I like closing my last tab... And for the fucking browser to stay OPEN, lending me back on the homepage.

-I like having built-in mouse gestures that just works on every pages on the browser (gesture extensions for Chrome don't work everywhere, like internal chrome pages).

-I like simply being able to take notes, include a screenshot, a link to the website it was taken on and what not... Straight from my browser.

-Built in adblock, nice.

-Speed Dial, when bookmarks are good, but a functional homepage that shows exactly the sites that you will be accessing on the daily with an uncluttered interface, is better.

-All that, WITHOUT REQUIRING A SINGLE EXTENSION to emulate these features, like I previous did when I used Firefox. I'm only using 4 extensions at the moment on Vivaldi. Dark Reader, BetterTTV, Keepa and Tampermonkey. None of these affect the browser itself, just specific webpages.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro